Custom Hotkey Profile Creation is broken

I updated Starcraft II today and logged in today for the first time in months, to discover that my custom hotkeys no longer existed. Furthermore, I cannot customize hotkeys at all. When I go to the Hotkey customization screen, I only see five profile options, Standard, Standard for Lefties, Grid, Grid for Lefties, and Classic. Creating a new profile informs me that my profile has been saved on battle.net and will be available from any machine, but this is clearly a lie, since it’s not even available from the machine I attempted to create the profile on. Furthermore, when I go to edit a profile (for example, by adding “,” as an alternate hotkey), I see that there is a “,” alternate. However, if I click “accept”, I am told that I must create a new profile (and asked if I want to do one), because the standard profile cannot be modified. If I click yes, I am asked to name it. I pick a random name, like “newprofile”, click create, and am again told that the profile has been created and is accessible from any device, but instead it has deleted all my changes to the profile and restored the original standard profile. What is going on?

Edit: I created a video of the troubles I’m having: StarCraft II - Trouble with Hotkey Profile Creation - YouTube

Edit 2: I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling SC II, and this did not fix the issue.

4 Likes

I am experiencing the same exact issue. An additional note: each time I log into SCII it acts like the first time I have ever opened it and plays the cinematic and, when I go to settings, it always tells me my “Graphic settings have been set to their default values for your video card. You should review them at this time.”

I have tried the Scan and Repair option and once it finishes I am given a pop up notice that “The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.”

Anyone know of a resolution to this? This inability to update hotkeys makes the game unplayable :frowning:

4 Likes

Note that other users seem to be reporting similar issues:

Other recent hotkey issues which may or may not be related:

I’ve heard that there’s supposed to be a hotkey file that can be edited for additional configuration. I can’t seem to find one (reddit claims StarCraft II\Accounts\some_numbers\Hotkeys, but there’s no Accounts folder on my install), but perhaps editing some file manually might allow custom hotkeys, maybe?

The weird thing is, the problem goes away, and then comes back, seemingly at random now.

i have same problem for 5 weeks… :angry:

I tryed to scan game files with SC2Switcher_x64.exe and it works :slight_smile:

Where is SC2Switcher_x64.exe, and how do you scan game files with it?

I discovered today that all of my in-progress campaign data is gone (maybe a result of reinstalling?), and furthermore that I cannot save any games! I get “save failed” on every autosave, and if I quit a campaign, my progress is not saved and I have to start over from scratch. (I have not tried manual saves, but I suspect they fail too.)

I had a problem with my custom hotkeys missing and Starcraft started up every time with a movie sequence and every time I went into Options it says it could not automatically determine optimal graphic settings. The problem was that I had recently changed the name of my User folder in Windows 10 which also deleted all the contents of my Documents folder at the same time. Luckily all my Documents were backed up in One Drive. So I copied all of files out of One Drive/ Documents folder into the new empty Documents folder on my computer and that restored my Starcraft hotkeys and settings back to how it was before. Honestly this is not normal for someone to want to change the name of their User folder (C:/Users/YOURNAME), but I wanted to because I didn’t want to dox my real name on streams. In case anyone else is having this problem, just check that there are is a “Starcraft II” folder in your Documents and your hotkeys are in there (C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\StarCraft II\Accounts#########\Hotkeys).

I don’t have these folders in my install either and when I search through the sequence mentioned…my Starcraft II folder comes up in Shared Users and it is also empty of folders.

I really want to build a hotkey profile!..and have my game stop booting from a new install every time. Cinema scene - graphics setting to default - resolution on default - and hotkey profiles don’t save :frowning:

Having seemingly the same problem but on Mac. I’m wondering if it’s related to the issue here:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/302174
did you PCers try that?

Same problem, on Mac. lost my hotkey profile and can’t create a new one or save graphics settings. Game is basically useless to me now.

3 Likes

i have the exact same problem now as well (as shown in the yt video in 1st post). played sc2 a week ago without any issues, now the game is unplayable to me.
is there any official reaction from blizzard?

/edit: tried scac&repair and uninstalling/reinstalling, no success

Had same problem: it appeared to be due to the fact, that Microsoft Defender prevents access to Documents folder by unknown applications, allowing SC2.exe to access the folder fixed the problem

1 Like

I’m facing the same issue. My custom hotkey profile is not loading and also the graphic settings are always reset

Thank you, I reseted the set up of windows defender and it worked.

Fix your game blizzard is this a joke? How in the world is this problem still going on???

2 Likes

All my hotkeys have been reset after the new patch. Please fix it!

It likely has to do with Windows Defender - that’s what fixed it for me. Check to see if Windows Defender is blocking the application - you may have to allow it through the firewall again. It’s a bit weird, but that was what was occuring for me. Specifically, you’ll probably need to check to see if Windows Defender is preventing sc2 from modifying documents/files on your PC.

2 Likes