New short story: Waking Dreams

A bit more action focused than One People, One Purpose, and a smaller exploration of ideas than the protoss post-lotv, but it fills in some gaps from Covert Ops and explores some of what it’s like to be a Ghost given their freedom. Still no confirmation on Stone being Johnny Raynor, even though it sort of doubles down on that almost certainly being the case

5 Likes

I’d read a proper novel about stone finding his way. Maybe they can get Zahn on it again.

Honestly, there is a big focus on Stone now for some reason, he narrates Cradle of Death, he’s the reward for doing all the new campaign achievements, and now this.

I think there’s more to him than we realize, Blizzard gonna do something with him.

1 Like

that could be interesting.

I really enjoyed the short story, actually

3 Likes

He has a good voice actor for sure. I don’t know who he is other than coop and some of nova but he has a pretty nice voice. Don’t mind if he becomes a narrator or gets a more major role in something or a announcer for Tosh or something.

1 Like

Anyone else think the timeline is a bit messy? In the comic, Nova stop wipe her own memory out of choice and many Ghost at that point seem to choose against false memory. Yet, Stone act like this is some surprise news. Kind of weird, right?

Stone had his memories modified by the DOM, remember? His timeline is confused on purpose.

6 Likes

My guess has always been they’re seeding him for a future game. Kind of make him a clear but defined background character so that when he does show up it’ll be a major thing.

I’m not saying it’s because he’s Raynor’s psionic son from Liberty’s Crusade who they say had likely his death faked so they could get him in the ghost program, but I’ll keep banging that drum until it becomes true.

3 Likes

Not too shabby, but I prefered the Protoss one.

2 Likes

Who is Johnny Raynor? Is he Jimmy’s brother?

His son. From his first wife.

:exploding_head:

I know, right? He has a son and a wife. Yet, he pine after Kerrigan while they’re just a footnote.

1 Like

Had. Liddy died of flu. She was mourning hardcore.

1 Like

The reason is simple, “there is no worse nostalgy than for what never happened” the unfinished does not disappoint, they were not withered with time, they were a victim of fate
Liberty Crusade implies that her loss of her son is what allows her to empathize with Kerrigan beyond “you are a pig”,
The good ending of Ariel’s missions implies what Liddy means, she was his good end and ended, he treated a peaceful life and it did not work out

Tychus : Damn shame Doc Hanson stayed behind. She was just about to fall for my roguish charms too. You ain’t gonna tell me you weren’t just a little bit tempted to stay with her, are ya?

Raynor : I been down that road before, Tychus. I took my shot at a normal life a long time ago. Ain’t no going back now.

Tychus : Huh. Couple of badasses like us ain’t cut out for the quiet life anyway. Yes sir, destiny’s got us pegged for something way bigge

1 Like

Just read this story and I enjoyed it. I liked finding a little more out about Pierce and Delta.

1 Like

I kinda wanted Nova to kick his butt though.

1 Like

She showed compassion for her teammates and fellow Ghosts in-game though, so I think it went in line with her character well enough.

It made perfect sense for her not to, I would just love to see it.

2 Likes