Improving Raynor: Flying Orbital Command

Link: https://youtu.be/dEDbmBxa3Qo
Once in a discussion, there were complaints that Raynor took too much space because of Orbital Command (to be fair most of Raynor’s Buildings do).
Raynor is one of those commanders that takes lots of spaces and he could be in big disadvantage in small areas such as DoN and partners may find it hard to move through congested spaces.

Orbital Command can retain its abilities while flight.

1 Like

Oh, that’s too much for one station to handle.

I’m not really seeing a point to this change.

All maps can be done without going more than 4 OC. There is plenty of space even as high as 10 OC, even for DoN. If a player chooses to not utility the given space property, it shouldn’t be reason to support flying while retaining MULES and Scans. Lest we forget CC/OC can lift and land to reposition.

What this change does is basically so units of ally can move around, as Raynor has drop production and doesn’t benefit at all.

1 Like

I don’t know man, when you have a Mengsk and a Raynor on DoN that base gets REALLY crowded.

In my opinion, this is very rare when this feature will play an important role. It is very effective when an ally Mengsk goes through artillery, and besides DoN it will also work well in OE. For other maps, it will be imperceptible.

Yeah that’s rare. Mengsk EOs can finish the map before N3 alone. I mean unless the Raynor ally is building nothing but OC for 15min straight just to compete for real estate… that’s just too outlier of a case haha.

Most normal flows, even without EO and going Troop/AG bio ball should have plenty of room left. Really when this mass floating OC start to benefit is when u reach 6-8 additional to the more standard 4 OC we see often.

It’s really more of a waste of time than a benefit.

this seems a good change, after all only handful of Raynors even build enough CC for it to be necessary the rest will not even notice this change. for the few that really do 110% MacRoyner it will be easier for them to develop the Super Economy they strive for without pissing off teammate

Yeah not really “good”. For reference, there have been suggestions for the 150min upgrade to increase OC energy pool and regeneration. Why wouldn’t that be implemented instead (if this is such a necessary change).

At least that proposal (even though still unnecessary) solves the space issue entirely without the clunkiness of floating OCs everywhere.

I fail to see the need here, espicially on DoN. clear the bottom left area on the first night, and you can use the bottom and left most area as extra building space for remote buildings (Orbitals, supply, research, drop-based production). I do that almost every game and have only had a few problems with it.

Would it not just be easier to increase the amount of mules that drop or reduce the energy cost?
Might as well increase the amount of marines that drop as well (with increase cost) so players don’t have to spam the build button 24/7.

You monster! Playing Good Guy™ Raynor right means building at most 100 Marines a mission! Think of their wives and kids!

On a more serious note, I’d personally go with a non-flying method if we were to reduce Raynor’s base foot print. I tend to let flying anti-air buzz around my base rather than taking them out often enough that it’d get some OCs destroyed for me.

However! I also want to just say that I appreciate the time and creativity you’re putting into all this. Very nice.

1 Like

I randomly threw out a proposal of this back in a discussion and surprisingly there were quite a number of people liking it.
So I tried implementing this change and uploaded it.

I am not particularly attached to this change but Raynor do take up so many spaces with his other production buildings and I figured it is nice to have some remedy for it.
I haven’t played Raynor in a long time and I am being dependent on my memories and partner’s gameplay, so I’ll trust your judgements on it.

Thank you.

Even with army Mengsk, the fact that he needs to cram in at least 2 CCs of his own is already really tight when Raynor takes up most of the space. Still, Army Mengsk would probably be, less than some other commanders.

How is floating OC making this better?

Is it Raynor’s space management issue because he needs a ton of space? Or is it your ally who’s not playing Raynor properly and making 10+ CC, on a map known to lack real estate?

If I told you that we need to widen your drive way because your neighbour always parks in two spots and on your property. Does it make sense for you to widen your driveway to accommodate your neighbour? Lol.

The point is that Raynor or Mengsk doesn’t need that extra space. And if you just have to, YOU just MUST, then clear an area and build there.

I’d rather have floating bunkers…

Okay I see this idea is half yes/no.
In conclusion, we shouldn’t get surprised if this gets implemented or not.

Floating Bunkers? You mean Raynor having UFO Bunkers? Interesting but considering Bunker is for defensive line it may not be necessary.
Besides, I made War Prism do that (Similar concept).

That’s a particularly odd conclusion to make. It’s not like Raynor is suffering so badly from a lack of real estate that players are screaming for it.

Even if this is a problem, there would be more elegant solutions.

My issue with some raynor players is that they go for a massive amount of OC and don’t build any sort of forces, or instead of building forces, they build groups of OCs and tech to BCs and even at 11 minutes, they have very little to show for it.

2 Likes