Is Raynor's lvl 14 ability actually useful?

I rarely deploy the Hyperion on my main squad like I mostly use it to hunt objectives or snipe some enemy areas. Is it usually intended for Dusk Wings support and Battlecruiser fleet?

2 Likes

Good question. It is also difficult to test damage output with Hyperion on top of an army for the army’s output versus one without.

I thought the ability is exclusively for the Marines, considering their numbers, flexibility and DPS, they are the one who would benefit the most.

2 Likes

Depends on what you’re fighting against and what stage of the mission it is. That +2 attack is hugely impactful for Marines, especially against high armour targets like capital ships. But early on the Hyperion is much better suited to solo work, especially if you use tac jump well.

So, for example, a Marine gets about 4.65 extra dps while stimmed. A decent army of 100 of them therefore gain almost enough to melt an extra Ultralisk every second. Not something to brush off.

A BC would gain 10 dps, not really close to matching a Marine force with the buff. With 30 in mech attack speed they gain 13.33, still not there. With a (personally ill advised) P2 BC force you’ll roughly match Marines under mech stim.

More than anything though I’d say it’s just another tool in the box, when a strong frontal attack is needed then having the Hyperion with the crew both buffing and sniping high targets is definitely best. Plus it does also buff ally units nearby as well.

3 Likes

Good for Marines and BCs.

Does it work for allied units? I’d be great for “cracklings”.

I too end up using Hyperion to thrust into enemy territory, or lone wolfing around the map. Which is fine b/c I don’t really use all the talents for any given CO.

I’m sure some do though. Like if you’re all converged on an objective, your army and the Hyperion are all there, so why not?

Yeah, may want to just do some “old fashioned math” here.

Works best with anything that has low damage and a high RoF. Crack-rines shine the most from it, drop a platoon of those under Hyperion and watch a Hybrid Behemoth melt in less than 2 seconds. lol

In my experience, Hyperion’s damage-buff does effect allied units, though I feel the issue then becomes the fact it’s only an additive, not multiplicative; Zeratul’s Ambushers only see a negligible difference, for starters. :stuck_out_tongue:

Zeratuls aresenal would be the worst example of who this buff helps the most since his units are typically low numbers, slow but hard hitting. I’d say the hyperion helps han and horners reapers with their raven support the most since they have low damage but fast double attacks. If i’m not wrong that’s 10 extra damage altogether. They can fly above marines and attack at the same time as them as well so that should be a lot of damage!

Going back to the op’s question, yes the +2 damage helps out a lot for marines that otherwise take too long to dps down some targets even though the hyperion can also just mow them down.

1 Like

Increases the damage dealt by friendly units near the Hyperion by 2. Call down the Hyperion from the top panel.

So you’re saying you wish it were some percentage boost? Otherwise, it’s supposed to be additive at “+2”. Use it for units that have a high rate of fire, and for better effect, do relatively low damage. I’m guessing you can combine this with Havoc’s ability (from Alarak) to pile on more damage.

Even banshee, viking, firebat benefit from it up to a certain degree.

And it boosts them quite well.

Say a firebat has 11x2 attack at max upgrade vs an ultralisk of 7 armour. They deals a tiny 4x2 damage but with Hyperion buff it goes up to 6x2. A 50% increase in effective damage.

Same deal with marine.
Marine deals 2 damage against a BC but that turn into 4 with the buff. Effectively increase it by 100% more dps.

But of course Hyperion is best when it go solo and use its warp drive to the best.

On paper, the Hyperion having this ability and throwing Point Defense Drones above Zagara 300~500 zerglings with max evasion would be a good way to make Amon feel like rage-quitting.
On paper…

I find the ability very helpful on Malwarfare, where you can stack marines and the Hyperion together to clear the way for the transport.

I’m surprised at the number of people who throw the Hyperion solo beyond the first one. Hyperion + bioball becomes an easy base-buster with the Hyperion sniping key enemies while the buffed bioball melts everything that comes close. There are many speedruns where attacks are gated by the 2nd Hyperion to successfully assault certain objectives.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the PDD (point defense drones)!

It is intended for bio army, imo. You can have a lot of bio units, like marines (1 supply) that can stim. When get that 2 attack from the Hyperion, each of your bio gets that extra 2 attack, which improves your kill speed significantly.

Fast attack speed + higher attack damage = fast kills.