More Zerg air units that can burrow?

The only one that can is the Infested Banshee. Ironically enough, a Zerg infested version of a Terran unit no less. Both Stukov’s version, and Amon’s version on ME. For the former, micro lets them burrow to set up some ambushes, but more so for the enhanced healing and energy regen (even if Amon has detection, you still get the +2 attack range). For the latter, I’m convinced the only utility for that is when a shuttle takes off, they can immediately leave the battle space along with other infested units who also burrow when it’s done.

For those thinking it may be odd for air units to burrow, recall that the the Ultralisk that was deemed to monstrously large to burrow in Sc1 eventually got that ability in Sc2. Ambush scenarios wouldn’t be that useful, and stuff that’d normally built into burrowing like fast healing is already implemented (e.g. Roaches burrowing vs. Mutalisks needing to disengage from combat to heal). I’m more thinking being able to burrow would also enable them to Deep Tunnel, but other ideas would be welcome.

Zerg have no way for air units to “teleport”, whereas Terrran have Tac Jump, Medivac (works on air units MC-ed by Vega), and Nova’s Griffin Transport (despite how ridiculous it looks :smiley: ). Protoss have Recall, and also deploying air units to the front line.

Why not, if nothing else I’d support this for anti-parasitic bomb. Cuz yeah inappropriate word that start with f, cuz apparently this forum is all about civility parasitic bombs lol.

A flying zerg unit that can burrow?

Now don’t be ridicolous… That’s how you get Cicadas and Dehaka’s flying swarm host lord things!

Could you imagine, FLYING zerg air units? just flying everywhere, burrowing for 10 years and emerging? What if my 14 apm opponents allies accidentally burrow their coop units and then never attack the whole game! :stuck_out_tongue:

/S

But yeah, that is kinda weird now that i think about it. First thought was “WHY!”, then it was “NO!”, then it was cicadas haha. But hmm.

Most meta zerg units are like… mutalisks. Who are basically flying mouths with wings who fire a blade out of their mouth that…

Anyways. Im not going to think of the logistics of forming a blade in your throat and being a giant sentient blade launching throat air unit. But back on track… HOW would a flying mouth dig a hole to burrow? How would mutalisks burrow, would they eat the ground, or would you see a more cicada like burrowing flying beetle unit or flying roaches instead? *

• In a alternative reality where blizzard still developed buy and own games and sc2 coop. And hypothetically were like, making new sc2 coop and pvp units.

The same as all zerg: they vibrate until they penetrate the ground. Less efficient units (lurkers, crawlers…) put an additional muscular effort, but it’s just to make things faster.

Zerg have no way for air units to “teleport”, whereas Terrran have Tac Jump, Medivac (works on air units MC-ed by Vega), and Nova’s Griffin Transport (despite how ridiculous it looks :smiley: ). Protoss have Recall, and also deploying air units to the front line.

This is generally good though – the factions shouldn’t be identical. There’s a nice asymmetric design to how Terran can teleport their fleet, Zerg can deep tunnel/Nydus their ground, and Protoss can teleport any unit type but only via a ‘recall’ mechanic.

That said, sure, if a hypothetical new Zerg Co-op commander (fantastically hypothetical) would benefit from having a Zerg air unit that could burrow, that wouldn’t be unreasonable design. Probably better for a Mutalisk than a Brood Lord though!

1 Like

I always thought they just claw their way down, but Stetmann (before the T and drugs) from WoL mentioned…
I’m learning how some zerg burrow as well. It’s extremely sophisticated. They have billions of tiny muscles that vibrate at a low frequency, effectively loosening soil, crumbling rock, and snapping vegetation. They can “swim” through the ground. It’s not quite as fast as running, but it’s close.

1 Like

I can imagine the canceled Spore Host (https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/Spore_host) as an unit that would deploy in air to become immobile, increase its sight and deploy flying locust that attack air, and burrow to deploy walking (crawling?) locusts that attack ground.

F Vipers, F Battlecruisers. Two of the most annoying, unfun units in the whole game.

Speaking of, hypothetically then would proper air unit burrow timing cancel Yamato hahaha.

If they don’t have detection, I think it might? It’s a question I’ve actually had here for a few hours.

Good question. How does it work if a ground Zerg unit targeted by Yamato burrows before it gets hit?