Kerrigan Thread #9023

I am just gonna say you’re all wrong and TBO is right.

As per usual.

1 Like

What if I agree with TBO? ;p

Well… can you do so in a calm, nom-confrontational manner?

Nope. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Then thou are wrong, for even the finest wine grows sour in an ill-suited container.

1 Like

:frowning:

I feel like I’m playing Witcher 3 right now.

I take that as a compliment.

No one, in their right mind, would freak out at her, or insult her to her face because doing so would pretty much guarantee they’d a) get hurt at best, b) killed at worst. Valerian and Horner are absolutely treading carefully around her in “Heart of the Swarm” because of how unstable she is, because there’s nothing else they can do about it.

I could never agree with Gradius on this. The rich and powerful get away with murder makes perfect sense to me. The Chinese government get away with so many violation of human rights and underhanded Deal all the time. And I have yet to anyone try to make them suffer for it.

1 Like

If you want to play that card so badly Gradius, you should probably consider that Raynor had absolutely no qualms about allying with and befriending Tassadar, who was easily in the top 3 biggest killer of innocents at the time of any named character, and is still frankly a strong contender after HotS and LoV.

This, meanwhile, requires such a disingenuous reading of his statements that im frankly offended that youre trying to pull this crap with us. Raynor brings up Kerrigan at least 3 times between the mission briefing and the start-of-mission monologue, and brings up the zerg invasion precisely 0 times, both when explaining himself to the Commander and when attacking Mengsk.

1 Like

But you’ve seen people complain yes? Nobody does that concerning Kerrigan.

Not remotely the same thing. Tassadar didn’t go around killing people willy nilly. He purified planets infested by zerg. I’d way rather die by a protoss purification beam than get infested, which is one of the worst fates imaginable. He saved them both from a cruel fate and prevented more deaths by preventing the spread of zerg.

I’ve literally said the same thing here:

I never said Kerrigan isn’t important to him and I’ve never even said she’s not the primary reason. Raynor does NOT say that Kerrigan is the only reason he left. It just straight up doesn’t say that. Period.

I don’t know what kind of failure in reading comprehension it takes to jump to that conclusion but I’ve literally provided quotes of him clarifying that it was the mass murder, in Wings of Liberty.

See above. Thanks for the laugh.

Yeah, im done. The dishonesty required to claim that its OK for Raynor to befriend Tassadar after his murdering of planets, but not of Kerrigan, is too much for me. You aren’t even pretending to address this fairly or honestly, and I have no interest in trying to compel you to.

3 Likes

You don’t see the difference in killing planets for petty revenge for a war you started vs destroying planets that are already infested to contain a threat because those are your military orders? Really?

Also, Tassadar ultimately rebelled in order to save human lives. Maybe Raynor was freaking pissed but cut him some slack.

Citizens in general, yes. But higher up? People in charge? Someone with a real authority to do something? Well, we both know how that went…

That’s it, I’m getting SC1.

4 Likes

‘Bout damn Time (or Spirit)

2 Likes

There is a pretty big difference in ny opinion between purging a planet that has a speedily diminishing population thanks to the cause of said purge and just decimating a planet because it’s in the way of petty revenge. I think Tassadar and Kerrigan are also quite different, and not just in motivation. As far as I see it, the purifications are also shown in a different light than whatever Kerrigan did.

Yeah, I guess I need to, to get the very full picture.

In a sense Tassadar is a lot like Raynor. They both destroyed a planet but were wracked by guilt over it and tried to make things right, turning themselves into outlaws in the process. Maybe Jimmity recognized a kindred spirit.

Also worth noting he was fine giving Kerrigan a second chance too, until she stuck a knife in his back and twisted it around.

1 Like

If we’re going to ignore context, the better counterargument would be how Raynor worked with Kerrigan herself too back in BW after she killed a bunch of people.

But like she said, “They’re simply siding with the evil they know over the evil they don’t”.

Raynor believes in second chances but Kerrigan is like on her 5th chance.

I don’t remember how to quote in this new forum design, so I’ll simply bullet point again:

• I presented factual evidence from in-game. As usual, since it contradicts what you wish to believe, you go to extremes to try and present it in a different light than clearly intended.

• The game disagrees with you.

• I already clearly said that Mengsk using the Zerg on Tarsonis didn’t sit well with him. It didn’t, and this is a fact from the lore and is not in dispute. Raynor did not focus on this though, he focused specifically on Kerrigan being left behind and her betrayal by Mengsk and left as a result. This is what happens in game, whether you wish to acknowledge it or not.

• For Metzen, sure, except things change during development. Remember how Selendis was supposed to be a big deal and she ended up pretty much a foot note. And we do have contradictory evidence. It’s called the release version of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty.

• You’re going to extremes again, and for someone allergic to contradictions, you make a whole heck of a lot yourself. I didn’t say Raynor was a scumbug, I said he’s not the “Last good guy” in the galaxy as Metzen said while presenting an alpha build three years before release. He also very clearly sees the Queen of Blades and Sarah Kerrigan as a different person, thus his focus and obsession on deinfesting her and trying to get “Sarah” back.

You also don’t have to “buy” anything if you don’t want to. It’s cool to not like something, or how something is executed. It’s just funny how you focus on a version of what the characters and story are and refuse to acknowledge and see what is obviously there in-game because it goes against your interpretation of the story.

Anyway, this is not the first time you and I have debated this topic, and you know you’re not going to sway me and I’m not going to sway you, so there’s not much point in us beating our heads against the wall over it.

What I will comment further on is your comment about people not seeming to understand overall what you were looking for in the story. People seem to think you want something that was “dark and brooding,” or whatever, but I disagree.

From what I can tell, you simply wanted a story and character development that was mature and more in line and tone with the original game. While for you the lack of getting that was a deal breaker, and for me I just shrugged and decided to enjoy the ride without getting my expectations up the second I saw the tone of story they were setting at the very beginning of the game.

Having said that, I too would absolutely have preferred a more mature story, and one more consistent in theme and tone with the original game. Aspects of it are in the sequel, but they’re often buried over modern game storytelling, perspective, player empowerment, and comedic interjections.

One thing I disagree on though is how you seem to want characters to remain static through the saga, where that’s simply not very realistic at all. People can and do change, for better and worse, over time. Some much faster or slower than others. Life is not that static at all.

Anyway, that’s my two cents.

You recall I made a StarCraft: Remastered Campaign to bridge the story from original to sequel better. Dealing with Raynor and his character changes was a part of that. If you were up to it, I’d be interested in your thoughts on my representations of the characters in the Campaign and if you felt it flowed, or not.

That’s an open invitation to everyone as well; it’s be interesting for me to see if the Campaign and Story community feels I captured the characters from the time period well or if I was way off.

The Campaign is called StarCraft: Interbellum. The First Mission Pack, a Zerg Campaign, can be downloaded at StarEdit if you search or Google for it. I tried posting a link, but it won’t let me post with it.

I’m not using this as a shameless plug for my Campaign, I really am curious what you guys will think about the story itself.

2 Likes

Just mark the part you wanna quote (like if you was copying it) and the Quote button will pop up.

1 Like