Could the next game destroy the current governments please?

Stop acting like they were a unisociety of hedonists.

Where do you think Enlightmened scholars of Ethics drew their ideas from?

That whole deontology vs utilitarianism schtick.

I thought Medusa was turned by Aphrodite for bragging about how she was more beautiful than the goddess of beauty?

I mean if you go with Old Testament God or Allah…

Nah that was actually Andromeda’s mother about Andromeda. And it wasn’t Aphrodite, but Nereids.

That’s why there was a sea monster sent after Andromeda.

Then Perseus came with Gorgon head and said big fat no.

2 Likes

The original point was that many ancient works that we consider origin of Western theatre and literature or Shakespeare’s most famoush works are edgy in his view.

Which I find kind of… odd. To put it mildly.

Again, I would be happy to discuss an alternate setting with vicious alien zerg if anybody is interested. Probably would have to discuss it elsewhere than on these forums.

Dude. I’ll be honest.

Try to pull it of like a Roman.

Steal the sh^t you like, scratch the parts you don’t, make it better to your image and be happy.

Or just create the formula for concrete.

1 Like

Ok, im going to put this bluntly. No. Nobody is interested. That’s why we haven’t started talking about it the last dozen times you brought it up. We are here to talk about the content that actually exists. Just move on already dude.

3 Likes

I blame the Disneyfication of minds. Their works can be great, sure, but there are way too many of them and their hold on modern entertainment isn’t healthy at all. It’s especially glaring when you have people who are shocked by the violence in the fairy tales because they only knew about the Disney version, which isn’t necessarily bad mind you, just too prevalent…

1 Like

Yeah. Recently I was discussing that when Tarantino stops making movies or dies it will be a little cultural tragedy, whether you like his movies or not.

Because there will be no more movies like his anymore.

Another thought.

Historically (45 until late 90s) American productions that focused on older children were in general more violent than their European counterparts, but there was still less death in them.

One could think that it was because American civilians never truly suffered during the World War II when compared to Europeans or Asians.

It was acceptable to glorify violence, but they never showed the suffering it brings. Whether you are the (anti)hero or the (anti)villain.

I think looking for any sort of logical explanations for Hollywood and American media in general is an exercise in futility. 90% of American media is the way it is because a double handful of old white men decided “this is what we like, and anybody who doesn’t like it is wrong” when Hollywood started, and they have since worked very hard to ensure that their successors shared the same opinions.

That’s why, for example, women have a relatively hard time breaking into movies and TV. Theyre definitionally “other” and the Establishment doesn’t like that, but nowadays they cant say so openly, so they just sort of give it the bare minimum of attention and let it fail on its own because it wasn’t given any support.

I cannot do that. I have nowhere to move.

Handful of White Anglosaxon Protestant and Jewish American men, mind you.

(I don’t care about the religion, but their background)

I struggle to believe that you couldn’t find some creative works forum where like-minded individuals talk to each other about worldbuilding and other stuff like that.

Anglo-saxon isn’t really a meaningful distinction to an American. Were all just White here, almost none of us actually have any of the cultural baggage such distinctions would come with back in Europe.

1 Like

Technically the Swarm was never a gestalt in the same sense that the Geth were. In the Swarm, those units capable of their own intelligence had it. The hivemind existed not to give the zerg consciousness, but to bind them in a direct hierarchy of wills. So lesser sentients were bound to the will of greater sentients, going all the way up to the top. Whereas the Geth are not capable of sentience without combining themselves into greater units. All Geth programs are equal in terms of decision making and singular capability. They make choices collectively.

In that way, the Geth and Swarm have never really been similar. The Swarm always had a hierarchy and individual egos, even in SC1. Those egos were just directly bound to the will of the hierarchy. The Geth do not operate in the same way.

Me and Phlynch on the same page. Bruh that’s a little creepy how we jumped on the same point.

Yes they are. The Overmind is defined as the collective consciousness of the swarm in the manual. It considers the Cerebrates a part of him.

If you eliminated the swarm, there would be no Overmind.

And we consider the distinction between white, hispanic, asian and black ridiculous.

I would always feel closer to a random Vietnamese guy from Czech republif than to a random white American.

World is funny.

BACK to the original off-topic.

Ancient Greeks and Old Willy the Bard are considered edgy by Phlynch.

So in other words you are saying the Overmind is a gestalt entity, but the Swarm itself is not.

Blizzard certainly doesn’t show that in execution. If the Overmind really was just an extension of the swarm and not a consciousness of its own, then you would not have been able to kill it without killing the entire swarm.
At best, this is a case of Blizzard’s classic “telling but not showing.”

Contrast this with the Geth, who are in their entirety from every angle a gestalt entity. They are collective and non-hierarchical. Their consciousness is the product of the collective without exception. In the case of the zerg, even if the manual was not contradictory with the execution, only the Overmind aspect of the swarm meets that description. And even so, it does not remove the fact that individual non-collective egos exist within the Swarm’s fold. This is different from the Geth.

I think the Tyranid swarm would be a more accurate comparison. The Geth are more like the Borg pre-First Contact.

But if you eliminate the Overmind, the Swarm remains.

1 Like