Permanent longer cool down on Soldiers of Fortune?

I just found out that once you build the second and third production building permanently increases unit production cool down (even if they are destroyed).

I thought once I have the necessary structures/upgrades I would just have to destroy extra production buildings so I can benefit short cooldown again, but no.

Once the cooldown is lengthened by second or third production building it stays even if those are destroyed.

Why this is such a problem is you really need an Armory or Barrack so you can get necessary upgrades (For Mechanical/Starport units) and defence (Railguns for trains) but you need to build other production buildings to unlock them.

My proposal is while enabling tech trees (spending more time and resources is a penalty on its own) but remove permanent longer cooldown if the second and third buildings are destroyed.

I’m a little confused by what the issue is supposed to be, here.

What made you believe that destroying production buildings would allow you to cheat the prestige? The whole point of Nova’s P1 is that you specialize in one production structure at the expense of others. What makes you believe that this should be negated by destroying said structures?

I’m also not quite sure what the issue is with the tech tree. You can build your first production structure and then build out your tech tree as normal - faster in fact, since parts of it are already unlocked by P1. If you wanted to rush armory upgrades but you went Barracks or Starport first, you can still build your factory second and build the armory from there.

Your proposal would just negate the weakness of P1 in a weird, unintuitive way. I don’t really see the need for it.

14 Likes

I too am a little confuzzled here.

1 Like

So you want to cheat the prestige by destroying the second and third buildings to get the normal cooldown while only keeping the advantage of the first building? Sure it’s an extra waste of minerals and gas to destroy and rebuild, but the cooldown reduction makes up for it with how fast it is.

Nova doesn’t need to worry about fast armory or railgun in the early game since she has Defensive Drone, so you can simply build your needed buildings in midgame after making the other 2 buildings.

Edit: You also make it sound like you want to use the other two buildings’ units to mix in, in which case just go Nova P0.

1 Like

If you’re going to go through all the trouble of killing your own buildings then why not play regular Nova?

3 Likes

So permanent enlongated cooldown even if other combat unit production building is as intended?

Ok, let me make myself clear in this.

So for example you are playing Oblivion express and against terrans.
You want to go for sky units but you need armory to get an upgrade but armory is locked by Factory tech tree, which leave you no choice but to build factory to get armory to unlock starport upgrades.

And then since you are playing against terrans which comes to your base to nuke it you want to build railgun which is locked by Barrack Tech tree.

My initial impression is… since as long as “Second and Third production building” is on map my starport cooldown is elongated but if I get rid of these buildings after I build what I want, the unit cooldown will be decreased back to its initial state.
But it turns out the elongated cooldown is permanent which it doesn’t go away even if the production buildings locking the tech tree is destroyed.

I was confused at how this prestige works exactly.
You are saying is this penalty permanent right? Not an overlook?

1st unit production building cooldown is shorter
Other unit production building cooldowns are longer…they do not affect the cooldowns of the first one you built.

2 Likes

Didn’t they remove the tech requirement for p1 after they expanded it from suicide bio only into the first building you do? You have some creative ideas, but im pretty sure this one is working as intended.

Otherwise it could be absurd for Nova to be able to get +100% faster cds with a 6 ravens/liberators army and any comp really. You already max out 100/100 pretty well on Nova and shouldn’t ever really use a lot of units with drones.

The cds helps her army diversify and use even lesser units like hellbats with goliaths and siege tanks and liberators normally and building a strong rounded out army with strengths instead of just stacking the 1 or 2 meta mineral/gas units that work best in another commander.

Take a look at Zeratul, arguably ever comp he can make is powerful but most of it just boils down to Shieldguards and stalkers maybe ± 1-2 observers and a immortal if you want or dark templar. But most guides will suggest just massing a couple of the same units for him while Nova tends to use nearly every unit due to cds.

Nova is one of the few commanders who feels naturally rounded out to use all 3 with her cds and ravens to heal, Liberators to eat hybrid and trains or tanks to siege and mine vast areas while Marines offer cheap mineral dps and even hellbats offer a reliable mineral dump or aoe supplement for stealth suit if you need.

1 Like

Yup, the first one type of structure gains a permanent cool down reduction, regardless of whether there’s other ones built or if the original structure is destroyed.

1 Like

But… if you want to go skyterran, nothing’s forcing you to go rax/factory first.

Like yeah, you want to get armory and defense turrets, but you don’t need those immediately. Build a starport at 15, so the prestige applies to it, then build the other structures so you can have your prerequisites.

Not sure what the problem is.

EDIT: Wait, did you think that building rax/factory makes your STARPORT cooldowns longer? That’s not how it works at all.

First structure you make gets charges faster. Second and third structures get charges slower. It’s a replacement for the old version of the prestige, which was “barracks gets charges faster, factory/starport get charges slower.” The ONLY structure affected by the order you build is the first one.

3 Likes

Your example is applying to the mid game with Nukes and big waves of enemies that need an upgrade supposedly locked by Armory. By the mid game you should have already built all 3 buildings as well as Armory/Engineering Bay. The early game can be carried with solo Nova and maybe some Marines, even after building a Barracks after a Starport.

1 Like

The only thing I would like them to change is the dependency of Railguns on the Barracks. Either remove the dependency completely or let me unlock turrets through either unit production building. This won’t break anything and is not even a real buff, it would just smooth the prestige a bit (so you can use a turret for breaking rocks or something).

1 Like

OK nevermind clearly I had a some misunderstanding of this prestige.

I thought by building second and third production building would affect my first buildings as well which is my Starport, but this is not how prestige works.

Bottom line, I made a thread which probably isn’t worth it (I simply mistook its concept to a degree).
I apologize for my mistake everyone, and thank you spending time for answering and replying to OP.

4 Likes

No longer confuzzled.

1 Like

I think Ravens should have the regular cooldown if you dont pick starport first, they’re are quintessential to your army.

3 Likes

Geez I didn’t understand your main post at all. I was like this :dizzy_face:

First combat production structure get lower CD. The other two combat production structures get higher CD. These are permanent even if they are destroyed. Only time they would be destroyed if something went wrong in the game where you and / or your partner messed up. I would not destroy the structure intentionally.

1 Like

Not really IMO, Ravens are great but each of Nova’s units are strong enough to make due without Ravens (Healing is done by their own regen mastery and they are durable enough with barrier drones).
Besides with Nova’s Death ball and fine control, Ravens with every 10 minutes is still good enough.

Mercenary bug

Charging from 0-1 takes 150 seconds

The charging time from 1-2 is 1:00-3:30, which is 150 seconds

The charging time from 2-3 is 3:30-8:31, which is 300 seconds

The charging time from 3-4 is 8:31-13:31, which is 300 seconds

Charging from 4-5 takes 13:31-18:31, which is 300 seconds

If the charge stack is between 0-1, the charge rate is always 150 seconds

When a branch first stacks up to level 2, the call time of that branch becomes 300 seconds,

If the unit is called, the stack time accumulated before will be reset,

The current and subsequent permanent charging time is calculated from the accumulated time.

Example 1: Summon immediately when you get to level 2, then the permanent charging time of this time and after is 300 seconds

Example 2: if you wait for about 250 seconds for a part of the charge between layers 2-4,

Then the next call stack time is permanently changed to 250 seconds, and so on, with a minimum of 150 seconds.

If you stack directly to 5, it will always be 150 seconds without exception

In other words, there are two solutions:

â‘  Never stack to 2 layers.

② Stack to level 5 and call again.

I’m not sure I understood this. It seems interesting though. Any way someone got this can explain?

???
What’s the problem here? Soldier of Fortune only applies to your combat units. Needing to build a structure for tech isn’t an issue, since your primary focus should be on your first production structure made. If you could bypass the downside of Soldier of Fortune, then what is even the point of having Prestige downsides?
And before anyone responds to me with “But X prestige exists and it has basically no downside!” I know. They exist all over the place, but that isn’t the point here.