Co-Op Mutation #299: Kill Bot Wars

As if Bel’Shir didn’t have enough problems, it has now been invaded by vicious kill bots who are bent on destroying your armies. Your devastated forces are also feeling especially sentimental about those who fall. Stay focused on the harvesters to prevail.

Kill Bots - Invincible Kill Bots attack your forces until they hit their predetermined kill limit and shut down.
Moment of Silence - When a Heroic enemy unit dies all player units around it will reflect on their sins, unable to attack or use their abilities.

Rating:

Video Replays on Brutal difficulty:

Player 1                                   Player 2
[CtG Merchant of Death] [Baumanmarketing Scourge Queen]
[CtG Network Administrator] Aommaster Lord of the Horde
[CtG Folly of Man] Nostrebor Tunneling Horror
[CtG Best Buddy] 성준 Lord of the Horde

[ [Reddit Post Link]](Will add later)

Notes:

• The [Kill Bots] spawn from any enemy building. Clearing the whole map will stop the Bot spawns.
  • Moment of Silence has 9 range. [Units affected] can move, but not attack.
  • Units affected by Moment of Silence can still apparently move, but not attack.
  • The Kill Bots originally appeared in “Violent Night” as Amon’s gift.
  • The more expensive each of your units are, the worse deal you get. If you are Nova, for example, it might be worthwhile to produce spare SCVs to feed the bots, if your ally is unable to help.
  • Apparently, Banelings do not count toward the bots’ kills, but Railgun Turrets do.
  • Conversely, Stukov will probably not notice that there’s even a mutator active.

Commander of the Week: Commander of the week [Kill Bot Wars] - Online Poll - StrawPoll.com
Mutation difficulty: https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxpYCsNauVzSu34lZ3_kIfomdSfAMuN06j
Do you like this mutation? https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxcZj_c0-j4UTcEu9SLwsYjJdEkvmaLDAm

Commander of the Week winner of last week:

Links:
Weekly Mutation Database
Maguro’s Mutation List
starcraft2coop.com

4 Likes

64 n this week 2nd.

If you push all structures, you will not see Kill Bots

1st clear Stukov P3+Nova P1

Mutation (Kill Bot Wars) play list

When mutator heavily favours Stukov :stuck_out_tongue:

#64 Kill Bot Wars – 4/10 SOLO CLEAR (what a crappy mutator)

Mutators: Kill Bots, Moment of Silence

https ://ibb.co/VDq7M01

Kill bots is an example of a terribly designed mutator. Zagara/Stukov? Free win. Zerg commander? Doable, but gotta work for it. Protoss/Terran commander? Go to hell!

Let’s be honest; it’ll be Zagara/Stukov duos all week. If you’re planning to power level a commander, then have your Zagara/Stukov ally carry you (with ease). If you want to contribute, then kill all buildings on the map as quickly as possible. Zerg commanders can feed the bots with evolution chambers. Terran and Protoss… use workers. Make an extra CC/Nexus for sacrificial worker production.

Remember to keep your army away from kill bots as they’re about to die and use sacrificial units to finish off hybrids in order to avoid moment of silence. Also, have your sacrificial units hold position so that the bots can kill them more quickly.

As a side note, I got a taste of the speedrunner life. And I hated it. Everything has to be planned out perfectly. Intense concentration is required. And one mistake (or bad luck) ruins the run. That’s what happened when I tried Dehaka and Zeratul. Extra-large tomato farm.

Failures [and why I failed]

Abathur (p0) [kept dying at the third set of bots; super good control required]

Dehaka (p0, p1, p2, p3) [got to about 20 min (with p0), but couldn’t full clear by then]

Tychus (p2) [couldn’t clear buildings fast enough]

Zeratul (p0, p3) [couldn’t clear buildings fast enough]

Mengsk (p1, p3) [couldn’t clear buildings fast enough]

Everyone else [LUL no thanks]

Successes [and key points]

Zagara (p1) Starcraft 2 Co-op Mutation #64: Kill Bot Wars - Zagara Solo (p1) [=Brutal+2] - YouTube [does this need an explanation?]

Stukov (p3) Starcraft 2 Co-op Mutation #64: Kill Bot Wars - Stukov Solo (p3) [=Brutal+2] - YouTube [does this need an explanation?]

Kerrigan (p0) Starcraft 2 Co-op Mutation #64: Kill Bot Wars - Kerrigan Solo (p0) [=Brutal+2] - YouTube [use all gas on omega wurms and minerals on lings/evolution chambers]

Stetmann (p2) Starcraft 2 Co-op Mutation #64: Kill Bot Wars - Stetmann Solo (p2) [=Brutal+2] - YouTube [Super Gary kills all waves, so just use lings to feed bots]

Stetmann (p1) Starcraft 2 Co-op Mutation #64: Kill Bot Wars - Stetmann Solo (p1) [=Brutal+2] - YouTube [mass infestors; spend minerals on evos and lings]

Questions about any of these runs are welcome.

4 Likes

1st clear. Stuov P3 and Zagara P2.

I guess I will :cheese: it with Zagara or Stukov, while praying to not run into one of the worst mutators that can be combined with Kill Bots: an Artanis ally.

1 Like

I love the Stukov tip in the original post because I played the mutation a couple times and over half of the Stukovs I got never made Bunkers or more than one Barracks. Probably should clarify that you need to make Bunkers for feed, not just choose Stukov = ignore mutators. So far I’ve only found one Stukov who understood to mass Bunkers.

Shout outs to the people who choose Brutal and then just build static defense for the main bases. You the real ones.

Surprisingly I couldn’t find any Zagaras in queue. Had a couple of Novas though, including a level 1 p0 Nova.

1 Like

Did it in Hard with Stukov P3 to make Amon lactose intolerant.

My ally was a Raynor that maybe wanted to go mass BC and failed at it (he never had a big army, maybe he slept 3/4 of the time or something?), but the good news is that he was attracting Amon army and killbots a lot, so he was convenient as a reverse-scarecrow.
It taught me Broodlings from Infest Structure are valid to increase the counter of killbots (it saved his base at least 4 or 5 times).

Nothing special to say, 3 barracks at first to send a minimum of units against the attack waves, then bunkers made over time would ensure a permanent supply of anti-Amon waves. I made a few missile turrets against DT and units hidden by arbiters in the endgame, but most ended up useless.

Got both bonuses, wasted some time to properly kill the structures near the first one to not get surprise killbots later, luckily only 1 or 2 late attack waves came from here (thank you bad ally that at least is a good Amon magnet), so it was quite calm.
Only lost 1 bot because at some point I was still expecting my ally to go mass marines…dreams don’t come true.

I saw that Moment of Silence would prevent the Aleksander to throw eggs, but I didn’t pay attention if it would kill or release air units it is mind controlling.

I did this as Zagara P1 with a P3 Stukov Ally, I…was preoccupied with the 2nd bonus, and killing structures to notice that we lost a bot, and then on the last wave, we lost another one, RIP, me…
The 2nd time, with a friend who also went P3 Stukov, the random Stukov already went in another game, we didn’t do the 2nd bonus, I activated it too early…but I cleared out the enemy base, and then my ally put bunkers in Amon’s base, lol! Needless to say, we cleared the entire map.

I sent a pack of banelings to check this–just because I was curious, and they DO count toward the bots’ kills, I double checked the replay, and the kill bots counted my banelings as they killed them…

Since Abathur Swarm Host’s Locusts have high health with enough essence, the bots had a hard time killing them, so we ended with like 10-12 bots at the same time until we destroyed all the buildings. Rather annoying to be honest with all the pings notifying a unit being attacked.

Got the standard Stukov (me) and Zagara (ally). I was P3, ally was whichever prestige has no Zagara (P1?)

Not an issue at all. The only extra micro I needed was to not let my infested walk past the Killbots. The bots would shoot a target, the target would walk out of range, so the bot had to pick a new target… over and over. Thus it wouldn’t get any kils. So, I just grabbed small handfuls of infested and microed them to the bots.

Both bonuses, nice and laid back.

1 Like

Stukov P3 really is the one here lol. I’ve gotten so many Bunkerlisks that my infested numbered 3000+, and my P2 Artanis ally wasn’t much of a hindrance with their Guardian Shell, either. They also picked up really quickly on my Kill Bot strategy, so instead focused on regular waves. Regarding the bonuses, they’re easy enough to get once you sick the Aleksander on them + its cooldown mastery. All in a days’ work, really. :3

Edit: for sake of not being too complacent, I was nuked a couple times, so remember to bring detection lol.

First game was a loss… Zagara P1 + Kerrigan P2
I was the designated feeder, although my ally would throw in her Raptor Zerglings as needed. If you get complacent, harvesting bots do die if you’re not positioned properly, of which 2 of them did

2nd game was a win… Zagara P1 + Karax P1
Ally set up tower lines at choke points between spawn points and where the harvesting bots travel along. I feed Lings and Banalings whenever I could. In moments I couldn’t make it, he fed Probes (even though it’s not ideal). Karax towers are hardy enough to take a beating from kill bots, so that stalled long enough for me to get there. However, learning from last game, I use 2 control groups to quickly divide my forces.

EDIT: harvesting added in

:exploding_head: I guess you forgot the important keyword to get “harvesting” bots…at least that seems to improve the meaning, unless you were trying to say yet another thing.

1 Like

I sent a pack of banelings to check this–just because I was curious, and they DO count toward the bots’ kills, I double checked the replay, and the kill bots counted my banelings as they killed them…

A lot of the post (or all of it?) is just copied from the previous time the mutation happened, some of these tips are outdated. Yes banes count to feed kill bots now.

1 Like

Bots don’t kill Raynor spider mines

didn’t think about that, lol. Thanks for pointing it out.

P3 Stukov with a P1 Tychus ally. Felt slightly pressured in the early game as we had to complete on our first try and my macro was pretty poor as I hadn’t played much Stukov lately but proved to be straight forward and we cleared the buildings before the last wave.

Stukov micro: moving infested near killbots. I built libs to deal with Shadow Tech air comp but I should have built diamondbacks instead.

shadow tech has very little splash damage, so the counter to the air is more bunkers

1 Like

Well yeah I just ended up essentially maxed out on Bunkers which worked fine but I like to build a strike force as Stukov P3 of some tech unit just for something to do and to spend some gas on.