Forgives Kerrigan but not Mengsk?

I challenge you to say 10 good things about WoL.

1 Like

I asked him to read a thread, not go on a mission impossible.

I think all you guys can be answered with one basic and fairly short reply.

Yes, Kerri is ruthless. As the embodiment of the Swarm, she is the manifestation of hyper-aggressive deadly evolution. If she was weak, she would be unfit to rule. Strength and force of will are necessary.

I’ll read your longer notes in a sec but the best example of her being ruthless is every time a Brood Mother wants to return to the fold Kerri tells her to go take a Dominion world as proof, and you see a whole world being covered with creep.

That said, the Terrans and the Protoss aren’t really any nicer. Mengsk is a total scumbag and the Protoss simply go to any planet with Zerg on it and purify it. No real love lost.

That said, HotS is an RTS/RPG hybrid. Kerri is a leveling protagonist. Every functional RPG has to have a protagonist the player can relate to. And so, despite the Swarm being ruthless and deadly, the Heart of the Swarm is a human heart and I think it’s hilarious how she’s teaching Zagara and Abathur to be more “human” by the very measures of making them more deadly and ruthless.

While she takes apart the Dominion, she does have her sight on a post-Arcturus humanity, and she wants Valerian to be that leader, and she respects him for his regard for life. Therefore, yes, she can be a deadly expletive, but she’s certainly not what she was in WoL and SC1.

I’ll answer you guys in much more detail by tonight. I am sorry, the posts in this thread are so crazy long that my fingers are falling off.

Wimp. You haven’t even tried.

Understandable.

There is no point in any further reaction from until you read our stuff in order to gain full comprehension.

1. The gameplay is good
  2. The editor is awesome
  3. Nice e-sports scene
  4. Nice cinematics
  5. Campaign upgrades & research is cool
  6. Multiple building selection
  7. Rallying SCVs to minerals
  8. Talented voice actors
  9. Higher resolution than SC1
  10. Battlenet matchmaking system

Done! :grin:

Anything is possible now!

Heh. I would add music.

That being said, LotV wins the music category if I compare the installments.

I am now a beacon of positivity on this forum. :muscle:

3 Likes

Tsss, you haven’t asked him to say 10 good things about WoL’s story.

I’m gonna do my list :

1-A Better Tomorrow. Still get me chills in my spine.
2-The Castanar Hybrid. Only time in Sc2 where an Hybrid lived up to its reputation IMO.
3-Haven’s fall. Downer ending reminiscent of Sc1. (What to do you say, it’s not canon ? Can’t hear you)
4-Valerian. Stupid introduction aside, I like how he was ambiguous and you couldn’t get yourself to trust him entirely. You could sense the Mengsk part in him.
5-Warfield getting buddy with Raynor on Char.
6-Tychus and Stetmann banter in Belly of the Beast.
7-The scene with Tychus’s doll in Tosh’s death cinematic. Poor guy can’t catch a break.
8-The intro sequence. Hell, it’s about time.
9-The post-it on the Hyperion TV. Why do I get the feeling that Raynor’s tendancy to shoot the TV is what ruined the Raiders ?
10-In Utter Darkness. Can’t you imagine another glorious way for a specy to die ?

1 Like

Baby steps mon ami.

I mean I am usually the one defending WoL (with notable exceptions), so there will be lot of nodding.

1-yes
2-your native language explains the “an” heh. Yeah that fu^ker was scary.
3-I am still saying it’s Canon B. B as in better.
4-And he somehor remains relatively interesting character. What I liked about Valerian SC:Evolution was Horner pushing his buttons, that he is acting like his father.
5-If there is something that makes me happy about the HotS mission order, is that Old Warfield’s insult at Kerrigan on Char truly bites.

You are not even human anymore, bites more if you actually are somewhat human.
6-Tychus is imho the true protagonist of WoL, because he is the one that develops his character. It is his journey.
7-That was funny. Also Swann’s remark on Raynor’s “type”.
8-To be fair… I still thank my fortune I accidentally skipped it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great cutscene, but not knowing Tychus is a mole from the beginning made my first playthrough a lot better.
9-To add a serious example instead, Matt and Tychus debating “his catching up on current news”.
10-Gradius? Mar said something positive about Artifact arc, please don’t explode, Beacon of Positivity.

I could add the Vulture vs Diamondback banter, Stetmann’s lab notes, Raynor’s little chats with Tosh, the whole cutscene where they rescue Warfield or the intro to Graven Hill.

1 - A Better Tomorrow is a good cinematic. (despite not going anywhere)
2 - Replayability is decent due to the non-linear mission track. (despite breaking the storytelling)
3 - Tosh is a fun character. (despite being wasted)
4 - Tychus is a fun character. (despite his traitor story being f#$ked)
5 - I was invested in Matt’s rebellion missions. (despite not going anywhere)
6 - Unit variety was decent. (despite a lot of unit overlap)
7 - Mission gimmicks made for fun mission variety. (wish it had more macro “take over the map” kinda missions)
8 - Haven’s Fall is a great mission (should of been the canon choice)
9 - The return of some of the original voices was neat (why was Kerrigan’s not brought back?)
10 - Karass has a badass voice (should of had a bigger role)

Basically Metzen had a hard-on for Tricia Helfer and Battlestar Galactica.

Kind of triggered by Mar’s derogatory comment, but I’ll let it slide since I’m now the beacon of positivity.

1 Like

1-general consensus
2-probably the best replaybility, they should have made a canon mission order though
3-general consensus, and yes they should have built upon the eventual canon.
4-if they ditched the whole Kerrigan schtick and he was just a spy on RR and he wasn’t doing the Odin thing, he could have been the best thing
5-yup
6-it’s not as much the unit overlap as some units being one-trick ponies - Reapers, Diamondback, Hercules. But yes, there is major overlap on Firebat/Hellion/Vulture/Predator.
7- finally someone actually praising what is there and criticizing what isn’t.
8-general consensus, if JP reads it. Yes, general consensus.
9-still saying that Tricia Helfer delivered what was asked of her. If that direction was the correct one is a different question.
10-I could say that abou Mohandar, Urun, Selendis (and much later) Talis as well.

I am really sorry, I don’t have the energy for another thread right now. I did promise to answer you guys, so here I am.

I realize that the interpretation of game lore is a set of personal decisions. It’s just that between someone like Mengsk, who would do anything for personal power, and Kerri, who got a very bad hand dealt to her in life and ended up saving the universe, I don’t think she is so bad. At the same time, there’s literally no way to convince any of you of my opinion in this, and that’s normal for gaming.

By the way, Raynor forgives Kerri because he luffs her. Men will do anything for luff. Even if the lucky girl happens to be the leader of the ever-mutating bug monsters.

I am not sure what the point of the campaign is, then. If she has all the units, why go through the missions to get them and only be able to mutate them in Abathur’s workshop after a time, if they’re all already there?

Pretty sure they’d hunt her down, actually. Protoss during Kaldir severely disliked her for a number of past offenses.

Oh, I dunno if causing a huge fuss and destroying everything was really faster than sneaking in and planting some explosives. Or stealing a cloak suit and doing it then.

I am going to guess Valerian asked her for a delay, which she gave him, rather than expecting her not to enter the city at all, which she never promised to do.

Or, she simply wasn’t aware of the delays their efforts received until Valerian made her aware of them.

It does kinda feel like it’s hard to say anything definitive because so much of this thing is personal interpretation which is, well, personal and cannot be definitively countered by another person’s interpretation.

Yah, I remember that.

I like her more than Nova. Long live redheads. Well, or zergheads…

1. Fully upgraded battlecruisers.
  2. Pretty little Medics
  3. Campaign ending
  4. Cinematic at the end of Media Blitz
  5. Piercing the Shroud
  6. Nuke Noodles
  7. Tychus Findlay because it DID follow him home and he CAN keep it
  8. The Tal’Darim mothership crashing and burning. I built a whole fleet of battlecruisers to rid the universe of that annoying leader guy
  9. Non-canon Char mission. That Leviathan is an adorable pet and I want one rite naw
  10. In Utter Darkness finisher because “I love it when a plan comes together” is a quote lifted from the A-Team.

Motivation is not the only thing to measure evil.

“Road to hell is paved with good intentions.”

—Lot of people, during all of history—

Zagara doesn’t have the mutations and evolutions. As for units… Swarm Host is copied from Primals. We don’t see Infestors on Char (not even on Brutal if I am not mistaken). Questions here are Ultras and Mutas.

They could have been saving those for later, when you encounter heavier air-to-ground resistance and Hybrids since these strains are not as common. Definitely not Ultras.

Roaches and Hydras on the other hand are definitely common.

Pretty sure they figured out it was her anyway, they just had more imminent problems to deal with. Reclamation of Aiur and whatnot. That Kaldir force was an expedition.

You will not find a cloaked Ghost on Umoja and yes sh^tton of Zerglings is fast.

I do agree with your point about gates. Those parts could/should have been evacuated.

The Hydra is me and Marsaro. If we type at the same time we might say the exact same stuff as you might have noticed.

Tread lightly with fetishizing that hair colour, it has a history here :D.
Jokes aside, I hated Nova until NCO. After NCO and comic Nova: The Keep she’s become one of my favorite Terran characters and favorite Terran that isn’t dead or MIA (I am talking about Tosh, not Raynor). Ever since they started to focus on her being something more than just blonde Kerrigan, her character vastly improved.

Now that she isn’t brainwashed, her loyalty is a real virtue and her choice to remember all that shady stuff she does for greater good makes her an extremely likable character in my book.

Also she’s the only SC2 protagonist that actually suffers the least from “Player must win syndrome” throughout the whole campaign.

Raynor or Kerrigan don’t really suffer from tactical defeats and neither does Artanis after the First Invasion. Even though you win the mission, Nova loses on several occasions. Loses her teammates, who are brainwashed afterwards, Defenders are the ones that beat the Zerg in mission 2, the ones who take credit for defense of Tyrador against the Tal’Darim in mission 4. After mission 6 cliffhanger Valerian looks like hems stepping down. Davis escapes after mission 8…

All this in a minicampaign.

Meanwhile Raynor’s only defeats are sadly non-canonical Haven’s Fall aand loss of Tychus, who was already doomed and pretty much saved Kerrigan by leaving the choice to Raynor.

Kerrigan only lost Raynor temporarily off-screen. When I played it for the first, it bore very little emotional impact. When I played Haven’s Fall for the first time, the following cutscene with Hanson was creeping me out in the style of original Alien.

Artanis loses a lot initially. Zeratul, Khala, Golden Armada and his dream of reclaiming Aiur. He regains the latter two eventually, but still a great loss.

On the other hand he pretty much steamrolls through the rest of the campaign with the notable exception of using Shakuras as a bomb. But hey, as V put it, Nerazim are about the people, not a rock.

I wanted Gradius to say positive things about WoL, because he dislikes this expansion the most, unless we consider LotV Epilogue a separate entity from LotV.

1. I would say fully upgraded Hel’s Angels or Dusk Wings. Vikings with splash, your mutas in trash.
  2. Since I am into voices a lot, I must agree.
  3. Eh, nyeh. That’d be a long story. They could have executed it better.
    Tychus as a mole wasn’t the best written thing by a longshot. If Tychus was hell-bent on killong her, he would have done it. Raynor had no clue. Tychus gave him the choice.
  4. It felt good. But the infiltration that leads to the mission is … eh not well thought through.
  5. In terms of “horror” sequences, WoL beats other campaigns hands down. Between this mission, Haven’s Fall cutscene and Tychus checking on news, there is more anxiety than in the rest of the other campaigns combined.
  6. Ads were fun, but news could have been more serious.
  7. He’s fun.
  8. Second worst character? of the saga if we can call him character. Worst is Izsha. Nyon was so bad he was at least funny.
  9. You face it in All In anyway.
  10. Too bad it has no value, since Ouros pretty much made it up to pursue his plan of continuing the Cycle.

To a degree. Same way that reading a novel for English class and getting an F on your quiz is subjective/personal.

Well for one, you could have a valid argument if you wanted to convince us. We’re giving you multiple clear-cut examples of her heinous actions that endanger civilians and indiscriminate slaughter on a mass scale, and your main response is that she’s not a bad person because she was dealt a bad hand in life.

Plenty of people were dealt a bad hand in life. That doesn’t turn them into mass murderers and it doesn’t excuse their actions if they were, so I’m not sure where you’re going there.

You’re entitled to your opinion of course, just don’t expect it to hold weight as a valid stance/position on a forum without backing it up with more evidence.

Raynor’s a simp.

If they didn’t bother hunting her down after the swarm fractured, they’re not going to give 2 craps just because some random colony spotted her. They don’t seem to care.

Everyone agrees that Mengsk and the Conclave were scumbags though, even people in universe. Whereas you and other characters in SC2 end up defending Kerrigan.

She’s worse IMO. Kerrigan in BW wouldn’t have destroyed all of Shakuras and crippled the protoss war machine when she wanted to get the Matriarch. She just launched an attack on the city she was in and took her objective.

In HoTS she’s too cowardly to try assassination to kill Mengsk despite having her “humanity” back, so she takes command of the most dangerous biological weapon in the universe (zerg) and unleashes it on a giant swath of humanity. She’s actively crippling the Dominion war machine, crippling industrial planets, making sure they get screwed when Amon comes, even though her target is one man. But you’re saying her sights are set on a post-Arcturus humanity? Wtf?

Shakuras and Korhal are apples and pears imho. She needed Nerazim to kill the New OM.

Her eyes were set on Amon. There wasn’t any post-Arcturus humanity.

I mean to be fair, with the exception of helping Artanis with the Artifact Terrans really didn’t do much to stop Amon.

Alright, considering where you’re taking this, I am going to go somewhere else, permanently. Spending hours writing to get personal attacks in return is not my cup of tea.

Have fun rotting in your own special hate-filled world.

1 Like

I am still here though.

Yeah, its just Gradius. Don’t take it personally, he cant help himself.