Is zerg useless in lower elo?

It feels like terran and toss can just make a big army and a click to win if they have a decent unit composition. They also don’t need to worry about spamming injects and spreading creep. If you have 2 players of equal APM the zerg will lose every time. That’s why I just 12 pool. Nobody knows what to do in lower elo against that. They just cry and lose. So how do you win as zerg in lower elo without cheesing? Do I just stop playing zerg and switch race to a click?

Please, don’t bother giving some strats that require 500-600 APM like Serral does. It’s pointless.

How do you beat immortal, archon, chargelot and hellbat, thor, tank by a clicking as zerg? Or even worse, skytoss.

I guarantee at your level, if you react better and just make more units, you will beat plat players.

What is your mmr and “handicap”?
3k mmr and 100 APM? 2.5k mmr and 60 APM?
What units do you like?

I have been messing around with unit comps in the unit tester. Not even with a generous army value (gas+minerals, not supply) advantage zerg doesn’t stand a chance while a clicking. Not even with unsieged tanks. Do you have any unit comps that beat what I said in the OP?

That depends on your elo / mmr.
You can’t just a-move in platinum 1 or higher with 60 APM as zerg.

Roach/Swarmhost is pretty easy if you max out fast (which is the key).
Lurkers are awesome vs. thors and even better with brood lords (if the guy stays on ground be it terran or toss; as long as you keep out of range of thors with your brood lords and out of range of tanks + scan with your lurkers).

If you post a replay, I can give you better feedback but if you don’t want to micro than your opponent with more army value / better micro will always win.

A great army comp is ling/bane/hydra and you can a-move it, if you split it in 3 armies before and set up flanks.

But anyway just post a replay so I can see how you play.

1 Like

anybody else refer to ling bane hydra as the “serral”?

ling bane muta is the idra
same with gg up 30 supply that’s also the idra

lbm could also be raynor or scarlett

nah on liquidpedia it says it’s the idra, but yeah i agree they were not the best at their own build rip

tilt is a hell of a bad drug

zerg is good in lower elo nobody else builds workers

1 Like

The biggest plus of zerg is that he can produce fast, strike fast and retreat fast. If you are letting your terran go to thors or the protoss go “skytoss”, then you are doing something wrong.

Immortal are countered by hydras, mutas, lurkers and maybe zerglings (but prob has archons if has immortals, so be careful).

Chargezealot is easily countered in early game by 4 queens (transfuse is the king), other than that: macro speed roaches and speed range hydras (if you don’t have the speed upgrades it’s gonna be difficult).

Early archons can be sniped with mutas, but if they are late game you are better off with broods.

Harassing hellbats are countered by 3 - 4 - 5 queens and speed roaches. Putting spine crawlers in your mineral line wont hurt a bit. Other than that, as an offence you can use hydras on creep. Don’t get close.

If the terran managed to get himself thors, you screwed up bad. Your only hope is to hit and run with mutas on the thor until someones army falls.

Honorable tips: do not let the protoss go to skytoss. If your army falls, snipe his money, that’s the protoss’ ultimate weakness. If the terran feels like turtleing with his tanks, dont give in, all you got to do is not let him expand further, watch out for medivac drops and hellbats going drone-cleaning. Eventually, you would’ve gathered a powerful enough army. The zerg is a very flexible class, it relies on speed, overwhelming numbers and durty tricks, simply put: It is not designed for huge army clashes like terran or protoss.

I think the biggest thing to know about zerg is how to defend against these cheesy forms of harass t/p do.

1 Like

Swarmhost = 3workers+mineral patch+gass+2roach+overlord+nydus worm+injector queen, all in 1unit

they get bigger overtime, they outperform drones, if overwelm with them

i Elo 3000-3366.6, ==>90APM
1queen is all i use for creep, and i spam extra hatch.
it’s not that huge to not inject if you have swarmhost/hatchery to replace drones and zergling/roach

noob spines OP
fast muta tech to stop herass and to support locust-launches
Roach after for basetrade-ragers and finsiher

Why? Solar is the one who brought it to popularity in HotS.

Though zergs in lower elo usually just build 2 gas before 2nd hatch or fast gas like that without any purpose and roaches way too early and that really cripples the economy.

More sh!t counters less sh!t. If you have 40 zerglings and 20 roach and 15 hydra, who cares about his two thors?
If he has two base you have three.
If his man pulls a knife, your man pulls a gun.
He sends your man to the hospital, you send his man to the morgue!
That’s how you counter the T/P.

solar’s baneling micro vs serral’s baneling micro

solar is the GOAT overlord player though solar is so damn good at overlords i want to cry sometimes

reminds me of that serral vs reynor where serral was straight up abusing his overseers in a merry go round (micro not the map)

does that actually help/work ?

or just make the overseers dizzy ;___;

serral is nasty with overseers so i dont doubt it helps, i just feel really bad and think they got nausea af

is it like the same effect as oversight extra vision but you can instantly move it without cancelling the oversight

If you are looking for an A-move composition then your best bet is gonna be Roach Hydra, just focus on macro and upgrades. When you get 2-1 go for the parade march across the map. (or double evo and try and rush out 3 - 3 upgrades as fast as possible - use the extra time it takes to get these upgrades to max your army supply)

This won’t work well in Diamond and up.
But you can have some fine games up to gold and in gold doing this.

It’s also a good way to focus on improving those ever vital macro hotkeys and injection timings.