Do folks just automatically pick VR legion

… or do you see what the enemy comp is first?

Zeratul’s VR legion used to get picked what seems like 99% of the time. It was used to clear expansion rocks (although they were only 500 mins back then, vs. 800 now. Both pre-mastery). It wasn’t until Telbrus (zealot) and Sedarth-something (Dark Archon) got buffed that folks used those more.

You’re right, there was a disproportionate amount of Rays initially. Even back then, Rays weren’t optimal for many comps (despite some people’s auto-choice to them haha).

For me nowadays, Zealots are more common as they compliment P3 better for faster push. Their damage output is better than Rays, as well as their sustain.

On some maps though (like LL) against Terran or Toss, Dark Archon can reduce that time better by their Mind Control, freeing up Zeratul from wasting time spinning and taking damage.

Ray seems less and less useful now. Even for breaking rocks I mean (I find zealots are faster).

Depends upon the map really. A lot of maps, using Void Rays is always a good option due to the objectives. Other maps, it’s better to wait and see the composition. I never pick Archons, though. It’s always either Void Rays or Zealots.

I feel Serdath is under rated. Granted, they aren’t much for expo clearing, but they are so tanky. They are superb for pushing. And as a bonus, they neutralize the higher tier units.

For expo clearing, my method works fine for me. With stalkers out and whittling the expo fairly early, the expo time difference is negligible in terms of my macro.

The majority of the time I pick Serdath so that I can drop them right in front of my army when charging into bases/large attack waves. My army barely loses a unit because the DAs pull all the aggro and soak a ton of damage. All while my 100% ranged army steamrolls from behind.

The only time I never pick Serdath is on DoN. There’s no real scary bases or attack waves so I opt for more DPS for clearing the buildings.

2 Likes

I use the dark archons if the enemy has big units to mind control, void rays if the enemy is mostly ground or the map benefits from flyover, and the zealots if there are lots of small units like marines or zerglings.

VRs are just generally good at everything and clear rocks quickly which is why they’re so good.

Zealots die too quickly and are only really effective on the two zombie maps which makes the the dark archons the only other good choice since they’re both tanky and have a lot of utility with their spells.

2 Likes

There is a Serdath legion opening you can do dominating Infested Banshees to clear both expansions described in detail on coop zaratul guide just to mention for the sake of it though I never got around to learning it!

For me not really. If I face heavy ground zerg or bane/scourge I go for Zealot. If I face air-toss/terran I get Dark Archons so I can get capital ships of my own. I take void rays against terran mech or immortal colossus. though admittedly void ray would not be a bad pick against the former.

Rule of cool. Optimal choice does depend on comp

I like the Zealot storm too