Mengsk's Downsides

Last time I checked Brutal+ was only added because a lot of whiny players want something harder (when coop wasn’t designed as a challenge mode in the first place). And if that’s the case the game should be questioning me right now why I’m still playing hard/brutal and not playing in the “end game” don’t you think?

1 Like

I would LOVE a proper difficulty above Brutal.
Even something very generic like “Amon has/spawns 50% more units”.

Imho problem is Brutal+ gameplay is unfun annoying garbage 9/10 times because more than a third of mutators are unfun annoying garbage.
And the chances are most Brutal+ games are gonna contain at least 1 of such awful Mutators which just make the entire game hideously unenjoyable.

I was super excited when i heard Blizz was adding an above Brutal difficulty that you can queue for.
But then i saw its the random mutator garbage instead of a PROPER difficulty (like going Hard to Brutal)…

5 Likes

I was expecting Amon to send Brutalisks, Gorgon BC’s, and Motherships against me when they announced Brutal+ and when I found out it’s just Brutal with mutators I’m like “yeah I’m not touching that. Weekly mutation is enough.”

3 Likes

The irony is that one of the mutators that inexperienced players commonly die to is Aggressive Deployment which just adds the extra units that Brutal players want.

I’ve had this argument before and I even tried a 20 game sample with a commander that a forum member claimed was weak against mutators. Out of the 20 games I lost 2 due to bad team-mates and had, IIRC, 2 annoying maps (Fatal + Mineral Shield was the worst).

Overall i find my ally to be a much bigger potential cause of losses because Brutal+ sometimes actually requires teamwork.

1 Like

It’s not too bad. Yeah some of the mutators and mutator combos need to die in a fire (Diffusion + Life Leech is an autoquit for me, and I can only stomach 1 Missile Command per night) but I’d say 7/10 to 8/10 I get an interesting combo that isn’t OP.

I feel like it’s closer to 95% being “playable”. Even Life Leech+Diffusion is beatable with the right commanders on the right map (I’ve beaten it before with Nova for example).

Then there is some overlap of maps that are barely playable but in some way make you want to gorge your eyeballs out with rusty forks - usually some combination of “Fatal Attraction” with a commander that doesn’t have suicide units.

Honestly I get more losses due to terrible allies than what I do to terrible maps but even then I think the quality of ally is generally much higher in B+1 than what you get in Brutal.

Like, why did my Stukov ally go an entire map without researching plague munitions or range and build diamondbacks instead of Infested Siege tanks vs Double Edge? I even checked the replay! Made no sense at all. I have it clearly burned into my brain the one time I forgot to research plague munitions and couldn’t understand why my troopers were so terrible. Never again!

He’s very fragile in the early game, and if he loses his Royal Guard units they are very hard to replace.

His detection capabilities are very slow and clumsy and the AI loves to snipe them.

He has pretty bad anti ground capabilities vs beefy armored units compared to his anti air especially. This makes him really weak and dealing with enemy heroes and Hybrid until he’s able to get his army going to critical mass.

Uhhh… Bad anti-ground capabilities? Then what are his Aegis Guards and Shock Divisions? Swiss Cheese?

The major issue he has vs ground is against Banes, Disruptors, and Reavers. Everything else you shred to bits.

And even against those, you can plop down bunkers or call in zerg to tank them, then replenish your mandate before the next wave.

(Or P3, you don’t mind if your troops get shredded because you shred the enemy right back for cheap)

Exactly. You have plenty of options.

One underrated thing about Mengsk. He has 2 of the best dialogue lines for cloaked units. A fact that many posters on here sadly seem to fail to appreciate.

“Subversives, cloaked and lurking among us.”

“Our enemies are invisible. Give them something to hide from.”

3 Likes