Most Wanted Commanders

how said before, Artanis is the SC1 Executor, this is confirmed by a lot of sources.
*Queen of Blades novel
*Sacrifice comic book
*LotV

and maybe even in some other source… for now I remember just this 3

Maybe I was wrong then, but I thought it was Tassadar in SC1 before BW…

Tassadar was the executor for the terran campaign where he has to purify the terran worlds from the zerg, but he defies orders and refuses to burn Tarsonis, then snubs the Conclave when he ignores their orders to return to Aiur and instead investigates Kerrigan.

After that, the Conclave strips him of his rank of executor, and gives it to Artanis, who you play as in the Episode III campaign. It gets weird though since for some unknown reason Artanis then gets demoted to praetor in Brood War, then the new executor takes over. There’s theories but it’s yet to be canonically explained.

1 Like

in the briefing of BW was said Artanis was promoted, but I think that was because when they make BW the SC1 Executor and Artanis was 2 distinct characters, and Blizzard decided only after to make them the same character.

He doesn’t say promoted, he says “appointed,” which is a pretty important in the context of making sense of the transition between SC1 and BW. The exact wording is:

“Executor, I am Artanis. Though I have only recently been appointed praetor, you can trust that I will uphold the honor and traditions of the Templar.”

Very obviously they intended to make them different initially, but they may have wanted to make him more important in the story. Still, the wording doesn’t strictly imply it was a strict promotion, I have always thought it was a side-grade before the Conclave got wiped out for turning against them, or perhaps a demotion after he refused to follow whatever order led to the Conclave getting wiped out in the wake of the Overmind’s death. It does also reframe Aldaris’s statement afterward of an almost angry “we shall see.”

Mmmh… maybe I make confusion with the italian version… or I just remembered wrong that

Looking at my past posts in this thread I don’t think I went into why I want Rohana and why I’d like her to represent a full Daelaam Commander. Using units from each of the 4 Protoss factions that make up the Daelaam (Templar, Nerazim, Purifier, and Tal’darim).

As of right now we don’t have a Protoss Commander that uses units from each of the 4 factions; making a proper Daelaam Commander. Artanis should have been the one to get them but he oddly enough; he didn’t end up in that role.

Vorazun is full Nerazim, Karax is Templar tech with Purifier units, Alarak is full Tal’darim, Talandar is full Purifier, and Zeratul is Xel’naga tech. Selendis will likely fill the role of Golden Armada which would mostly be Templar.

This leaves us with Rohana to fill the role. She has among the most experience with each faction (more so than Selendis) and while she started off protesting aligning with the Non-Templar; she in the end became a supporter of the union.

If you are wondering why these factions would willing join under Rohana’s command; the answer is simple. Artanis is the Heirarch who has the loyal following of all in the Daelaam (including the leadership of each faction Vorazun and Talandar with the exception of Alarak who did not join the Daelaam; but allowed some portion of the Tal’darim to join). Those of the Tal’darim obey their superiors no matter the directive. So, even they would follow Rohana if ordered to by their new Heirarch.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when the Spear of Adun was under attack and Artanis put Karax (a Phasesmith) in command of a mission in which all factions followed. No faction was restricted. So, if Karax can lead them; why couldn’t a Grand Preserver?

As far as units; I can’t say what Blizzard would give Rohana. However, my hope would be something like:

• Zealot (Tal’darim)
  • Preserver (Templar) (Detector)
  • Adept (Nerazim)
  • High Templar/Archon (Purifier)
  • Scout (Nerazim)
  • Void Ray (Purifier)
  • Arbiter (Templar)
  • Tempest (Tal’darim)

Maybe a Calldown could be Stone Zealots? Perhaps she could build 2 probes at a time? Perhaps she could enrich minerals for a limited time?

This won’t likely be what units we get but I hope it gives an idea of what I’d hope we get.

1 Like

I always liked to think she’d just get a War Council starting structure, named after the room in the LOTV campaign where you selected from one of three faction options for units (and the room she spent most of the campaign in, to boot).

I see her as being able to choose specific factions to lock in for individual units that she would have to stick with for the rest of the mission, each having their own perks and abilities. They could be units not yet seen, like with the Purifier Void Ray option you mentioned, or older units with a new unique spin from yet another faction (Nerazim Stalker with a unique Khalai inspired ability).

Commanders need a unique mechanic, as demonstrated by all other newer ones, and I think this kind of option of picking and choosing from a huge variety of factional forces as the mission and enemy composition requires, would fit her to a tee.

3 Likes

I think I remember seeing that War Council idea before. I actually really like that idea! If you don’t mind I’ll start adding that idea to my future arguments for Rohana!

That idea actually also fits representing Legacy of the Void quite well to.

Are there any units you think fit Rohana more than others? I think a unit that is required for Rohana is the Preserver. They’d make great detectors similar to Alarak’s Havocs.

I’m curious of how the War Council UI? (is that the right phrase?) would look. What would the set up be in game?

1 Like

A good question. I could see several different ways of doing it. The one that comes to mind most prominently, is the War Council having each representation of her units in it, and clicking on it to change the command menu to one just showing a number of different options for that unit, where you could pick one to permanently ‘Lock in’ that choice for that unit. That would then unlock that unit at its respective production structure, as well as unlock researches for that specific factional unit at its tech structure.

2 Likes

Kind of like Zeratul’s Legions? Hmmmm. That could work. Choose let’s say; Nerazim Zealot, Tal’darim Zealot, or Classic (Starcraft 1) Zealot. Pick one and it is permanent for that match. Same could go for other units like Nerazim Adepts, Templar Dragoons, Purifier Stalkers?

2 Likes

Yes, I was going to say, another option instead of a War Council structure would just be a top bar styled after it, working similarly to Zeratul’s legion in display. That way, you could see all your unit choices you have made in real time, it’s just that depending on her number of different units, that could be a rather long Top Bar.

1 Like

I like the War Council idea better.

1 Like

Are there are units that you think Rohana should use?

Like maybe one of her early anti air options should be Nerazim Adept, Purifier Stalker, or Templar Dragoon? An idea like that. What are your own choices?

What I think of for Rohana is having two layers of choices. First, the unit itself, for an example for Ranged Gateway: Dragoon, Stalker, and Adept.

After selecting one, perhaps a process that comes with a research and time cost to unlock said unit, they start with a basic ability or passive that other commanders, or the base ladder faction, generally have to research (Singularity Charge, Blink, and Psionic Projection).

Then each unit has a separate Factional Choice to make for an Upgrade specific to that unit. Like, say, Rohana picked the Stalker. Then, for that unit, she gets the choice of three researches of only one she can pick, like Phase Reactor for Nerazim, Phasing Armor for Taldarim, or if she picks Purifier, a purifier inspired upgrade that makes Blink do AoE damage in a fiery radius.

In that example, picking Stalker, a Nerazim faction unit, she could get basically Vorazun’s version of the unit by going Nerazim-Nerazim. Picking the Phasing Armor instead makes them more like Slayers by going Nerazim-Taldarim, while the third is brand new at Nerazim-Purifier.

If Rohana picked Dragoons instead, getting it and its Singularity Charge with it, she’d then three separate faction upgrades to choose from for it, as well. The Khalai choice, Trillic Compression Systems, if you wanted basically Artanis Dragoons by going Khalai-Khalai. I see a Nerazim upgrade for it being the unlock of a standard issue Blink for the Dragoon, while a potential Taldarim upgrade could be splashing for half damage around the target.

The idea is that you get two tiers of factional choice for kind of unit; the unit itself and the upgrade. You can stay true to the unit’s factional philosophy or mix and match units with other factional upgrades, like Adepts (a Purifier choice) being mixed with Resonating Glaives (a Khalai upgrade choice that boosts attack speed), essentially going Purifier-Khalai for the ranged gateway unit.

The theme being that Rohana, taking Artanis’ advice in stepping into the new age of cooperation between all the Protoss factions, can choose from units and upgrades from a great many of them, some reused, and some brand new, and mixing them in together in new ways.

2 Likes

It would be metal if Rohana can summon the great protoss heroes of the past.
Have her summon the Great ADUN who is the like bigger and stronger version Artanis and throws Psionic Storms like no tomorrow!!

Id like to see Tosh.
I really liked his character during the campaign.
Quiet how he would play, and crucially differentiate from Nova I’m not sure.

1 Like

Now that Blizzcon is weeks away; I want to see if there are any changes in which Commanders might be the most wanted and if it’ll line up with who might get announced.

So far; Tosh is the most wanted by far with Selendis in second. Terran might be the most likely to get a Commander.

Still, at this point I’d say either Tosh or Valerian will be the next Commander. If not either them; I’d like to see either Selendis or Rohana.

Terrans are likely to get one commander and it’s likely one with a hero unit which makes Tosh a good candidate.

I’d personally would love to see a UED themed army with either Lt. Morales or DuGalle, or any sort of KMC/Confederate themed army.

I’d say Warfield is also a decent pick for a new commander, but we’ll see soon.

So, (if you haven’t voted) who would you want? (1 choice)