Flux Vanes for Vorazun

Why doesn’t Vorazun have this upgrade?? For people who don’t know what it is, this upgrade exists on Versus mode and allows Void Rays move super fast so that Only Phoenix and Muta can catch up upgraded Void Rays. I was really excited when I saw the announcement Bliz revived this upgrade on versus, even it’s not strong anymore in current meta. Since Vorazun already has the one of the greatest mobility due to recall, I don’t think it hurts the balance too much. It’s just a fun purpose, cmon

7 Likes

Corruptors actually outrun flux vanes voids.
Would be nice for vorazun to have it tho. While we’re at it, can we make robo facility 150/100 like it is in versus?

3 Likes

They can really use extra mobility, their current 2.5 speed is just way too slow.

Sure you can use Dark Pylons to move around to far distances but quicker mobility during combat is also important.

Also I would like to play Corsair & Void Rays in Tandem

3 Likes

I would rather have them implied a special version of Cloak to Vora’s Void Rays. Most of the time they just can’t be benefited from the last talent at all.

Reasonable.

It also doesn’t break the general 2 research per unit rule in coop. Not that it is a set in stone rule but it currently only gets one. So why not.

1 Like

Never heard of that. Can you explain please?

Really? Because there are units that has 3~4 upgrades.
I didn’t know it was a rule.

Oh, I get it. So you mean Upgrades for Attack/Armour and not for research (which has 1~4).
Is that what you mean?

Yeap. I got confused between the two there.

It’s not a hard rule to follow, hence I tagged that word “general”.

The idea is that if you take a look at most units in coop (obviously hero units excluded), they’ll have 1-2 research available to them specifically. Some exceptions include:

• Havoc
  • Mutalisk
  • Baneling
  • Dark Templar
  • etc.

So basically it ranges from 1-3. There are definite some units that benefit from general research, things like Stim Pack, Advanced Optics (+1 range mech), Regenerative Bio-Plating, etc.

Since Voidrays have just the Prismatic Range, what OP is suggesting has room in a number of additional ways:

1. Fleet Beacon isn’t over-crowded with research, so you can actually add more.
  2. Movement for Voidray does benefit from a gameplay perspective to “catch up” with the rest of the air units in the roster.
  3. This doesn’t make them any stronger to have balance concerns.

One thing to note though, it will likely not happen. And I’m only basing that on the fact they can simply change the movement speed. :smiley:

Upgrades usually refer to the ones that grant to certain unit types (though I’m sure you didn’t mean it that way), and usually it involves levels.

Things from Forge, Engineering Bay, Evo Chamber, etc. are upgrades.

Only Protoss has up to 3 upgrades per unit. On the off chance you meant levels, only Tychus has up to 5 levels while everyone else capped at 3 levels.

Abathur’s Roaches have 4 researchable upgrades in Roach Den (or whatever it called).
Kerrigan’s/Zagara’s Zerglings have 4 researchable upgrades in Spawning Pool.
Dehaka’s Tyrranosor have 4 researchable upgrades in Darkrun’s Den.

I think dehakaburger wanted to say ‘3~4 research’. Not ‘3~4 upgrade’

1 Like

LMAO, you mention a general guide most units follow, and everyone gets so hung up on it. Even after mentioning that there are definite exceptions…

Relax xD. Thanks, I know Zergling gets 4, haha.

The point was that Voidray only has 1, so I don’t see why it can’t have this suggestion. Especially after I mentioned a number of things that would support it.

Of course, what am I thinking, this is the forum anyway. We either type an entire wall of perfectly articulated text or let it get taken the wrong way. SMH.

Well, its not really a problem, but why would you call something a “general guide” if its not at all.

Idea for Flux Veins is good, would be nice if Voids have the speed to catch up to Corsairs and Oracles.

Why are you so hung up on it? And how is it relevant to the discussion?

You asked and I explained. I don’t think I said that I work on the team and this is our rule. Most units have this tendency, and I don’t have a term for it. So I used a “general 2 research guide” phrase.

Is your purpose just to go, “aha! Gotcha!”? I am just not seeing why this level of scrutiny is warranted or relevant, emphasis on relevant.
——
I mean it is one thing if I gave misinformation and said, “it’s a rule, no unit gets more than 2 researches”. So a correction serves purpose for newer players.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.

I just felt that term you used is not very correct one and tried to find out, maybe I misunderstood or don’t know something.
Not really a big deal, sorry if it bothered you.

The reason why Vorazun doesn’t have Flux Vanes is because the upgrade was only reintroduced some time after the release of Legacy of the Void - it was originally in Wings of Liberty when Void Rays had to charge their beam up, but retained their speed, and it was removed because I think it proved to be too strong against Terran.

As for the suggestion in question, I would go as far as to suggest they have the upgrade from the off instead of requiring research - then again, with their range upgrade it might be too strong even for Co-op.

I call them all upgrades since anyone of them that gets done triggers the “upgrade complete” voiceover. I do distinguish them with “level upgrade” vs. “ability upgrade”.

Back in broodwar, we have ‘upgrade complete’ or ‘research complete’ to distinguish. For the zerg, it will be ‘evolution complete’ and ‘adaptation complete’.

The key differences seems to be
_ research unlock new function for units which come in the form of active or passive abilities, sometimes, it will be dealing more damage to a certain unit attribute (armoured / light, massive, psionic…) or thing that are much harder to code (range, health, energy…)
_ upgrades, however, only improve the effectiveness of units.

So research vs upgrade is functionality vs effectiveness

I don’t think it matters how anyone prefers to call it. It is fine as long as you know, but for more uniformal discussion, at least if we don’t confuse the terms.

And really this isn’t about all researches are upgrades. It’s more about should we add the Flux Vane research? I think it’s just easier to increase Voidray unit speed. It avoids a lot of work and serves the same purpose.

A button that temporarily make voidray invisible and move faster is probably better

1 Like

I very much like that idea.

Kinda like try Medivac boost but cooler.