Final mission heart of the swarm all achievements brutal

I am stuck on the last mission. I have been trying to beat this mission for two days to no avail.

Do you take the expansion asap?

Yeah, I remember I took everything calm and no rushes, except when defending raynor. I sent some impalers and spores and he was fine. Once you get your economy running you can run anything. I suggest Roaches (both variations work) because of the high amount of armored units and hydras for anti air. Keep remaxing your army after every push.

So my advice is just take it slow and secure every ground.

So i build drone immediately? When do you destroy the expansion? At 4:45 a bunch of marines and medics come to kill me.

Drone up. Use Kerrigan to advance with a few roach/hydra to help pushing. Dont forget to build some defenses, they can hold the enemy attack long enough for kerrigan to come back and wreck everything. Also, Lurker/Impaler does wonders holding bases with a few spores/spines.

IIRC what I did for this mission was mass mutas, Leviathan, and mend equipped on Kerrigan. Automated extractors (gas) ASAP, saturate minerals, use Kerrigan to push and defend between the two bases, and keep pumping out mutas to defend Raynor and destroy the 3 gates.

Almost anything can work, I’ve done this mission with about a dozen different army comps.

The one I used for all achievements at once most recently was hydra/ling/BL with Kerrigan rocking kinetic blast, psionic shift, spawn regenerative acid splitter banelings, and primal Zerg swarm ult.

The one I’ve found easiest for getting in there fast however has seemed to be just mass torresque ultra with assimilation blades. Just make a few hydras for AA and otherwise mass unkillable ultralisks.

I get stuck on the early game. Do I build another hatchery?

Yeah, you need production.

What’s the early defense and production. Build the hatchery asap. Then what units? Hydras or roaches early game? After the Hyperion arrives take expansion? On kerrigan I have the banelings, kinetic blast twin drones Leviathan chain reaction.

This should serve as a general guide on how to play the mission:

• Early drone up, while planting some spines. Build some hatcheries (2 or 3 would be good).
  • Once you notice you don’t need to build more defenses and you have plenty of drones, you can move to the right and take that base easily with Kerrigan and some forces (mainly Roaches, they are cheap and quite resistant early game, while Hydras are quite expensive and can die easily if not microed).
  • Once you take the base, drone up again, secure it with spines, spores and lurkers/impalers. That will stop almost anything they throw to it.
  • When you have plenty of income and a decent amount of hatcheries (5/6), try to push for the gates because in the long run these will help you a lot. Do 1 at a time.
  • Once the three gates are open, start pushing locations where buildings are placed. This will help reducing the pushes the enemy does.
  • Keep remaxing and pushing. The most efficient army I used in that mission was Roach/Hydra, Roaches in front and Hydras in the back dealing damage. Take another expansion when is safe enough.

Some pointers for all the mission:

• Kerrigan is strong on her own. She can wipe waves alone provided they aren’t very air focused.
  • When pushing for anything (base, objective, etc.) keep attention to the map to be aware of any attack. Plant tumors in advance to have a better map information.
  • Raynor can hold is own when dealing with the Dominion from the left side, covering that flank for you. However, he warns you when he needs help, so you can either protect him with stationary defense (spores/spines and impalers/lurkers using tumors to spread the creep) or moving your army from his southside to counterattack together the attack.
  • Take your time. There is no timer and the more time progresses, the stronger you become, and the more buildings you destroy, the enemy becomes weaker.

I’d prefer Mend. Lower damage output, but hey Immortality.

Which do I build first the roach den or Hydra?

Roach, because you need them sooner than the hydras.

send the roaches to blow up the expansion base after you get raynor? Have queens attack the production base north of the expansion? Im trying to crank out mutas asap. Theres a bunch of marines and medics that come out around 4:45.

It’s up to you on your zerg play style. If you like playing with ground units, be prepared to build queens and spread lots of creep around. If you find it tedious, simply build mutas.

Here’s a brutal guide done with mutas done with all 3 achievements. For the 10th anniversary achievement, use Kerrigan’s Leviathan + mutas to clear the gates on a different save. For the original 3 achievements, don’t have to break open the 3 gates. Simply amass 200/200 mutas, huge the corners of the map, and target fire on Odin before target fire on Mengsk’s gate.

I’m still struggling to take out the base to the right.

You could post a video showing where we can see how you struggle to help better.

To be honest, if you are having any trouble at all in the early game… you should probably use a different Kerrigan loadout. Until you go to break open Zagara’s reinforcement path, you shouldn’t even need your army.

Which base on the right? The expansion or the gate on the right? If the former, expand earlier using Kerrigan to push and defend while you get some defences in place. If the latter, fly your mutas and target the gate so Zagara’s troops can spawn and push through. Just aim for the objectives instead of destroying all units and structures.

Did you watch the video? It’s literally a walkthrough you can use. Follow the exact same build order and strategy and save scum every minute if you’re having a hard time.

Always focus on your economy first and foremost. Drone up, micro Kerrigan to handle any defense needed (she’s very powerful with the right loadout) and only build your army when you need to take an expansion or when you need to take an objective. If there’s ever downtime, you should be sending Kerrigan out by herself to pick off any units or buildings she can. Keep her active until you’re able to field a big force and replenish that force as things die, then it’s time to take objectives. Getting the timing right on when you can go may be a little tricky. It’s usually later than you think, but the nice thing about focusing on your economy first is that you can quickly build a lot of stuff when you need to push at the end.