Future of SC storyline?

Overqueen isn’t Metzen’s concept.

Confederacy wasn’t sustainable and arguably Conclave wasn’t either.

Didn’t you love the fact that original structures fell apart, while hating on new structures staying few weeks ago?

Now you want multitude of missions about those that fell apart.

Geez, get some consistency.

Warcraft always had bigger fanbase.

If you haven’t noticed, we’re F2P already.

Actually, now that I think about it some more. I haven’t been affected by StarCraft II going free to play. And I play it a lot! It’s quite understandable for someone who doesn’t even really play to not notice the change.

By the by, have you noticed that you’re quite a pioneer in this forum?

In what sense do you think of me as a pioneer.

The Confederacy lasted for two centuries and the Conclave lasted for millennia.

I don’t care about the sustainability of fictional governments that operate according to author fiat anyway. I care about the health of the IP. The lore only exists as an added bonus when the real meat is the multiplayer. From a doylist perspective, the Confederacy, Conclave, and Overmind are superior because they promote a constant state of war both against the other races and against internal factions with a minimum of effort.

In recent years Starcraft has been eclipsed in popularity by Warhammer 40k for the first time. Gee, I wonder why.

How do you measure that anyway?

You can’t be actually correct anyway, because WH40K is older than Starcraft and Starcraft borrowed many elements from it.

Thus your statement about Warhammer eclipsing Starcraft in popularity for the first time is false. End of story.

Anyway,

SC is rooted in RTSes and WH is rooted in tabletop games and later on books. So comparing them is flawed in this sense as well.

WH40K and SC are only superficially similar.

Warhammer in general is much more niche, whereas Starcraft wants to cater to wider audience because it’s AAA video game and those tend to that.

Warhammer with its bleak as fu^k setting is much more unique, given that recently entertainment is focused on creating “family-friendly” content.

Which on the other hand creates demand for “family-unfriendly” content niche, which Warhammer fits to a T.

But to go back on-topic, the future storyline could be anything. Blizzard seems quite happy to pull new civilizations out of the woodwork on the flimsiest of pretenses. I imagine that we will get some new zerg swarm from another sector with a new Overmind and a new protoss empire from another sector with a new Conclave/Khala, among countless other possibilities like another group of surviving xel’naga.

During development of World of Warcraft Blizzard pilfered the most obscure corners of the lore at that time, and it stands to reason they will do the same to Starcraft albeit at a much slower rate since it is Blizzard’s red-headed stepchild. We can perhaps expect backstory novels on the otherwise bland and forgettable zerg and protoss exploring their culture and history prior to meeting the terrans. Stories about how evil and freedom-destroying the Conclave and Khala were, and how the zerg were actually a friendly peaceful people until Amon forced them to be bad. Which will then be contradicted by novels depicting the complete opposite, like the heroic Conclave fighting off vicious tal’darim crusades and the zerg being vicious mad scientists entirely of their own accord and scaring a retconned heroic Amon.

Remember how Sargeras was retconned to a good guy? That will happen to Amon, and the zerg will become evil. He’ll have his own backstory novel explaining how he tried and failed to stop the evil zerg from conquering the universe or something.

Whatever

Confederacy was unsustainable in the new conditions called.

XENO ATTACK.

All those years of existence have no merit.

Blizzard seems to have forgotten the Confederacy ever existed. The Kerry skin for Overwatch apparently stated she was a Dominion ghost. I wouldn’t put it past Blizzard to retcon the Confederacy out of existence.

She was a ghost for the Sons of Korhal, which became the Dominion. For the purposes of a 2 second blurb referencing a ~20 year old game, that’s good enough.

To say nothing of the fact that the OW team is not the SC team and is therefore significantly less inclined to care.

To get back on topic, again, the future storylines could be anything Blizzard pulls out of the woodwork or retcons. It’s pretty much pointless to care about the lore since Blizzard can, has, and will rewrite the lore to suit whatever they need at the moment.

The supplemental fiction is just paid fanfiction and will be ignored by the game plot. The plot could be anything, but will be ridiculous, retconned and badly written. The Disneyfied ending of LotV will be ignored, just like how all previous endings were ignored. Some new threat will come out of the woodwork, like Earth being taken over by another group of xel’naga or Valerian, Artanis, or Zagara will go insane and decide to wage war. Amon will be retconned as a good guy.

And fanboys will eat that dross like it was popcorn.

Cries in Umojan and KMC

1 Like

All memeing aside, there are enough interesting plot hooks and possible conflicts that the story could go in any of a number of directions, some of the quite interesting. It’s going to be dependent on the people writing it. Covert ops was quite good.

In other words, keep writers like Golden far far away.

Well, you started our holy church. You invented the way to circumvent the stupid character limit. Not once, but twice!

I, actually, quite like Golden’s work. The problem is with Blizzard management not the writer. There should be someone who makes sure that all the writer have a correct understanding of the lore. Or just read those books while it was written or something.

1 Like

I have some non blizzard bias against Golden TBH. She wrote some truly terrible books for the Star Wars EU. In comparison her stuff for SC is pretty decent. Still don’t want her helping to drive the plot, that hasn’t worked out great for Warcraft.

The problem with Golden is that she has a clear bias when writing her characters and stories. Rise of the Horde was the only decent novel she wrote for the Wc Universe because there was no Human or elven character in it.
Otherwise she is the one who gave Anduin a 50 years plot armor (That Blizzard dismissed as a possible future, Ha !) and really doesn’t get Sylvanas. The cold, calculating strategist who cared for the Forsaken is now throwing temper tantrums and does not care for the Forsaken. And now 3 of the 4 original Horde races are leaderless…

I think the problem with WoW is that theres a bit of a power struggle in the writing team between people who want Sylvanas to be a good guy/anti-hero and people who want her and the horde to be WC2 style bad guys again, and neither of them can really fully commit the plot to either one.

I co-established the Church at best. Mar started the whole thing by applying Charmed’s logic against it.

And I wouldn’t have had the idea without seeing the redhead’s continuous nonsense.
In a way, our Church was founded as a Light in the Darkness :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I wonder if SC writers will suffer a similar schism regarding the zerg, or if the writers will unanimously agree it makes more sense for the zerg to be SC1-style villains and alienate those fans who wanted to see the zerg become unambiguous good guys. Considering that the cancelled “Ares” FPS was going to be an AVP clone, I didn’t get the impression that the zerg would still be conventional heroes.

I personally prefer the zerg as villains because that simply makes more sense with their whole aesthetic and because I’m not a loony who demands Disney-esque black and white morality from all fiction I consume. (The original version of Sleeping Beauty depicts the prince doing the deed with her unconscious body. Take that, Disney!)

Also, there’s this dude writing a quasi-realistic Warcraft AU where the horde are WC2-style baddies but it turns out they’re not literally evil satanists they just have a different harsher culture. I personally find it preferable to canon.

Let’s be honest, kissing dead/comatose chicks is fu^king weird.