Interesting new Terms of Service

To my surprise I got this new Terms of Service:

For games played on computer (via the Battle.net gaming service) and Nintendo Switch, the Blizzard End User License Agreement (EULA) and Terms of Sale will be transferred to Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. Therefore, the Blizzard games you play and services you use, including Platform, digital content and services will no longer be provided by Activision Blizzard International B.V. after 31 December 2021. The same Platform will be provided by Blizzard Entertainment, Inc

Now this could mean nothing but it clearly says Activision Blizzard will no longer provide the service, it will be provided by Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.

Are we actually seeing the beginning of a quiet departure from Activis? A man can dream.

3 Likes

where are you seeing this? I’m curious to read it and now I’m wondering what that means for battle.net and blizzard as a whole.

I got this the last time I logged in, it was just a bit longer.

Just read the update myself yesterday when I log in. Its hidden in between the huge and long paragraphs. When companies do this its not that very helpful to find it and to what was not there before. Lots of this is the lawyers doing that’s why terms of service has always been a huge pain to read.

Tbf in most states, countries, and principalities EULAs/ToS aren’t legally binding literally because of what you’ve pointed out. They’re massive paragraphs of generic legalese and most of what they claim to have legal protection for/against are things you can’t just ask people to sign away. They kinda fall under the same category as liability wavers: They sound enforcable but you can’t make someone sign something that says “If I die here you aren’t responsible” as that’s a pretty dumb way to loophole murder.

One of the biggest issues with EULAs is generally that they only become available after purchase

2 Likes

They’re also not guaranteed to be presented in a language the agreer can understand, most don’t enforce any concept of informed consent (you might be able to argue to the right court that the ones that require you to scroll to the bottom enforce this), and they sometimes throw in absolutely ridiculous clauses for kicks and giggles.

Nice catch this was, I’ll pat myself in the back.