Co-Op Mutation #259: Breath of Destruction

Exposure to terrazine can result in violent outburts, and Amon’s forces are no exception. The Dark God’s influence over them has been intensified by the gas, increasing their speed and aggression. They will stop at nothing to destroy you. Be sure to destroy them first.

Speed Freaks - Enemy units have double their normal movement speed.
Aggressive Deployment - Additional enemy units are periodically deployed onto the battlefield.
Avenger - Enemy units gain increased attack speed, armor, and life when nearby enemy units die.

Rating:

Video Replays on Brutal difficulty:

Player 1                                   Player 2
[CtG Keeper of Shadows] [Ziemson Rough Rider]
[CtG Primal Contender] Spohky Dominion Ghost
[CtG Technical Recruiter] Ancalagon Desolate Queen
[CtG Evolution Master] Novice Lone Puppy

[Reddit Post Link]

Notes:

• Starting at 4:55, Aggressive Deployment sends a full wave of enemies every 130 seconds on Brutal.
  • Avenger buffs units and can stack up to ten times, each with each increasing HP and shields by 10%, life regen by 1 per second, armor by 0.3, and attack and movement speed by 10%.
  • Mind-controlling/Reclaiming Avenger-buffed enemy units will cause them to lose the Avenger buff.
  • Units that get the Avenger buff also grow in size to give players a visual indicator.
  • Sniping the enemy’s strongest units first will make the rest of the force relatively less strong when Avenger activates.
  • Speed Freaks increases all unit speeds to a minimum of 5.5.
  • If both players have only air units that consume supply flying deep over unpathable terrain, the Aggressive Deployment will not be able to locate a pathable spot for the drops, and would effectively be cancelled. The players can then complete the rest of the map using their hero units and top bars without having to deal with extra waves.

Commander of the Week: Commander of the week [Breath of Destruction] - Online Poll - StrawPoll.com
Mutation difficulty: https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugx53ZmCK4cD97tQj6p4AaABCQ
Do you like this mutation? https://www.youtube.com/post/UgxS1E5GT8iABu7GoJV4AaABCQ

Commander of the Week winner of last week:

Links:
Weekly Mutation Database
Maguro’s Mutation List
starcraft2coop.com

3 Likes

"If both players have only air units that consume supply flying deep over unpathable terrain, the Aggressive Deployment will not be able to locate a pathable spot for the drops, and would effectively be cancelled. "

Does parking an Observer there work?

Observer doesn’t work cause the units must have an attack, also I wouldn’t recommend this strategy cause heroes alone often can’t deal with avenger waves.

#24, #93 and this week… 3rd…
this week 1st clear Karax P3+Tychus P1

Mutation (Breath Of Destruction) play list.

Just play this normally and you shouldn’t have much issue. Watch for avenger mostly, so don’t get in over your head.

2 Likes

1st clear. Abathur P0 and Vorazun P0 vs Sky Toss. Mass Devourers.

Artanis should do nicely, guardian shell is OP, Swann P1 so that you can slow enemy waves, Abathur with his toxic nest dealing with enemies without even having to fight them. :muscle: :muscle: :muscle:

Make sure you are fighting a ground toss composition, or at least not swarmy zerg, because zerglings feed avenger at a horrifying rate. :cold_face: :cold_face: :cold_face:

3 Likes

This would be rough with < level-10 commander

1 Like

Pretty straightforward, went in with Alarak p3 (because it’s fun and I haven’t played him in a while), with Karax p2 ally. Did bonuses as well.

Ya, this one is pretty cancer.

Played with artanis p0, random ally P2 stetmann. Enemy terran classic mech, just keep spam zealot and dragoon until broke my minerals bank. Got both bonuses as well.

This mutation was pretty fun unlike the last two previous mutations which were annoying.

5 Likes

Zagara P1 with Alarak P3 without mothership in Normal.

This felt relatively…casual.
My only issue is that the very last wave managed to destroy all my anti-air, so I had to ping my ally so he could take out the enemy busy to take down one by one my ground units (kept them very busy lol).

Aggressive Deployment felt like it spawned only 2 or 3 units every time at my army location, so a lot of those must have gone utterly unnoticed by me as they insta-exploded on my banelings and scourges :smiley_cat:

Zagara army ended up having a decent speed to catch up with the Speed Freaks.
My ally could have use his mamaship to more easily warp around, would have made him much stronger.

Near the end, I started trolling by planting hatcheries to build a bunch of spore crawlers (enemy air comp), but the last attempt failed miserably (drones just getting shot 1 by 1).

edit: oh right, I almost forgot: Where are my chocolate eggs???

After beating this brutation on both NA and EU accounts, I have main “pro tips”:

1. Pick commander with insane mobility (Artanis, Abathur, Tychus), because waves come at you so fast you gonna lose if you cannot just drop 15 dragoons anywhere with vision or use medivac as Tychus to dispatch all the double waves.
    :running_man: :running_woman: :running_man: :running_woman: :running_man: :running_woman:
  2. ALWAYS STARE AT THE MINIMAP, or you’ll lose some bots because of how quickly enemy waves move. Pretend it’s vertigo and you should be fine.
    :eye: :eye: :eye:
5 Likes

You should definitely level up your chosen commander first, otherwise you will end up hamstringing your ally.
Queuing up for mutation without being level 15 will annoy a fair number of people, so don’t do that.

4 Likes

Unlike some people, i only play weekly muta if i know i can do at least 50% of the work or more.

2 Likes

Took me 2 tries to beat.

The first one was against the bad composition where Vipers have literally disabled everything from my ground forces and lead to heavy casualties, especially when they were spawned beside my armies. With their insane movements, we lost the 2 vessels as we were unable to defend them in the final phase of the map. I was using Nova - Soldier of Fortune that focusing on ground units.

On the second try, I use P3 Kerrigan and literally spamming Omega Worm everywhere just to buy time so my forces can kill them before they reached the Vessels. This time, I left some ground forces outside the Omega just to bait the Aggressive Deployment. My ally is P1 Tychus.

1-shot it, 3 times, diff servers; 2 of which were on random queue. As Abathur P0 (lvl 350+ Alarak ally), Zera P0 (lvl 56 Zagara P1 ally), Stukov P3 (lvl 1000 Zagara P1 ally). On one run, lost a bot but got both bonuses. Scourge need to be fed air units to keep them away from the bots.

Two of those runs (not with lvl 56 Zag ally) were full clears. Definitely couldn’t do an fc in the previous MO mutation (transmutation, alien incubation, mutually assured destruction).

Yes, finally! Quite likely to redo this one a few times with diff COs/Presitges.

2 Likes

YMMV. Good people are much better at holding their own. Some COs are much better equipped to handle Mutations. Some COs reach notable power spikes earlier than others. Some people are faar better at certain COs that they’d fare much better at lower levels vs. if they choose others at mastery that they’re just gawd awful at.

If nothing else, “NORMtation” (Mutation at Normal) should be doable for most COs who are still lv5 to lv10. This has been nice to fast track through releveling up COs now that prestige is in play. If not that, than Casual Mutation. It’s only a bounty of 25K XP, but I’ll take it! Game play speed is slower, but I’d consider it as a change of pace.

Beat it first try with my P1 Karax and my ally P1 Zagara. I secured all of the paths that the enemies used so they can’t get to Bots while my partner go on carnage mode.

1 Like