Let Tychus pick the first Outlaw

80% Tychus is the strongest first pick, with DPS and AoE burst. However, sometimes it is more optimal if he could pick something else, like vs stealth, better to have Nux, Sirius, and Vega and let them Lone Wolfing. Also, we can use fun strategy like Vega Nikara right away. Please help upvote and make this happen!

I think you missed all the posts about there being no more dev. In any case it would make no sense for the Tychus commander not to require Tychus to be on the field.

6 Likes

What you want is entirely possible with build order. Since Tychus is actually a free spawn, the difference you’re proposing is just a cost of 500/100 paid VS free.

I’m guessing it’s a design trap mitigation because if someone accidentally chooses Nikara first, they may be in a bind with no reliable way to do damage! (though I suppose they could put in a clause that Nikara can’t be first).

This could’ve been an idea for a prestige. Closest we have is Lone Wolf, which incentivizes you to keep your outlaws apart.

2 Likes

I like this idea - coz then I can do Sirius + Blaze or Sirius + Nux first. Or even Sirius + Rattlesnake. Heck, on OE, Sirius Sam (see what I did there?).

But there would be some design challenges. Say you could have any outlaw first, and for free - and if you don’t select them before 3:00, it defaults to Tychus. Also, that 0th outlaw doesn’t need their tech structure as a requirement. But the 1st outlaw (2nd) does. So the costs remain the same and the initial spawn mechanics too.

Things that would need to change:

• If Tychus is non-first, either he’s non-free or not selected at all.
    • so if he’s the 2nd outlaw (50% discount), or the 3rd onwards (no discount).
  • Odin doesn’t auto-respawn Tychus when it times out (except P3 where there’s no Tychus respawn associated with the Odin’s timeout)
    • should the Odin timeout respawn the 0th outlaw if dead?
  • Should the first mastery set (Tychus Attack speed & Grenade cooldown) apply to the first outlaw as attack speed + ability cooldown?

(Yes, I know these changes will never occur due to no-coop-dev work happening. It’s all conjecture / random ideas.)

1 Like

Game doesn’t prevent stupidity wrt any other CO’s, so why start here? Anyone could make detectors as their first army unit (which is kinda true for Stukov P3). Detector-units don’t attack*, game doesn’t stop anyone from going observer first, havoc first, overseer first, medic first, etc… But sure, could add a safety to prevent Nikara being selected as the 0th/free outlaw.

(* except Nova’s Ravens, and Amon’s Ravens.)

good points about the Odin and mastery man ^ that makes things more interesting

Tychus is different. Nikara occupies an outlaw slot that can’t be reallocated. I forgot the cd to when you can recruit the next Outlaw, but that sticks you with IIRC 3 minutes before your next one?

If someone rushes a detector unit, they’ll likely already have some other production buildings created to get to that level of tech. They’re only out a fraction of the resources, and they’re not gated by cd (cool downs), so they can still switch gears much easier in those cases (no pun intended I suppose).