My favorite aspect of the campaigns

If Amon can make as many Hybrids as he wants why does he need the Zerg? If the Zeratul vision is right he doesn’t really have plans with the Zerg after the Protoss are done with. Why doesn’t he use the Tal’darim as well to destroy the Daellamas?

Funny thing : Amon acknowledges Kerrigan as the only one who can prevent his victory in Zeratul’s vision. But right until Ouros choses her to be the next Xel’Naga neither he or Narud don’t even seem to care about her : everytime they and her forces clashes it’s Kerrigan who knocked at their door : Skygeirr, the lab in the Prologue, Ulnar. It’s noticeable because the Daelaam and the Dominion were attacked first. You’d think that they would at least actively try to kill her if she truly was seen as the key…

1 Like

@Gradius

Since we don’t know what Duran was doing that whole time, anything you (or I) say is simply speculation. Could he have been doing squat? Sure, it’s possible, though I’d say doubtful.

In terms of making Hybrids, again, is that all that he was working on, or was there more? Perhaps he was doing stuff with the Keystone, perhaps he was doing stuff with the Tal’darim? Perhaps he was doing things on Ulnar? We just don’t know.

According to the game, compared to Kerrigan, the Protoss are overrated.

As I said, at least the earlier ones.

Fair enough, my bad.

1 Like

There’s a lot of things I really like about the story, but I’d never say that it’s a perfect story.

Many of the criticisms (Like how Jimmy went from “I’m the man who’s gonna kill you someday” to “I never gave up on you, Sarah” between BW and HotS) are quite valid, and I think Blizzard could have fixed that issue just by changing/adding a few lines of dialogue.

But it’s unlikely that they’d go back and change it now that they’ve already concluded the story, so I don’t really dwell on it.

1 Like

@Beacon of Positivity, Juxtaposed and Emperor Probius, the ruler of Probe

Allow me to bust in a little, as I always do. For an eternal being like the Xel’naga, their sense of time should be a little different from us. So million of year should be something that they can totally just wait it out. So, until the void phone was established and Amon’s resurrection, I could believe that Duran just simply don’t have a way to order to Tal’darim around. And he just wait for the Zerg to take their natural course because it doesn’t matter for him whether or not thing happens this century or the next.

1 Like

Yeah, I get that. The fact that his fan fiction is completely incompatible with the canon in general really put me off. I mean fanfics don’t have to be consistent with every obscure lore. It can even have some implications that is in conflict with the main story. The line is blurred, but he is so over it that is clearly overboard.

That’s very kind of you. I think you should do it. Since it seemed the version that I read was old, could you get back to me about how adherents to the canon it is, now?

Regardless, I’ll reframe from making any comment toward it. Emperor and I once give it a go; it went disastrous. Until I understand his purpose and his goal, I don’t think any further attempts from my part would be helpful. You feel free to give it a go, though. Your approach might be the right one.

So according to the official timeline, its approximately 3000 years between Amon’s death and the events of the game. That is, admittedly, a long time to put the hybrids on the backburner… for a terran. But for the protoss, its only 3 lifetimes. For a Xel’naga, who saw the beginning of the universe, it may not even be a meaningful amount of time. He could easily have been shaping the Tal’darim culture the whole time, establishing the Chain of Ascension for Amon, who could not readily be contacted for day to day management of it. In fact, he pretty much had to have been driving them, otherwise they wouldn’t have been able to stay so on point with Amon’s plans.

1 Like

Where’s it say 3000 years?

math. Its ~2500 in game, and ~-500 when the khala was first created. yes, minus 500, as in 500 BC

They sure compressed the crap out of that timeline. Went from the Overmind’s “countless millenia” to 3 millenia. And apparently that was enough time for Zerus to go from ashworld to jungle.

1 Like

According to the planetary shot, most of zerus is still actively volcanic, similar to Char.

Anyway, its pretty clear that they were either unclear on their timeline at the time BW was written, or didn’t actually know what millennia were.

Also, there’s a lot of visible lava on the map during the third Zerus mission. Yagdra and Kraith’s lair are filled with it.

1 Like

The fact that it’s still highly volcanic makes it make even less sense that it’s a jungle now. Zerg lived on it for centuries and it was still “lifeless and burning” when the Overmind left it.

Then again, you can’t really read the SC1 manual anymore without thinking “retconned”. Same with this overly compressed timeline.

The Zerg were also originally written as parasites that burrowed into other native organisms on their planet in order to control them and steal their DNA, iirc. “Lifeless and burning” was clearly hyperbole if both Zerg and other organisms found a way to live on it.

Plus, considering the rate at which Zerg can evolve, it’s more than plausible to suggest that, after being uplifted by Amon, the remaining Zerg would have quickly been able to adapt to Zerus’ conditions to reshape it into a flourishing jungle world, despite the toxic air, extreme heat and other hardships.

And to be frank, in general, I really don’t care if the creator decides to retcon an old, insignificant portion of the story. Before HotS, you wouldn’t even know Zerus existed unless you happened to read the manual.

2 Likes

Good, you’ll be ready for when SC3 comes out and retcons this stuff again.

Yes? Is there a point you’re trying to make here? If the story of SC3 is bad, it won’t be because they retconned the color of Jim Raynor’s underwear before he became Marshal.

1 Like

If the story of SC3 is bad it’s because they’ll have a writer who places the importance of basic consistency and worldbuilding on par with Raynor’s underwear.

Honestly, you can have a story with very inconsistent wordbuilding and constant retcons of major plot points, and still have a lot of success with it.

Just look at JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure. There’s an entire meme dedicated to the inconsistency and retcons throughout the story: “Araki Forgot”.

Example: Why did they say in Part 3 that “There’s no such thing as a world inside a mirror”, but in Part 5, there’s a guy who creates a world inside a mirror? Araki Forgot.

Everytime someone makes that argument it usually boils down to something that’s successful despite retcons. If you have two identical stories where one makes sense and the other one doesn’t, the first is objectively better.

You could argue that retconning something allows the writer to go down a more interesting path. But I’d argue that’s lazy and the writer could have just thought through the structure of his story better.

I can see something like blatant retcons working for an anime that doesn’t take itself seriously, but not for StarCraft which is a war story that frequently tries to be epic & dark.

@Gradius

Just to make my stand clear. If we are on the timeline is ridiculously compressed, I’m right by your side. However, I still stand by my point that 3,000 or even 5,000 is ‘short’ enough for Duran Ansbach Amon to just wait it out.