Looking back and playing WoL

Pretty sure its just a case of that gun being overpowered as hell, I remember something along the line of blast threw armored doors.
I mean gauss rifles are nothing to sneeze at either, being pretty much a 50 cal MG on crack.

I think you should double check your sources. I don’t recall that being Duke’s gun, and I definitely don’t remember any terran pistols that can penetrate blast doors.

1 Like

Liberty Crusade

“Now free of his opponent’s neosteel embrace, Duke went for his side arm, a nasty needle-gun that could penetrate bulkheads. Raynor recovered as the general brought the weapon up and grabbed the older man by the wrist. Then, the servos in both sets of armor squealing, Raynor slammed Duke’s arm against the bulkhead.”

Might not be taken literaly but since it does this when fired:
“There was a high-pitched whine, and Duke’s left shoulder exploded in a shower of molten metal. Duke’s marines all jumped and brought their weapons around, but did not fire. They had been ordered to wait for the command.”

It is capable of stopping a marine in armor dead. And even if raynor doesn’t have dukes gun, the standard P-45 is capable of blasting head sized holes into stone walls and killing a zerglin behind it with a single shot. At close range they’ll likely go threw the visor. And seeing that the P-45 is used by reapers its likely usable without power armor, something you can’t say about the standard gauss rifle.

Actually, you can. The current version doesn’t have the hardware to properly brace it with normal sized hands, but the recoil and size don’t, like, explode unarmored wielders or anything. The BW version explicitly had a second grip for unarmored wielders.

Anyway, all gauss weapons fire armor piercing rounds by default specifically because of how common power armor is. That doesn’t mean that Raynor’s justice bullet was armor piercing. Indeed, since it was a revolver and Mengsk would not be armored, it seems likely to me that it would not have been. Raynor just shot Tychus in the face.

Aye, but I would argue that it would have gone threw the visor even if it was down, making it somewhat usable against marines in CMCs.

Maybe. Im not aware of there being much data on the durability of marine visors. I’d imagine theyre at least bullet resistant, given the importance of maintaining a seal in hostile environments like space.

Resistant maybe but I think the gauss pistol wouldn’t see such wide use were it incapable of at least posing a threat to persons in CMC suits.

Its not the pistol, its the ammo. Armor penetrating rounds are a thing even today, and gauss would certainly only make them worse, but theyre a mixed blessing because theyre somewhat less dangerous to the main target, and significantly more dangerous to anything behind them, because as the name suggests, they have a tendency to keep going even after they hit something.

I can back that claim up, armor piercing rounds are a nasty bit of work. Look at 5.56 NATO or 7.62*39, they go through a whole lot. I think Marines can choose between many different ammo types including them depleted Uranium ones.

Cutscene

Admiral Turtleneck on deck to save the day! Gotta say they gave him a good introduction.

Raynor has a point about Tychus. Everyone in Raiders is a criminal for crying out loud.

I get where they were going with all those news reports having crappy quality, but come on. Stuff from Syria in 2019 has better quality than this.

Tychus scratching his balls. That’s Disney’s fault.

Horner and hIS bRiDgE.

Time to click on some things.

Tychus and Horner

Good old Angel and Devil sitting on the shoulder.

On the other hand, come on Matt, Tychus has no idea what Zerg are like. He was in prison the whole time.

Rory Swann

Welcome to NY Dwarven Armory in Space. Swann is a Dwarf, whether Kelthar claims otherwise or not.

“We gotta beg, borrow or steal.” You are the man of the people Rory…

Armory upgrades

Bunker range and Marine HP. I prefer survivability.

1 Like

That’s Captain Admiral Turtleneck to you.

I make no claims regarding Swann. Its just Karax, who stands at about eye level with Artanis.

1 Like

Stop with the hate towards the little people!

There is nothing wrong with it. It’s just Blizzard’s inability to make engineer character without dwarven traits.

We’ll get there eventually.

Agria vs Monlyth

Picking Agria. At the time of the message, there is no sign of Monlyth being urgent.

Also Tychus says that Moebius thinks there is an artifact.

True, but I don’t think it matters (feel free to prove me wrong since ammo is something I haven’t had any interests with). If the bullet goes threw the head the guy would be in no condition to be a threat.

As a rule of thumb, soldiers are trained to aim center mass. Screwing around with trick shots is for FPS games. You can actually see when Raynor and Tychus are storming the Bucephalus, they mostly aim for, and hit, the torsos of the enemy marines.

True but their the gauss rifles over penetrate. So we can’t rely gauge how resilient those suits are, so we don’t rely make any progress if the pistol would be enough to off a marine.

That’s actually not necessarily true, although likely true.

The problem with headshots is they can look very lethal but even if you scratch the skin with it it’s like hell by the looks of it. Another thing is of course the bullet type. Against soft tissue like bodies you want expanding bullets. These decrease overall penetration but cause a lot more damage to the tissue. When it comes to soldiers they need to be prepared to fight soldiers, so they will have some spearpoint high-velocity bullets that are good for penetration of hard barriers (like walls and hard armor). A middle ground would be a wadcutter because they leave nice wound channels without needing high velocity to work.

This is a 29,5cm*21cm paper and I used a standard Winchester rifle, .357 Magnum bullets, 50 meters. The two little holes above the left 8 is two birdshot pellets that hit this paper from 30 meters so ignore them. Just thought I’d brag, remove the space between https and the rest.

https ://media.discordapp.net/attachments/608697095993425950/646049078232350748/JPEG_20191118_190756.jpg?width=478&height=636

1 Like

Liberty’s Crusade actually specifically calls out the CMC suits as being immune to most small arms fire, and even non-AP rounds from gauss rifles. Between the zerg and the CMC suits being so common, AP rounds are just standard issue now in the Dominion marine corps.

Fair Point, then that is cleared up.

Also BartFitz that is some nice information to have