Is it just me of Raynor's BC is pretty bad?

It’s not as strong as I imagined it to be, even when you mass it with the Rebel Raider prestige. Bio still remains his best overall comp.

BC are strong but they are still vulnerable to spells and not as strong against swarmy compositions.
But on a plus side you can drop large amount of mules or medics to keep them healthy admist of heavy fire power.

F2-A move? They are bad.

But with just the move command acros an enemy base at 200/200 supply they dont leave anything below but the nexus and other high hp buildings. One turn over them and theyre gone too. I feel like deleting an enemy base especially if you have to run up a ramp is just wayyyy better with the fleet.

Im really not good at raynor makro and also im not yet lvl 12 (no insta-depots) and im maxing out supply at around 18-19 minutes.
Also, im just building more and more CCs to spam scans, mules for minerals and still have left mules for repairing in a moment of peace.

Later on when maxed out i barely ever loose a bc and if so, no more than 3-4 per engagement. I dont even care about repairing them so late into, i just build more starports and just replace them with new ones (if the mission is as long).

I just used them vs ground Mech on Temple, and they just don’t kill stuff fast enough. And yes, with equal upgrades. And of course, they’re weak to Widow Mine hits.

I didn’t make medics, but I feel they would just die to the ground army or to widow mine splash.

ive tried it with medics and its quite nice. Id actually think about walling them in :smiley:

that way if you fly over them they heal you (or warp back to them with red/orange hp bcs). It worked quite nice with just around 8-10 medics. I feel tho that the 75 gas they cost is quite high. While CCs are just built from spare minerals and its really wayne if you loose those 10 mules somewhere in the field. Also the repairing can be done where your bcs are. Not sure if id really go medic again

1 Like

Used them again vs the same ground Mech. They just don’t have enough durability or DPS. Goliaths can kill them. Thors can kill them. And other BCs can kill them especially. It’s far different from say, Karax’s Carriers where they have more DPS and durability.

Even Shadow of Death Alarax is better since that early of a mothership is so good and destroyers still have great DPS even though they’re squishy.

I kind of wish they would just put the two WoL upgrades for BCs at the Fusion Core as researches for Raynor, and change them up to be cooldown-based instead of energy-based, and have them start with autocast enabled along with any other numbers balancing needed to make them viable and useful.

Said upgrades are the splashing photon torpedo that does bonus damage versus Light and the defensive matrix that gives a barrier.

Or if they are bent on keeping the theme of a maximum of two researches for each unit, then include the photon torpedo ability as part of the yamato cannon Weapon Refit research and then just add a separate Defensive Matrix research.

3 Likes

Yes, they are pretty bad (they’re not awful, they’re just kinda meh-ish, at best).

Imo, the main problem is that in SC2 Blizzard decided to butcher them, when you compare them to what was called Battlecruiser in SC(BW). In BW a bc had 25 (34 with upgs) damage, able to kill most units in 3-4 shots. So in an encounter, they would attack, kill unit x fast, move to attack unit y and so on.
SC2 bc suck at dealing damage with their weak (6 / 8 - 9 / 11 with upgs vs air / ground) pewpewpewpew lasers, no matter how fast they fire them. And while that might work in vs or campaign (or buildings), in coop you have stronger enemies to defeat. Hybrid blasts, seeker missiles, freakin’ vipers, goliaths, tempests and even scourges, scouts and void rays can pose a serious threat to them. Oh, and I almost forgot about enemy bcs yamato-blasting yours away before you have the chance to do the same (unless you’re some sort of casting master).
Sure, they do have yamato and teleporting, but comparing them to their SC BW counterpart, you can’t help but feel they are uber-trashy (even more so if you realize that against +3 armor upg enemies, you lose at least 25-30% of your damage, compared to just 9% for SC BW ones).
So yeah, fast attacks with small damage might work for weak(er) units, like marines, lings, queens, but they are a bad idea to implement in capital ships (at least in coop).

And then ofc, it doesn’t really help poor ol’ Jimmy’s cause that both Horner’s Sovereign Battlecruiser and Mengsk’s Pride of Augustgrad are both far superior and awesome at being what a bc should be - a damn nearly unstoppable force, not a big fat ship that tickles opponents with tiny lasers.

7 Likes

tbh, BCs in sc2 never were the best dps per supply.

Even in mengsks Augustgrad bcs, the ratio for dps per supply is the worst amongst his imperial guards afaik. But they are really good spellcasters with waveclearing potential, thats for sure.

Raynors bcs on paper are not that great in dps either but their ability to dps while moving at full speed is kinda cool. What they could use is a faster lock on to different targets and maybe some sort of extra damage to armored targets?
I feel like a swarm of lings takes forever even tho their dps should melt them in seconds due to their weapons behavior.

Bcs are also less clumping up if you dont attack move them into somwhere, so the seeker missiles and vipers are no real issue i think. scourges may be, due to the same weapons behavior mentioned already.

And sure as hell: Raynors bcs dps vanish if you compare them to full 200 supply alarak p3 or any other high dps comp (diamondbacks for example too).

Best things about BCs is:

• rapid fire yamato can burst down any enemy and most objectives
  • global teleport to objectives or back to safety of base for repairs
  • easily repaired with mules anywhere on the map
  • up to 6 armor which is amazing against most anti air
  • big health pool which makes them a reliable investment that won’t die
  • great benefits from armor reducing effects or damage adding effects (H&H raven etc) due to fast attack speed
  • fire while moving
  • very resistant to AOE damage due to immense health

With Raynor p3 make sure you rush at least 5 OCommands (and expansion) for mule spam.
P3 is all about getting over that 50% mineral unit cost penalty and as soon as you get those MULEs running the only thing you need to care about is gas.

Battlecruisers (and Carriers) are balanced to be reliable sources of damage.
Smaller units like Marines will do more DPS/Supply but will also die often.
Battlecruiser can tank damage, deal damage and still survive meaning enemy wasted time attacking it.

2 Likes

Finally, someone with knowledge and a brain.

BW BCs can A-move over anything even Scourges, which is why Devourer counter them much better and Ghost have lockdown while Protoss can storm with 144 damage.

LOL Carriers are much better than BCs. Just because of the dumb AI targeting interceptors instead of the actual carriers themselves.

Karax carriers are low dps, slow, and slow to get out

I hope you are using P2

Of course. Talking about P2 Karax.

Though even with normal Karax, thanks to resurrecting zealots, it’s still easier to go carriers than mass P3 BCs.

P3 BCs is amazing hyperion cooldown around 3x-4x second is crazy ( Include uptime )

And raynor p3 can critical mass BCs really fast it also strong againts every comp i mean parasite bomb from viper then what? BCs have like 550 hp at start and even more from each armor upgrade they also tanky enough to use one or two charge in to kill caster with yamato before the rest join in ( imo not really need because how tanky BCs is )

Yamato and global teleport is much much much better than carriers.

If you are having trouble making BCs as p3 work its player error.

I’m willing to trade in tac jump and afterburner for the old lazor

The current pea shooter is atrociously bad

2 Likes

Yeah i mean start from mid game if having Hyperion available for every attack wave still not enough i don’t know what is

1 Like

No need for teleport if you’re already familiar with the map.

In theory Raynor’s BCs have an answer to everything, you burst down small units with the 7ish attack per second auto-fire, and you Yamato large sized units.

Mid sized units like Corrupters and Goliath are a big issue though, especially since Goliath are very good already against capital ships. They’ll just get too many attacks off with their range if you try to auto-fire them. So the best way I’ve found is to use rapid fire and target them with Yamato as well, or just dump the Hyperion on them.

Personally, while Sovereigns are good because they’re basically better BW BCs with mini Yamato, Augustgrads are quite a bit worse than Raynor’s outside of their triple splash Yamato and are really just best for their range aura.

But yeah, due to Raynor’s inhumane policies regarding his Marines he gets far more value out of a Bio force 9 times out of 10.

2 Likes