How do you feel about the idea of Gorgons in multiplayer?

Basically sort of to function like a mothership for terrans. Terrans can only have one of them and they obviously wouldn’t be as OP is in story mode. Here is how it would work.

1. They have the same cost as Motherships.
  2. They have the same health as mothership health+shields combined.
  3. Gorgons increase the attack speed of all units near them by 30%
  4. They attack with missiles like in story mode but balanced for multiplayer.
  5. Only one can be out any any given time.
  6. Made from command centers.
  7. Even though I hate this as a zerg main, they would be immune to neural.

this seems like it would break the balance of the game, 30% increase of attack speed is almost adrenal glands on all units. There is just no way to balance such a spike in power.

I really don’t think that we should give Protoss gameplay to Terran, Terran and Protoss already play quite similarly compared to Zerg. If the Gorgon was added, I would prefer it to be a normal high supply unit rather than a mothership copy.

2 Likes

this seems like it would break the balance of the game, 30% increase of attack speed is almost adrenal glands on all units. There is just no way to balance such a spike in power.

Yes. That is way too much. For this part lets just assume Gorgons were to be added in this fashion. What about instead about 5-10%? Or very slight healing over time?

I really don’t think that we should give Protoss gameplay to Terran, Terran and Protoss already play quite similarly compared to Zerg. If the Gorgon was added, I would prefer it to be a normal high supply unit rather than a mothership copy.

Also a fair argument to make. In this scenario though it would then need to fill a role that the battlecruiser doesn’t. At least thats seems to be how the SC2 developer team has done things in the past.

I think healing over time might be decent because other races units also heal over time. I also think 5 or 10% could be balanced since 10% damage is generally the difference between weapons upgrades in the engineering bay and it can be possible to take fights with 1/1 units against 2/1, of course some other buffs or nerfs would have to be made to compensate Terran getting another unit.

I don’t think it would be too difficulty to create a unit with a unique role from a BC since the BC is already quite a niche unit. The BC has a quite low DPS and low speed, being reliant on it’s two abilities to make hit and run attacks.
If the Gorgon didn’t have those two abilities, it could be balanced to be an actual Terran air superiority unit alike the Carrier.

That gorgon from Nova mission 8 where they spawn and insta kill all below. It could be a requirement like an upgrade from BC for tactical jump but no one would want to build it just for it, I would not mind if TJ didnt exist in Multi it is one of those stupid designs of harass (it could require an upgrade to be used for late games only). And in reality they would not make such changes, there are no devs just some autopilot

That is what makes it more likely that we could see unit changes. When Blizzard ran Starcraft, they saved adding units in multiplayer for expansions because they wanted to attract players (including multiplayer players) back to buy the expansions, adding new units regularly would only serve to make the expansions less eventful (therefore costing them money).

A unit that already exists in singleplayer could be added without the need of artists, animators or programmers, and since the balance council is entirely made up of pro players who know the game inside and out, they should be able to decide what would be well balanced or not. Since one of the aims of the balance council is to continue interest in Starcraft, cycling new units into multiplayer and removing old ones would be a good way to do that.

1 Like

I miss those times. I wish this game didn’t just end in 3 chapters. It would be nice if they had expansions with new SC2 challenges coming out periodically. We have to rely on modders for new content. On the other hand, there some upsides to the game being like it is now. One doesn’t have to worry about their favorite strategies getting nerfed or blizzard coming out with some super greedy monetization model like they did with Overwatch 2. Then again. I forget this game does have the same monetization model. Its just the game is shelved.

Necroing rn because bored, but in general I would like the concept of loadouts/subcommanders for each faction like how kane’s wrath does it for c&c3

1 Like