Implementing and testing coop suggestions

No wonder. I use English version of Editor, since it has less layout misplacement bugs, and this is the first time I uploaded game screenshots.

Here is another suggestions. This time about Zeratul:

• If cannon projection is killed, 120 seconds is added to projection cooldown.
  • Telbrus Legion
    • Feedback energy cost is removed and cooldown is 5 seconds. Additionally Telbrus restores shields and energy per damage dealt by Feedback.
    • Some changes to Psi Storm autocast validators (require at least 2 targets)
    • New passive ability “Recall on Death”, cost 25 energy from Telbrus, requires comander level 8 and first artifact. When Zealot takes fatal damage, it will be recalled back to Telbrus and restore shileds.
      • when second artifact is found, “Recall on Death” will reset cooldown on Whirlwind and Charge abilities.
      • when third artifact is found, “Recall on Death” will also restore HP of Zealot.
      • it will not work if Telbrus has not enough energy or killed.
  • Legon’s heroes now have “heroic” tag
  • Stasis Beam
    • it will now cast stasis with different duration depending on unit vitals (HP + Shileds)
      • heroic units and units with vitals >= 500: 5 seconds
      • 500 > vitals >= 100: 10 seconds
      • vitals < 100: 15 seconds
    • after stasis units will be debuffed by “Stasis Aftereffect” for 3 seconds
      • slowed and cannot attack or use energy-based abilities
      • 2nd artifact: + 1 to beam width, + 3 seconds to debuff duration, + cloaking is disabled
      • 3rd artifact: + 1 to beam width, + another 3 seconds, + detection is disabled
  • Avatar of Form: couldn’t think of any other good changes
    • Changed Storm autocast validators (require at lest 2 targets)
    • Storm cooldown reduced to 4 seconds

Also uploading some more missions for tests.

5 Likes

After some more test of Alarak, I changed shield armor increase to just shields increase. Alarak will become too powerful with just +5 shield armor (for example he can ignore Pirate Ship (RtK bonus) autoattack). Also set maximum Reflection chance to 55% (starts from 5%). Added “Permanent Presence” ability to Destroyers. This ability remove “Timed Life” behaviors from Destroyers for the cost of 3 supply (psi) each.

I also made some changes to Karax (since I have now more understanding of coop data/triggers):

• Unit Cost Reduction mastery completely swapped with Structure Cost Reduction (-1% … -30%).
  • Solar Efficiency upgrade will reduce combat unit cost (removing 10% from initial cost increase for each level, so unit cost becomes normal at level 3).
  • Solar Efficiency levels upgrades cost increased to 250/250, 325/325, 400/400.

EDIT: I’ve made a mistake when uploaded Karax changes, so nothing actually changed. Nobody noticed. :+1:

1 Like

How much time/work does it take to change something like what you did here?

More than time to do the changes, it first takes time to do the preparations. Now, that I have custom coop mod that I can play with and a map to test it, simple changes can be done very quickly.
It took me a month or two to make them (and another month to polish them). And I was playing with editor since sc2 beta (I really wanted a lot more features in old SC:BW editor, that I too used a lot).

2 Likes

Sounds like a whole heap of work, at least to an inept such as myself. Thanks for all the work you’re putting into it! How does this work compare to making a map?

Making a map is just tedious because of terrain. Test map at first didn’t even had texture differences around the map and finding artifacts with Zeratul, for exmaple, was a lot harder (when all you see in vision is a plain texture without cliffs, that can be anywhere). For the new map I “made”, terrain was already made, I just needed to make a little change (and I’ve learnt a lot of new things about terrain editor, and then there is also doodads).
For triggers, there is a templates in coop mod, so it not that difficult (although it might be difficult for new users without programming experience).

It’s been a lot of time since my last change to my suggestions mods. And there was a whole two Co-op Updates. So, looking at the changes, I decided to disable and delete Zeratul suggestions. I still think that Stasis Beam won’t be picked by many players, but I like these changes overall.
For Karax, I liked most of the changes, so I removed most of my suggestions for him. After playing with new Karax, I think that his ramp up time didn’t improve much. So I want to give this suggestions to improve him.
Changes that stay:

• Extra build range for probes.
  • Phase Cannon ability for Energizers (and phasing mode subgroup priority change)

Added:

• “Release Interceptors” ability for Carrier. Launches all Interceptors at the target point with a 60 second timed life. Interceptors remain at the area until they expire. Cooldown 20 seconds.
    Carriers from ladder had such ability some time ago.
  • Added “Compact Fabrication Matrix” upgrade (Req. Level 14):
    • Allows 2 Interceptors to be created simultaneously.
    • Increases the maximum number of Interceptors that Carriers can hold to 12.
      Combined with above ability it allow Carrier to attack with more interceptors, than it can hold.
  • Solar Efficiency lvl 1 and lvl 3 upgrades will increase vespene harvest rate (+1 per trip).
    Extra gas after level 1 upgrade will improve early game a lot, and on level 3 it will allow to do both upgrades and units, so you don’t need to use 1 or 2 unit types in army because of no gas for unit-specific upgrades.
1 Like

I hate to open “old wounds”, but people who clamor for new missions (including yours truly), should be reminded that new maps/missions ARE a lot of work. They need to be balanced for enemy compositions, objectives, enough space for 2 players, expansions for 2. It’s a lot more level of effort than many of us give credit for. They do need a lot of testing too (although the last few do seem to leave a lot to be desired).

Hmm, I might have an idea that, if I had more time, i could try to see: what if the upgrades were also determined based on the number of structures for zeratul?

I.E: The production structures increase armor and attack levels each for the units. The “research” structures each provide one tier of upgrades for the units. They each require the artifacts.

Zeratul himself and his probes would probably be independent of structures. Top bars is up to mod creator if they should tie in or not. If it does, it should tie in with the structure that is roughly associated(Robo bay/Fac for Zor, Shrine/Gate for Serdath, Cyber/Gate for zealots).

Course, this does mean zera can be allowed, to an extent, become stronger, but I am interested in making him more interesting than just building “one structure and you’re good”.

You said it yourself though, Kerrigan’s basic attack is rather pathetic compared to her spells. This coupled with her anti-air being massively inferior to her anti-ground makes me think an attack buff for her would be pretty good.

As for making Kerrigan somehow invulnerable due to lifesteal? Alarak theoretically can get more out of his 40 health/supply lifesteal than Kerrigan, yielding healing for more than 30% of the enemy’s life for most units. Plus, he gets the healing no matter who kills the unit, whether him, his army, or his ally.

Basically, it would take a lot of effort to make Kerrigan’s life steal keep up with even Alarak, who’s not even a particularly tanky hero.

Among co-op heroes, Kerrigan probably fits the title of melee dps. You could argue bruiser but at best she’s in between, and really she’s just overturned by design. She has good lifesteal and all, and a lot of hp, but ultimately she boils down to killing the enemy quickly so she doesn’t die. Reality is you get far more survivability out of Fenix’s predator armour, either of Tychus’ melee muscles, and way more durability out of Dehaka with his potentially 5 digit hp.

I think Kerrigan still has unfulfilled potentional that yet to be locked.

Check out my links on how to improve.
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/sc2/t/kerrigans-chain-reaction/1386

And

Oh for Dehaka, he can over 6 Digits and when he reaches like 440000, his health reach 1 because the collected Essence for some reason hits -65565

One thing about Kerrigan’s carapace is that it is a behavior, that turns 30% of any damage dealt by Kerrigan into carapace. Which means that chain reaction damage is not considered as “dealt by Kerrigan”. So, you need to change a whole chain reaction mechanism to make it so it will contribute to carapace, and it will be more complicated.
I’m thinking of testing giving Kerrigan some kind of auto-attack buff, where her attack have a chance to deal a lot more damage to current target. Like firing Psionic Blast.

1 Like

That’ll be nice.
What do you think about my other ideas for kerrigan? Especially one where she takes less damage under Psionic Dash?

Well then that’s a score screen bug too. Now we can definitely get blizzard to fix it!

2 Likes

Score is fine, because score counts damage dealt by damaging effect, without accounting for which unit deal that damage. Like how fire damage from Karax’s Colossus counts toward “Damage Dealt By SoA”, because solar lance use same damaging effect for fire damage.

How hard would it be to have Swann or karax have the following changes: they build production buildings fast, but each cost way more resources. But the units are very cheap or free, but take a long time to build.
So maybe 5x the price for buildings, and 5/10 the time for units? This would make a commander who can mass an army of robots, but needs to invest in production buildings first.