Make Mutations and Bounties Worth Something

Mutations have been out for something like 166 weeks now. Each week’s mutation for the most part is tied in with up to 4 bounties stars. These are also displayed on your profile in-game. It’s a nice number to look at but nothing else aside from that.

So for over 3 years (166 weeks), this system along side custom mutation have been just sitting there, like a half abandoned project - limping along. Mutation itself, I can only assume was designed to be a puzzle-challenge, have become just an annoying time sink, especially as of late. Often the time sink turns many away.

So what? Don’t like it, then don’t play! Yeah, I’m going to superficially agree with that. And honestly, many are exactly doing that (as seen on CtG’s weekly solid topic :+1:). So why have it if people don’t enjoy it? And since it has problem, why not make some changes for the better? There is a definite difference between challenging and annoying - that is one pushes players to continue to overcome the difficulty while the latter simply deters them away from trying again.

So this topic is focused on what we can do to make weekly mutation, custom mutation, and the collected bounties better and/or useful. What does everyone think? Love to see some cool idea.

1 Like

I’d like to hear what people have to say about this, I honestly don’t feel like bounties should give anything in particular just like ascension but I am always open to ideas and specially more silly cosmetic rewards are always good.

I also think it’s worth discussing the overall balance of mutations lately. While I didn’t understand people complaining too much about last week’s mutation I can absolutely understand the problem with this week’s mutation. Polarity is just not good and then double train over it is asking a bit too much.

I wouldn’t mind if completing bounties and mutations could earn cosmetics and stuff like that. Nothing with a tangible gameplay effect, but just something fun to have as bragging rights. That said, I’d consider this a low priority.

1 Like

Bounties give extra experience.
Experience gives Ascension levels.
Ascension levels give pretty pictures

Perhaps every bounty earned with a particular commander can give a “Prestige” level number displayed along your main level. With a unique portrait for each commander you reach 100 bounty with.

A “3 random mutations on random map” would work well if there were mutator vetoes. nice for matchmaking and variety.

Yeah, I wouldn’t mind achievements at all. That’s cool to have a journey thing we try to reach. As long as it’s tied in with something and not just a number sitting there looking pretty. And it is pretty but looks isn’t everything :laughing:

2 Likes

It would be nice if the game had some sort of weekly you could get a chunk of EXP for. Nothing too crazy that would handicap you and make your ally work harder than they should. Something like:

Tour of Duty: Complete every mission and all objectives on Brutal difficulty with the same CO. The CO would change each week

1 Like

I can agree with that, as it stands we have this awkward situation where folks under 90 mastery are the ones that benefit the most from brutation. But the ones lately have pretty much needed 90 mastery anyway.

And ttry to keep in mind that a large number of players don’t a flying **** about portraits, achievements, etc etc blah blah completely useless stuff. If you’re gonna try to solve the problem, try to solve it for everyone. Hard currency please.

we need to make bounties great again, so Im proposing a yuge 220% increase to bounties value and you will be able to earn the bounty on a mutation once per day.

I think the reason it hasn’t changed is cause it would also introduce many negative side effects.

But… Custom Mutation should give something, like a little extra XP per Mutator. This would encourage teaming up and trying stuff other than standard missions. Problem is that people would likely pick the easiest extra mutator, but maybe they’d also get bored and vary it or seek a challenge.

Edit: Bounty points are somewhat meaningless. But not sure if it would be better if it showed Brutations completed instead. Might create a WoW kinda situation like “post achievement xyz to enter” and people being pre-judgemental.

Agree, why not make it:
-Extra XP
-Bragging rights, have an EPIC portrait or something when you get to a certain level
-Portrait or maybe even a Mutation SKIN that can be applied
They are super hard and take a long time just to be able to play them, there should deff be a reward, extra XP would be easy enough.

1 Like