Free Tips For Terran Players

Hello. I will be brief. I will collect some tips that I find really important in this thread. I feel that I am lacking in in-depth knowledge of the game, so I will try to fix that. I know this section is not very popular, but this also will be a reminder to myself. So if additionally a couple of souls will wander here and get some use out of it, well, that’s great.

Note: I cant guarantee that everything is absolutely correct. Basically, I do a couple of tests (usually more than a couple actually) and make a conclusion right away. E.g. some results may vary depending on numbers of units participating in tests. But I don’t think that any of the conclusions may be really misguiding.

Vikings against Vikings

This is the trickiest match up because outcomes look a bit random. Sometimes even a group of vikings affected by AA missle wins against the same group of vikings w/o this debuff. Overall, even though AA missle may cause a great effect, it’s not a reliable choice, so when big groups of vikings fight each other, it’s probably a better choice to use interference matrix.
Focus Fire is usually a bad thing to do. It’s really good, if you have exactly 7 Vikings, so you can one-shot enemy’s Vikings. But if there are more, their shots will be wasted. What is always important though, is to group your vikings in a tight stack, since such fights heavily decided by which units fire first. I also wouldn’t suggest to build a raven as a supportive unit, just build more vikings.

Resume:

• Group your units in a tight stack before fight happens
  • FF is good only if you don’t lose too many shots in process (aka avoid doing that)
  • Interference Matrix is more reliable than AA missle
  • Make more vikings instead of adding a Raven to win in this match up

Vikings vs Corruptors

AA missle has a great effect against Corruptors. Always use it, if you can. However, w/o AA missle debuff Vikings trade evenly, if you use Focus Fire. You may kite them aswell, but there is a good chance of screwing things up. Not talking of how much of your attention it takes.

Resume:

• FF is a must
  • AA missle is great
  • Kiting is not recommended

Bio + Raven against Zealots and Sentry

Raven is great in TvP, there should be no doubts about it. Yet, interestingly enough, I’ve found that AA Missle might be slightly overrated. Effect of this ability may vary from greatly positive to negative (when you debuff your own army) and it’s not easy to use. In fact, 2 Missle Turrets have pretty much the same positive effect as one dream hit of AA Missle, unless you are very much behind in upgrades. To take the best from them, you should place them in front of your army, so zealots charge into them. I believe that using 3 Missle Turrets is also a better idea than 2 AA Missles. It’s more reilable and Protoss can’t simply retreat and avoid fighting you until debuff wears off.
Even though Guardian Shield is very strong, I wouldn’t recommend use Interference Matrix for Sentries, unless you have only 50 energy and there is only one Sentry in Protoss army.

Resume

• AA Missle is great, but if you have enough energy, throwing 2 Missle Turrets instead is a more reliable choice with similar impact.
  • Interference Matrix is not as effective as the other two.

To be updated

2 Likes

On the one hand you are advisinig to use interference matrix, but then advisinig not to build ravens.

Otherwise very nice free information.

You need the raven because its never just viking VS viking in tvt, and raven also punishes hard if you clump like you suggest
Also you want to aam the clump of zealots Always then disable immortals, sentry, whatever
Turret only after if the fight gets scrappy and raven gains Back energy

1 Like

Damn, just wandered into the forums today for the 1st time to report a bug, and found gold! thank you!

1 Like