Looking back and playing WoL

Continuation of Great Train Robbery. Finally got to playing it.

I was like “let’s try one run”. I did Brutal with all the achievements and objectives. Siege Tanks are completely unnecessary here. Bio Ball supported Diamondbacks is just perfect for this.

SCVs being cute and repairind Diamonbacks in the in-game victory cutscene.

I must say, that while I get people having beef with timer missions, this is incredibly fun one. Because it’s assault mission not a siege one. You gotta be on the move.

One thing that probably helped was me taking all the fights when I wanted. Really played this one cleanly. Maybe could have baited some of the seeeker missiles better.

Seeing Adjutant’s body is still creepy.

Tosh approves of the mission. Tychus approves of the mission.

Donny doesn’t. One of the most ridiculous news. People probably know that Zerg and Protoss happened during SoK rebellion as well…

Hanson should really play through SC 1 Rebel Yell.

By the way… here Raynor says.

“Our revolution began that day - the day Mengsk murdered a whole planet and called it justice.”

Swann aproves of this mission. Because Diamonbacks!

With Horner we have foreshadowing of Mira and Orlan. Never would have picked Matt for someone good at cards.

Next time, I am going to Xil to get access to the Ihan crystal so I can get those sweet research points.

So I am getting concussive shells and one of the Missile Turret upgrades. I guess I take the AoE one. Should have greater impact then HP. It’s also more expensive.

2 Likes

Still didn’t get them in co-op though, which is a grudging.

1 Like

Is there anyone who disapproves of that mission?

I mean Matt is the one who brought up the lead in the first place and happy that they gained something from it and Stetmann is probably estatic about the defiler corpses. Leaves Hanson who rely doesn’t strike me as one to care about a few more dead dominion marines.

No, not really. It’s just most crew members actively approve it.

How do you deal with the Marauder patrol? I waited out until I have Siege Tank before I do this mission on my Brutal run.

Stimmed Marines with Medics hard counter them. Not to mention that by the time you fight the first group, you should have at least 8 War Pigs.

Throw in couple of Marauders including Hammer Securities and it’s like shooting fish in a barrel.

And once they draw fire, you can swipe in with Diamondbacks because they have bonus damage against armored targets.

And one obvious tip - fight them separately.

2 Likes

Maybe, I’ll try it out one day. Thanks!

Artifact #2 The Dig

I’MMA FIRIN’ MAH’ LAZOR.

Arguably my favorite holdout mission. I’ve usually been doing well in this one, so I am kinda expecting myself to have some showing. Low casualties and such.

Let’s start with the mandatory initial dungeon crawler, that’s here to explain Siege Tanks to people who never even got near the franchise.

How on Earth are Tal’Darim so dumb they leave that giant laser drill untouched. Actually kinda fascinating.

Didn’t fu^k up the initial micro fight. Good start.

Obligatory “Swann explaining the new unit just when it’s perfect time to use it”.

4th mention of Siege Tanks. Tychus loving humongous piece of fine Terran engineering. Nyon doing the Scooby Doo villain again. Adjutant being the best again, giving us control of Moebius team in a second, like it’s no one’s business.

Brutal playthrough done. Some losses happened but mostly at the top side which doesn not have that good of a chokepoint. Also I kinda left the game to play itself in the last 2000 hp. Not gonna replay the hard achievement, because that one is seriously a lot easier once you get Vikings and I am not going to adjust whole playthrough just for that. Also this is the first time I used Planetary Fortress in this playthrough. And with great success. Holding the bottom chokepoint, protecting the expansion. Easy job for Ms. Planetary and a bunch of huddling SCVs.

Time to hear something about TIDINGS OF DOOM.

Jimmy drinking again. Zeratul being cryptic and spooky, while at least being reasonable enough to take the Ihan crystal.

He doesn’t even have time to check with Terran’s greatest invention - healing beam or even sit with Jimmy for a drink.

Hanson spitting some techno mumbo jumbo. Finally getting that first Protoss tech upgrade. Obviously going for attack because of last mission.

And Hanson drooling over Jimmy, whilst he spouts exposition about Ihan Crystals.

Tychus with Moebius Factor foreshadowing. Tosh trolling Jimmy with his sense of smell.

Obviously getting Siege Breakers immediately.

Donny actually making a valid point for once. Zerg can watch News, because they infest Terrans. In other news, Tyrador tsunami caused by waste dumping, general Martin sent to retirement and Kyla Velassia about to stand trial.

Matt implying Jimmy’s alcoholism because of Zera.

Jimmy having the right idea about Siege Tanks. No one cares about Tank mode.

Beef between Infanry and Siege Tank operators mentioned in Siege Tank profile. Which shall be solved once we get Shaped Blast.

I suppose next Terran mission is going to be Bel’Shir because I want that money from final Covert mission as soon as possible. Since I can’t upgrade Siege Tanks, I don’t need Firebats because I don’t go against Zerg and it’s not time for repair upgrade… I am getting the second Missile Turret upgrade.

Prophecy #1 Whispers of Doom

Cinematic Cutscene

Most dangerous hobo in the Koprulu using his blade as a flashlight.
Just a piece of advice. Staying cloaked all the time saves you a lot of trouble y’know.

Notable things to mention.
Original QoB saying “our petty conflicts mean nothing now”. Cue Kerrigan in HotS and in Prologue.
I am not exactly sure if Zeratul has his second thumb properly animated when he does that iconic Hydralisk kill with the Hydra claw. It looks like he just has 1+3, but I am not sure.
Kerrigan actually looking spooked when she sees how close he cut.

Mission itself.

It is a pet peeve, but it kind of bothers me how Zeratul who had extremely low hp and high shields in SC1 has suddenly 300 hp and only 100 shields. Doesn’t even make sense lorewise. My guess is, they did just for achievement play. Yeah, going to be fun to play Brutal without losing HP.

My favorite part is deinfesting Ulaan like a Mad-Toss. Everything visible of Zerg origin must die in the first 3 parts.

Music is great. Kinda sad though.

I just void prisoned a zergling just to have one more kill.

Zeratul stop using the word chasm or I suicide you into something.

Zeratul knowing all too well, Kerrigan is kinda trolling him.

Sightings of Scourges AKA the second most degenerate strain Zerg ever evolved into. First one? Banelings, you fu^king know it.

Zeratul teaching me the word reprieve.

Say what you want, but Stalkers are badass. Time to regen some shields. Good thing is I haven’t lost any actual HP to Mutas.

Hydralisks being at the most illogical place ever. ARRRGH, lost 5 Stalker HP to Mutas.

Another detection checkpoint broken through. Brood Lord patrol… ugh.

Spine Crawler out of the way… first BL down, this should be good. Time for the aerial assault segment. No body HP lost, so far so good.

Time to get down the first Hatch. Obviously losing some Stalker HP to the Brood A-hole, but since the next shrine is close, it shouldn’t matter.

Hatch cleared. KILL THE LARVAE. Time to recharge.

Kerrigan: Your hope is an illusion, (old fool)

Come on, that’s DT line.

Another set of fliers, burrowed Ultra and detection. Took some time, but all HP intact. Time to brace for Baneling run.

Piece of advise. Don’t use Zeratul and kill of Creep Tumors. Helps a lot.

Zeratul using the word subvert. Again.

Time to clear the second Hatch. Burrowed Ultras and double detection puzzle, no Fliers though. Gotta admit. I didn’t find these in the first run. Kerrigan’s placement is all over the place.

Damn, lost 8 Stalker HP in a burrow ambush.

Caught the running Spore Crawler, so taking out those Spines is fairly easy.
I am almost with Karass.

Now let’s meet with probably the most badass one-off named character in the SC2 saga. Karass. (Arguments about Talis are heard, but she appears canonically in three missions)

Whew, almost lost actual HP on Zeratul. He had 5 shields. Didn’t even notice. Stalkers are full. I just wanted to help Karass…

Third Hatch. Zeratul finally uses different prefix for -vert. He wishes to stop Kerrigan from perverting this world.

Lost 24 Stalker HP while baiting Roaches away from the Spine. Eh, we are going to recharge right off.

Time for the frenetical part and Karass’ last stand.
I just met you and I miss you already.

Standard “I will hold the line. This is bigger than both of us” speech.

Ok, let’s preserve Zera HP and at least 3 Stalkers.

Kept all of them alive and Zeratul is intact. Nice.

Zhakul preservers foreshadowing.

Back to the Lab again.

Stettman being actually useful unlike “shrink” Hanson, swarming me with new tech instead of stupid questions. Getting Vespene Filtering, because I am too proud to pick Automated Supply Depots. Obviously picking Hercules Dropships over Predators to make Gates of Hell and Moebius Factor easier.

Tosh is actually trying to be helpful and Raynor just has to act like jackass.
Tychus is a casual racist moment.

Valerian introduction. Including HotS finale foreshadowing. “When the time comes of course”. I wonder if Valerian ever hooked up with Kate. Kyla Velassi nominated for Koprulu Oscars. RR quiet. Zerg inflicting heavy casualties.

Horner being lowkey surprised Raynor spent all that time in the Lab, not in the Cantine.

Swann living the life. Drinking, sleeping, drinking, working.

I will continue with A Sinister Turn of Maar’s maniacal laughter on Zhakul. Probably Wednesday.

Zeratul: That rock over there looks interesting. I must walk two feet to my left, do a back-flip somersault, and then say “I LOVE YOU ROCK.” Only then will the rock let me touch it.

One of many plot point that going nowhere after WoL. Another reason why Kerrigan is an evil as well!

I would argue that Maar is a contender for that spot as well.

But still F for Karass

I’m Team Karass, he was awesome.

Prophecy #2 A Sinister Turn

I will give props to Maar for being one of two Hybrids that delivered on their promise.

Maar’s tenacity is bonkers and Hybrid in Piercing the Shroud on Castanar makes you sh^t your pants.

Mission itself.

Intact buildings, yupee.

If there is one thing I never liked about playing Toss, it’s putting every freaking thing in a power field.

Oh all those conveniently placed abandoned structures.

BIG NEWS

Ramps work.

Also, Maar shows up. This time he might actually reach my base for a change.

He does. Time for some mix of Stalkers and Immortals.

Cleaning the side bases. Not in the mood to do the 25 minute Hard achievement right now.

You actually don’t need any other units besides Stalkers and Immortals. You really don’t. Having few Archons surely doesn’t hurt and it’s nice to have a HT to feedback Maar, but you really don’t need them.

Also Maar’s inability to focus units makes him more of an annoyance and a temporary setback than an actual threat.

And AI is really fond of Artosis pylons.

After mission.

Prophecy BS.

Funny how Raynor ends up straight in the Cantine. Not in the Lab.

Tychus not having an actual line, but he drinks to Horner not liking him.

Raynor finally coming to Tosh in a respectable manner. Tosh giving some true, but utterly creepy and pointless words of wisdom.

End War foreshadowing everywhere. Once you see those buggers everywhere, they are much less scary.

Hanson blabbering about Jim losing himself in that crystal. Darling, he’s losing himself in alcohol.

Taking Cellular Reactor, because I am not an idiot.

Swann actually giving some useful advice. Like… lay off that sauce and get some shut eye cowboy.

Tyrador shows up among available missions.

Prophecy #3 Echoes of the Future

Just playing the mission to get to the Protoss base.

Although, right off the bat. What the hell are Roaches and Banelings doing there.

These are Ferals, formerly Overmind Swarm Zerg, inclusion of modern strains makes no sense.

Also, how does Overmind having different set of memories at a different tendril work? They are all the same distance from the “cortex”.

Then there is the thing of a functioning Nexus and a pair of Colossi around Overmind after that fateful battle.

TBC

Per the wiki, Aiur was at one point under Kerrigan’s control, and she did have forces there in the Dark Templar Saga. And you can’t chalk their appearance to gameplay, there is a Baneling in the LotV cinematic :confused:

I can’t remember what this does and what is the alternative; mind refreshing me a bit?

Cellular Reactor is, IIRC, the energy upgrade. +100 starting and max energy for all spellcasters. Super good upgrade.

Energy bonus and starting energy bonus. Great for Banshees, Battlecruisers, Ghosts, Spectres, Science Vessels.