Co-Op Mutation #248: Boom Town

Moebius Corps have tapped into their stockpile of nuclear warheads and are shipping them across Tarsonis. The remainder are reserved for your destruction. With cargo this volatile, every stray bullet presents an incredible risk. Don’t be surprised if your forces flinch at the first sign of combat.

Going Nuclear - Nukes are launched at random throughout the map.
Self Destruction - Enemy units explode and deal damage to friendly player units upon death.
Fear - Player units will occasionally stop attacking and run around in fear upon taking damage.

Rating:

Video Replays on Brutal difficulty:

Player 1                                   Player 2
[CtG Lord of the Horde] Piky Highlord of the Tal’darim
[CtG Solarite Celestial] Ancalagon Chief Engineer
[CtG Toxic Tyrant] Ancalagon Desolate Queen
[CtG Hero Genius (Henius)] Galle Hierarch of the Daelaam

[ [Reddit Post Link]](Will add later)

Notes:

• The warning spot for nukes is the large targeting area. However, you only have 5 Blizzard seconds of warning before the nuke hits.
  • There is no indication on the minimap, nor is there a “Nuclear Launch Detected” sound, so babysitting your units is advisable.
  • Most of the bases are safe from the nuclear strikes. However, the edges of the minerals, ramps, some geysers, and cliffs can still be hit by the AOE.
  • The nuclear strikes begin at the very start of the map. They seem to be placed randomly, but there are only about 1 or 2 nuclear strikes at a time, even on Brutal.
  • The fear effect lasts for 10 Blizzard seconds, which is enough to get hit by a nuke.
  • Static defenses do not get affected by Fear, but they do get 1-shot by nukes. Also, it seems that Karax cannot build enough cannons on the “safe zones” to eliminate the trains. You need other things.
  • Dark Pylon/Fenix/Mothership Recall, Gryffin Airlift, Omega Worms, Unity Barrier, and Guardian Shell are SO USEFUL vs nukes and self destruction.

Commander of the Week: https://www.strawpoll.me/24800461
Mutation difficulty: https://www.strawpoll.me/24800509
Do you like this mutation? https://www.strawpoll.me/24800580

Links:
Weekly Mutation Database
Maguro’s Mutation List
starcraft2coop.com

6 Likes

going to try to beat this one with P2 Zagara, or maybe P1 Zagara with the mastery exploit…but will mass Aberrations, haha.

I wasn’t able to test whether mind controlled units [Vorazun, Karax, Stukov, Tychus, Zeratul] are still immune to nukes. Would like it if someone here tested and reported on it.

No, they are not. Tested on Vega only though.

#13, #82 and this week… 3rd…
1st clear Raynor P3+Swann
Mutation (Boom Town) play list.

1 Like

You know what’s immune to nukes, self destruct, and fear? Spear of Adun :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Does Self-Destruction damage Air units too? Doesn’t say on Maguro’s page or on sc2coop. (Compared to Fireworks, for example, which specifically says “Fireworks damage structures and both ground and air units…”.)

1 Like

I thought was mentioned there?

|SELF DESTRUCTION|
|Enemy units explode and deal damage to nearby player units upon death.|
|* Structures don’t explode.

• There is 2s delay between unit’s death and the explosion.
  • The explosion deals 20 damage in 1.5 radius and hits both ground and air.
  • For units with supply cost >2, explosion is executed (supply_cost +1) times.|
1 Like

Yup, the maguro description does have that, didn’t read it fully.

Maguro: Mutators

• The explosion deals 20 damage in 1.5 radius and hits both ground and air.

And just found out the hard way by losing tons of mutas on top of the train. At least they’re easier to dodge since the explosion occurs where the enemy unit is, and not targeted at friendly units like for Fireworks.

Side note: why do people hate Fatal Attraction more than Fear? Fatal Attraction lasts for far less time (max 1s) than Fear (10s). Is it FA’s range (9u) ? Or that FA always occurs for all units and Fear might occur for some units?

Fatal attraction always happens and some commanders don’t have much to do about it, and with lots of enemies that 1s stun is basically permanent. Fear requires you to get hit which is a big requirement when the usual strategy to deal with enemies is to delete everything before they can do anything.

1 Like

Cleared it with P0 Artanis and P3 Stukov ally.

Cleared the bonus trains too.

Easy mutation.

1 Like

Played with Tychus P1, with Artanis army that brought Hard to the game (ouch).

Didn’t try P2 this time because I could already imagine the outlaws with lack of babysitting using Fear to run around in the middle of explosions and nukes out of sight :roll_eyes:

Brood lords were annoying, it felt like there was the mutator that make every enemy produce broodlings upon death, but eventually I pulled through.
I wished my ally would have created defenses, but maybe with Nukes it would not have worked that well. He still got his army nuked several times, though some Guardian Shells saved him, but it confirmed to me I made the right choice with an army that requires low micro and low base handling.

Kerrigan & ultras immune to fear.

When torrasques get nuked
Kerrigan: Oh No!
Kerrigan: Anyway…

Took my usual brutation counter Tychus P3, since fear is less likely to trigger with high hp units… i just rushed the armor upgrades. Ended up with an Artanis P0 ally which made this brutation trivial.

Odin is :heart: just drop that beautiful machine in front of you and your ally and watch Amon’s forces crumble.

Did it as P3 Stukov with a P1 Mengsk ally. I massed bunkers, ally massed 20 ESOs.

The 1st train was a bit tricky due to low DSP that early, but otherwise, it was a cake walk. Got both bonuses.

Did anyone try P1 karax yet? Or are the nukes so often unity barrier doesn’t reset in time?

ok…so I beat it on normal with P1 Zagara, then I tried it on hard, ally wasn’t sure we could beat it on hard, so I got my mastery points on normal, did the mastery exploit on hard, and got to level 2, lol.

The Splitter strain banes blows up the trains like it’s paper. I got my army nuked, they were aberrations and banes, so I just had a bunch of banes and ‘little banes’, Zagara just doesn’t care, lol!

it was a marine/battlecruiser comp, ally took care of the battlecruisers, and we got both bonuses, almost lost one train, my aberrations and banes kept getting ‘feared’ because of siege shots, though…and we lost our expo at the end, but pulled through.

Place monoliths a space or two away from the ledge of your main, and they should be safe from nukes.

Yep. Karax P1 is ez mode. You can even place Monoliths on the edge of the main & expo. Nukes will hit them, but it never did damage other than triggering unity barrier. I also added shield batteries just to be safe, but I never saw them do anything. I went AFK for last 3 trains because my kid needed something, came back and saw we won. Helped that my partner was Nova + liberators to get the bonus! And we had ez protoss ground comp.

1 Like

Whenever I see Nukes I think Artanis and sure enough 1 shot this week. Was nice to have a P3 Karax ally, Repair Beam and Unity barrier are great additions to Shield Overcharge and Guardian Shell.

1 Like