Favourite Video Game Stories

Absolutely. The story is not good, it’s barely there, but mainly because it is an online driven game.

Fallout 76 should have never been released in the state it was in at the time. It’s as simple as that. Maybe it’s gotten better ever since, but it doesn’t deserve to be forgiven for that absolute trainwreck it started out as.

Alright, but if I like it I will continue playing it. Bethesda is the company I can not be mad at somehow. I just wanna throw my money at Todd.

Probably because there was a time where it actually seemed like Bethesda Softworks actually gave a **** about its customers, which has resulted in them having an extremely loyal fanbase that will eat up anything they dish out; no matter how god-awful it is.

They’ve all but destroyed their reputation the past year or two with how they’ve handled the release and ongoing development of Fallout 76. I had no real opinion of Bethesda Softworks up to this point, but I’ve lost all respect for them throughout the Fallout 76 era. Just read up on the Collector’s Edition canvas bag and Nuka Dark rum bottle controversies to catch up a bit on how scummy they’ve been.

You guys have to try the Half Life series. It has a very immersive, mysterious story. In some subtle ways it remembers me of Starcraft.

Literally my favorite games with the best stories that I’ve ever played are Starcraft (1&2), Warcraft 3, Half Life series and Portal (1&2).

Sadly these days you can hardly find a good game with a complex, intriguing story.

I personally love mystery, fantasy and realism. Perhaps that’s why I love these games so much. Perhaps it’s just a matter of preferance. But for me a game with a complex story, mysterious aspects, secrets and things you can hardly comprehend or you think you understand but you really don’t until only later in the story, are really some of the reasons that make me attracted to playing such games.

I’m not a heavy gamer but here’s some stories that stand out in no particular order:
StarCraft
Warcraft 3 (Metzen’s best work)
Universe at War Earth Assault
Half Life Series
Mass Effect
Witcher 3
Halo

StarCraft Campaigns:
Antioch Chronicles
The Shifters
Perfect Soldiers
And the countless others originally found on campaigncreations.

1 Like

I loved Half-Life, I thought it was fantastic from both a gameplay and story telling perspective.

It’s sequel, however, is one of the single most disappointing and overrated games I’ve ever played.

The gameplay was bland, basic, and the game’s AI was significantly worse than the original that came out six years earlier! The story was also extremely bare bones, and horribly contrived.

What the sequel had was excellent presentation of its game world (which is what I’ve found people are always talking about when they’re going on about how fantastic the game’s story was), and excellent tech with the Source Engine and Havok Physics.

Overall, Half-Life 2 was a tech demo, not a game. In fairness, it wasn’t an awful first person shooter, but it was hardly the second coming of Christ everyone made it out to be.

You talking about HL made me think about Valve which made me think of a particularly awesome game.

But look at me talking when there is science to do, when I look out there it makes me GLaD I’m not you. There is research to be done, experiments to run, on the people that are still alive.

3 Likes

Never played HL games, but as far as the memes go… I am pretty sure they can’t make HL3 at this point.

They would never be able to live up to expectations.

1 Like

I always thought Half-life 2’s story was kinda epic until someone pointed it out to me that it makes no sense whatsoever that Gordon Freeman is hailed as some glorious savior amongst the people. No one except perhaps the Black Mesa employees knew about what Gordon accomplished on Xen. He really shouldn’t have been the hero that everyone was waiting for.

1 Like

Gosh, such nostalgia. I loved Portal so so much, maybe even more than Half Life. I’ve only played Portal 1&2 once, I think I’m going to re-play them soon.

The only thing that I find “disappointing” in HL2 is that Valve didn’t give it a glorious ending like they did with Portal. They could have as well made another 3 episodes after Episode Two and give it a nice ending and everyone would have been happy. Maybe people wouldn’t have been so crazy asking for number 3.

Im glad to see Valve is getting back into properly making games again instead of just outsourcing it to the community and sticking their name on it. Been too much of that lately.

1 Like

True, I was pleasantly surprised when I heard about the announcement of Alyx. But then again it’s for VR, which is great, but I’m not into VR currently. And I certainly don’t plan into buying a VR headset just to play one game, but perhaps that’s just me, lol. :slight_smile:

If they decide to make a PC version as well, then I’m all excited for it

I still believe Valve just sees VR as the future of gaming, and is trying to take advantage of it before everyone else gets on board. Once they got a VR game out there that takes over the world, they will go back into hibernation for the next decade.

They need to get their act together. I don’t want more launchers splitting the market.

The fact that the Steam launcher has had no competition is what made Valve lazy in the first place. It’s a double-edged sword if you’re a fan of Valve games. What’s the point of making more video-games when you can just make a killing selling games on the Steam Store? Honestly, I probably would have done the same thing if I was in Valve’s position.

1 Like

I am not a fan of Valve games, just a fan of Steam.