Looking back and playing WoL

Yeah, I’m a bit of a gun nut.

Destroyed 4 Hatcheries, but lost four buildings. Time to “get” the normal achievement.

1 Like

Fun fact, if you destroy a hatch, let the drone start rebuilding it, and then destroy the hatch again as it’s building, it counts as killing two hatches.

Yeah I know, learnt that one from the guide I used from the achievement.

Also I just did the mission on Normal without lost structure. So soothing. So effortless.

Colonist #1 The Evacuation

Turtleneck number two, albeit much cuter than Horner.

Gotta give credit to Hanson for keeping composure when a “terrorist” comes to help.

Time to roast some Zerg.

Hanson should get some friggin’ SCVs to be honest.

Ariel, you don’t have to say cOlOnY all the time.

Finally finished it. Absolutely clean play. No colonists or structures lost with only 10 units lost. Kinda proud of this one.

Head cannon that this thread made me think of: the money Mengsk claims he blew chasing Jimmy he actually sunk into the Hybrid program.

8 Likes

Double Headcanon: the money he claims Raynor has been stealing has also been going into the Hybrid program.

5 Likes

Post-victory cutscene.

Sassy Hanson. Another nickname of Raynor (Commander coming after Jimmy, Sir and Cowboy).
Graven Hill exuding so much calm badassery it just warms my heart.

Cantine

Cheeky Tychus taking the badge. Joeyray adding the Hydra bones. So wholesome.

Friendly reminder that friendly faces of Cooper and Anabelle hide gruesome future. Former is a traitor, latter is about to die in the WoL-HotS interbellum.

Poor Tychus never got his physical.

News - Meinhoff foreshadowing. First sight of Warfield. And the Blood Elf hologram. And the Arcade. No not gonna play it.

Unlike many of you I got the Lost Viking achievements. Mwehe.

Bridge

First sight of that Bel’Shir dummy.

Dr. Hanson falling for our grizzled looks, bad boy rep’, ideals of freedom and dark hair implants.

Getting War Pigs and D-Dogs. Thank goodness. I just love mercs.

FIREBATS for the win.

Mission lobby.

I usually go for Monlyth, but I will go for Redstone to get Tosh early and it’s much better to have money for Medic upgrade in Smash and Grab then having Marauders in The Devil’s Playground.

Also, goddammit Doc, I need a break in between saving those babies of yours.

Covert #1 The Devil’s Playground

Marsar- I mean Tosh is trying to get to us through ego and money. It works.
Annoyed Jimmy is best Jimmy. We need more Zerg and more lava.

Time to get that incredibly impractical and incredibly badass unit.

I am just gonna clear the whole freaking map, screw you Horner.

First sight of the Brutalisk, that is about to be… cooked.

Lot of goofing around with Reapers. I am having fun. Normally I stray away from losing units like this.

Cleared the whole map. Both achievements would be done.

Now for the post game cutscene and talks.

Tosh showing off his butt like he’s into us.

News

More ridiculous stuff with the Ghost “interview”. Umoja mobilizes, wow. KMC packing their stuff, yeah we noticed. Kyla Velassi going into rehab? Finally some news material. Also market slumps after Kelasi defeat, we shall invest accordingly. Into weapons.

Tosh is on Horner’s bRiDgE. And he’s suggessting he might be helpful. But besides Bel’Shir being the next job, he’s as cryptic as ever.

Rory again knows what’s up. Pirates are trouble.

Taking Medic heal.

Lab

Acting like Stetmann is Young Sheldon.

This is actually huge… Keystone is relatively new. Totally forgot that. Our Swiss knife/iPhone had to have been made at the time Protoss and Zerg were ?seeded/uplifted?.

Ariel being useful with Jorium knowledge.

Stetmann toying with stuff. Picking Bunker HP. Skrike Turret is a pea shooter. Guess it’s time to finally do Monlyth.

1 Like

Seeing this reminds me of something I’ve never brought up before about WoL, but I’ve always felt like it never sat well with me. I’ve never liked that they shoehorned Arcturus Mengsk into somehow being connected to the development of the Hybrids. They couldn’t just leave them as two separate plots. They had to somehow connect it to Arcturus just to make it even more clear that he’s the super evil bad guy that not only rules over the Terrans, but is now into creating Hybrids as well. Whoever decided this can just screw off.

1 Like

Artifact #1 Smash and Grab

This might be a tough one. I have never done Brutal with the time limit achievement and all secondary objectives. Not to mention the Stone Zealots. Might split it.

Another big coincidence. Zerg and Protoss start fighting just as we arrrive.
When in trouble, call Swann cowboy. Time to Maraud them aliens.

No units lost to Stone Zealots. Pretty solid effort, but I am not going to rush that 15 minute timer on Brutal. Just isn’t worth the effort. Although with full might of bio on my side… Nah screw it’s late. I’ll just make a Hard rush.

First time Tricia Helfer as Kerrigan. Jimmy craps his pants.

Following victory cutscene is incredibly underrated.

Tense music going greatly with the footage, Tychus’ disbelief that Jimmy used to bang what is now QoB, Tychus using cigar to prove his point yet again.

Only if Horner didn’t sound like an 8 year old who is tattling to the teacher.

Cantina

Tychus showing he’s also humanitarian, not just patron of sciences.

“Puttin’ that bi^ch down would be doin’ everyone a favor”

Tosh spitting some folksy truth yet again. It’s her or us.

News… Repetition of the theme. Kill Kerrigan or die. Kyla Velassi detained for controlled substances. Order lol. News do imply some canonical order… as that fella who posted his bid several weeks ago.

Time to get H-Sec.

Raynor explaining SC1 story to Hanson. Milo Kachinsky sneakily listening to Horner and Raynor.

Armory

For some reason, people who love explosive grenades are less psychotic than people who love to set things ablaze the usual way.

Getting Bunker space and Firebat AoE. Next mission is Meinhoff. Marauder upgrades sure are important but they got to wait.

Made a quick ugly but succesful Hard play below 15 minutes.

This is all for today.

Karax contradicts that idea in LotV, he states the keystones material self regenerates fooling the terran scientists into thinking it is from a recent epoch.
His projection is the keystone being several billion years old.

1 Like

Good point, forgot that.

Colonists #2 Outbreak

Time for a zombie movie.

Pre-mission cutscene

Hanson showing her genius because “sUn bAD fOr tHe iNfEsTeD”. Also no problem burning the infested now… Odd.

Mission itself.

“Dirt farmers”. Always makes me grin.

Time for the standard early holdout combo of Firebats and Medic 1-1 and Bunkers chock full of Marines.

This mission has always been a relaxing one for me. I play it cleanly on the first run. Finished it just before 5th night. Didn’t go for the Night building destruction run. Increases casualties too damn much.

Ariel, her people and untouched paradise. DUUUUUH. Zerg have far greater reach than humans, girl.

Cantine

Post-win cutscene.

Donny and Kate being their usual selves… KMC denying responsibility… Dominion fleet in Sara system… Hey Dominion actually fighting Zerg in fringe worlds!

“Those colonist sure do have some Zerg troubles.”

Tosh telling us Hanson ain’t that sweet after all.

Stettman figuring out Zerg burrow. Picking Planetary Fortress for All In. Perdition Turrets are too damn fragile. Besides Firebats can do the same thing better.

Horner being the strawman reasonable person, suggesting there might be a reason to be worried about colonists being infested.

Our sweetheart obviously snaps at him, cUz tHeY pErFeCtLy hEaLtHy.

Protoss foreshadowing. Hanson figuring out cure in mere weeks when no one before managed that (including Protoss) foreshadowed as well…

Swann character depth moment. Going for Tarsonis, so I am gonna need that Marauder HP.

Rebel #1 Great Train Robbery

Ha, movie reference! Ha, Matt being fun for once! Diamondbacks being useful for once! Time for another great coincidence! Actually there is mention of some informants, so it is valid that RR got lucky in getting the Adjutant.

Horner when Raynor says that Tychus is going to love it - This kind of approval fills me with shame.

TBC

My heart bleeds for them Diamondbacks.

Feels like this was another plot threat that went nowhere, probably sacrificed on the diffused mission structure.

Wings of Liberty in a nutshell.