My favorite aspect of the campaigns

I see. And why this particular game? Why don’t you just join those popular community? What is so special about StarCraft?

Give me one example where we actually cyber bully you. All we did is shedding your opinion. It’s not a personal attack. If you’re really hurt over this, then you need to cut off all social life.

Part of being in a society is that people will disagree. Your idea will be rejected. Your opinion, overturn. Tolerate this is the minimum requirement to be a part of any community.

Look, we haven’t gone that far. Nobody names you anything, yet. I hope you’re joking or being over dramatic about the suicide part.

Thank you.

I think my problem is that I perceive you guys as ignoring the flaws with Starcraft and being irrationally angry when told flaws may exist. Am I seeing what isn’t there?

If you guys all said “sure the story is bad, so we ignore it and enjoy the game anyway” then I might not have gone down this dark path years ago. I find it much easier to talk with the WarCraft community since everybody acknowledges the story is broken and they have to turn their brains off to stay sane.

My feelings have been shredded for a while, but thank you for thinking of me. I’m touched.

A combination of things.

• The American Civil War recycled in space, at least until it was trashed.
  • The protoss being a combination of the Eldar and Imperium from 40k and the Federation from Star Trek, at least until they became irrelevant wimps.
  • The zerg, at least until Overmind died. They’re tyranids with personality, which makes them unique in all of scifi lit (aside from the Necrophages in Endless Legend), but no writer has used them effectively. Everyone who tried gave up. Blizz turned them into Kerry’s slaves. Gradius abandoned his Origins campaign.

I’ve tried writing an original universe many times and I constantly find myself copying these ideas, as well as plenty of other details from the manual lore and the alpha/beta lore. I like the concepts but feel Blizzard screwed the pooch in their execution.

It doesn’t help that I’m the only person in the universe interested in exploring these concepts. Whenever I try to start group brainstorm sessions nobody is interested or somebody actively tells me off.

This isn’t the only forum I visit. I’ve been ignored or browbeaten for years everywhere I went. It’s exhausting and soul-crushing.

While undiagnosed, I’m almost certainly clinically depressed. I’ve made suicide threats multiple times the years I’ve been browbeaten when pursuing this line of inquiry. One of these days I might actually do it.

I was hit by a car once. Seeing that screaming metal death trap hurtling toward me is the most terrifying moment in my life. In the moments afterward, before people noticed and called paramedics, I was completely stunned, paralyzed, barely conscious from the concussion, and for a moment I thought I was dead. In lying on the road like a corpse, I felt oddly relieved. I felt like all my cares in the world had suddenly vanished, like I was a newborn looking at the world for the first time. Then the shock wore off and I came crashing back to harsh, agonizing reality. The pain from my broken bones was excruciating. It was a miracle I wasn’t left crippled for life.

Dying doesn’t seem so bad anymore, aside from your loved ones mourning you. Suffering in life is what scares me.

I’m sorry for being a complete a-hole about Starcraft too. I’m frustrated that there’s no fandom for starcraft but with better writing. My host of mental issues make it difficult for me to engage with others.

It’s not me, it’s Skehan.

1 Like

Part of your problem is that you’re going into a video game expecting a classic novel’s level of story telling, which is an expectation that will only lead to disappointment.

It’s sort of like going to read one of Asmiov’s novel expecting a great UI. To control the ships he’s writing about.

They’re vastly different mediums with different priorities and methods of storytelling.

Duran was focused on bringing Amon back, and that’s all we know. You always say he was doing absolutely nothing, except you have no proof of that.

Of course, we’ve been over this before, but because we haven’t been flat out told what he was doing, you declare it was nothing and won’t consider any other possibility.

Kerrigan is more powerful than the Hybrids though, certainly the earlier ones, considering post-deinfestation her was able to tear them apart shortly after finding the strength to get out of a hospital bed. Literally.

You’ve oft created your own hell, I’m afraid.

Nothing anybody has ever offered as an explanation has been good enough for the countless millennia since Amon’s death. Nothing should ever take that long, especially considering how pathetically little Duran accomplished by the start of the Great War. Zerg werent even in the k sector. Zero hybrids made. Zerg, Tal’darim and khalai are all doing their own thing instead of being under Duran’s yoke. And apparently he still had no clue how to bring Amon back until Kerrigan randomly got infested because she’s the chosen savior blah blah blah.

Yes, technically it is possible he was doing “something” for thousands of years, but nothing that makes him look competent and/or like this whole plot wasn’t shoehorned in without any thought by the writers at the last second.

There’s no accounting for bad writing. How is Kerrigan anything but a Mary Sue from that description? Completely childish considering that protoss are supposed to be the elder race of natural psychics.

Either way, we know there’s different varying levels of hybrids. The ones Kerrigan killed must be weaker than a hybrid reaver which is weaker than a Dominator which is stronger than primal Kerrigan yet weaker than Amon’s host body.

Considering that it took Duran only 4-6 years to make Dominators, he could have easily created them or even stronger ones had he actually done his one job and started “countless millennia” ago. Needing the energy from a single human is just childish and nonsensical.

The ;p face generally means that it’s a joke.

I’ve actually had a great time here, which is why I keep coming back.

1 Like

Yes, you’re definitely seeing thing. We’re miff at you for a completely different reason. We know about the flaw; we’re just not bother by it. At least I don’t. We’re not angry because you tell us about the flaw. It’s mostly because you misinterpreted the lore so much that your points make no sense and then attack us for contradicting you. You keep imposing your opinion and taste on us; you don’t even care what we like. You lash on us constantly and ignore our opinion.

Saying sorry doesn’t mean anything if you don’t follow it up with an appropriate action. So stop lashing at us, I don’t care how you were treated elsewhere, it has no stand in your behavior here. Understand that your idea and taste is highly subjective. I hate what you like and that’s okay. I like the way this game handle Confederacy, Overmind and the conclave. This is my taste learn to accept and respect it. And lastly, just play the damn game. And no not the way you once tried; play it from the begging till the end like we did. Be open minded, seriously, a lot of people enjoy it. If you really like RTS genre, you shouldn’t have problem playing this game.

Then go seek professional help. Really, I think it’s something that you truly need. You won’t leave a broken arm unattended, would you? So why do you leave your mind unhealthy? If you get this work up from the internet, you really should see someone.

And so we deserve to endure your temper?

With how much people live in this whole world, you’re not the only at anything. As I told you prior, the lack of interested in your work is an indication that it’s not interesting. It seems that you want to create a community around your work. I would like to ask why? You didn’t give me any reason that show me you love StarCraft. I refuse to believe that the manual intrigue you so much that you just have to work in this universe. All I see from your reasons is that ‘I like part of this story, but I hate most of it in general’. I cannot believe that there is no better literature that appeals to you more. Especially since you like to tell us to go reading them so much. Why don’t you just write a Lovecraftian fanfic? I’m sure there is a lot of community for you; already made.

1 Like

You keep saying that, but the fact of the matter is that Tricky isn’t a AAA game studio. Even if his fanfiction was pure gold, it’s more than likely people still aren’t going to care. I’ve seen fan campaigns that have better writing than Blizzard’s. Straight up. They are currently forgotten & at the wayside.

I see. What is your opinion on his fanfiction, then?

Skehan approves, ye, the Beacon of Positivity. So do I, but that don’t matter.

Love triangle! Love triangle everywhere!

(I hope my joke is not too late)

Yes it does. You are one of the pillars of justice upon which this forum has been built, your phallic form jutting out into the sky as a symbol for all to see.

3 Likes

Haven’t read it because it’s not official canon. :man_shrugging:

I liked some of the timelines & settings he posted on sclegacy, though there was no actual plot in there.

And what a sight it is, amidst the black forests.

Why don’t we give his expanded idea a read and tell 'im what we think? It looks like he could use the potential support (at least mentally).

1 Like

There isn’t really a lot that you can to do to parseit to make sense. If the Overmind is working for Amon, and the Tal’darim are also working for amon, them Duran should have everything he needs to make Hybrid at the ready for thousands of years.

Unless, as I’ve posited before, Orous, being the lying git that he is, greatly exaggerated the amount of control Amon had over the Overmind. and Duran had no real access to the Zerg until after it’s death and the subsequent Brood War fractured the Swarm. (Which would jive with Duran saying Kerrigans ascendance accelerated his plans, rather than completely ruining them.). Obviously it doesn’t explain everything, even the confederacy was able to experiment on enough zerg to develop the Psi Disruptor and Emitters, so you’d think it wouldn’t be too hard for a literal Xel’Naga to get a hold of a few but whatever.

1 Like

My idea is that they just came up with the story after they was lookin’ for something to do in StarCraft 2 and they didn’t really bother much.

The Overmind isn’t working for Amon, the Overmind is working for the Overmind. He has certain behavioral constraints, but he absolutely working towards his own agenda and resents it when he furthers Amon’s.

Besides, the Swarm is supposed be used to annihilate the protoss, so to that end its within Duran’s own interests to just let them be, taking their time and getting stronger.

2 Likes

Which makes no sense.

Why not? Amon wants to make the hybrid then tear down everything else out of spite. That requires the protoss to be annihilated. Why bother wasting his own resources on it when he can just have the zerg and protoss beat the snot out of each other, then come in and clean up whats left?

1 Like

Hows he going to make hybrid in the first place without the protoss? He’s destroying his own stock.

If he sent the Overmind to assimilate the protoss, not destroy, that would actually make sense.

He has the Tal’darim separated and indoctrinated already, and the Overmind doesn’t, AFAIK, know about them.

Besides which, his work on the zerg wasn’t finished before he died. The Overmind obviously didn’t just abandon Amon to go chase after the protoss as soon as it was capable of leaving Zerus, so Amon must have had some sort of leash on it to keep it where he wanted it.

1 Like