I was thoroughly disappointed in WoL and HotS

Well I’m new to StarCraft. Never picked it up when I was younger, I guess because Age of Empires and Total War gave me enough strategy. But I picked it up a few months ago, played a few matches, got into co-op which is fun and then finally I tried out the campaign.
Now I never played the first game but I heard great things about StarCraft as a franchise and lore in general and I was looking forward to experience the friend advertised gritty and tactical world where you thrive only to survive.

Well that didn’t happen. WoL was mostly like an ill-aged sci-fi action movie from the early 2000s. The story is kiddy stuff, the characters are black and white and of course there has to be a prophecy. And there was nothing gritty or hard or tactical about it, each mission grants you the best tool for said mission and leads you from A to B. Now I’m a bit of a Columbus and by that I mean I run around with my army like an idiot to explore and I was amazed how simple the maps were.

HotS was even easier because on top of all this you have a super-duper powerhouse hero.

And the story is like a redemption story with a revenge-massacre and a prophecy? Oh please. Here’s hopin’ the LotV and the Nova campaigns will be better. Take care y’all.

3 Likes

I’ve got bad news for you.

5 Likes

Nova’s the best I would say.

But in terms of difficulty, Brutal WoL wins.

2 Likes

Oh boy. Well, I got some time into LotV and so far it looks like a sh*t hits the fan scenario.

1 Like

As a Broodwar fanatic, the entire SC 2 is heretic. All the magic and uniqueness of SC 1 are gone. Dialogues are painfully clichè, lacking characteristics without depth.

Except for some characters that are initially interesting, the rest are like a super heroes franchise.

I know they dump down a lot of thing for the sake of a wider audience but this is not my taste. We got more than enough of those trashes in the market already.

3 Likes

Well I can’t say anything for SC 1 but yeah, 2 is kid stuff. The story was just bad and linear.

Idk I loved the ending to wol

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with that, I’m glad you did. Since I personally loved Tychus the most, I am a bit upset about him. Not that I thought it could work out any other way.

Actually, for a small fee you can revive him post Great War. He even recruit some of his friend to fight by your side.

4 Likes

Where are you right now?

LotV’s main body is relatively good, but once you get somewhere, you’re in for a friggin’ ride.

1 Like

This killed the emotion so quick

That’s golden. Tychus main in co-op, by the by.

Zeratul just got shanked by an Amon controlled Artanis. I think my objective in the next mission will be to protect Karax while he fires up the Spear of Adun, so at the very beginning.

Yeah, 3rd mission.

Actually relatively difficult on Brutal. You don’t have OP stuff yet and you have only Zealots, Stalkers and defensive structures, so you can’t make up for bad macro/micro.

And is the story good?

LotV’s main story is usually considered the most coherent campaign of the three main installments. Artanis also faces more adversity than Raynor or Kerrigan.

It stars fan favorite Alarak or my favorite Protoss - Vorazun. Artanis is consistent with his SC1/BW portrayal.

Amon is still weakest character.

It is beneficial for you to read short stories that were published freely around the release.

You have played, Prologue. I have desribed main body, but…

Here is the thing. Epilogue is… so bad, we don’t really talk about it here. For reasons.

I know about Alarak from Heroes of the Storm and co-op, loved him so far.

So looking forward to that.

Okay, as a follow-up I’m almost done with LotV and while it had some good dialogue and cinematics, overall I think it was pretty bad. All the missions were just about either defending a structure or taking out a few scattered structures. Pretty crappy so far with all this big bad eeeeevil fighting against all of life.

Did you play the epilogue?

We don’t say those words here.

1 Like

Not yet. Almost there though, but I don’t have much faith. I guess that’s why I’m not on the same brain wavelength as the Protoss.