Co-Op Mutation #213: Of Mines And Miners

In a rush to flee the planet, the Kel-Morians left their defense systems unguarded. This allowed the enemy to access the Kel Morians’ missile systems and activate their mine fields. You will need to fend off the defenses and the infested to help the miners evacuate.

Mag-Nificent - Mag Mines are deployed throughout the map at the start of the mission.
Minesweeper - Groups of Widow Mines and Spider Mines are buried throughout the battlefield.
Missile Command - Endless missile bombardments target your structures and must be shot down throughout the mission.

Rating:

Video Replays on Brutal difficulty:

Player 1                                   Player 2
[CtG (Stukov)] DEATHwish (Dehaka)
[CtG (Nova)] Ancalagon (Arcturus)
[CtG (Vorazun)] Ancalagon (Tychus)
[CtG (Stetmann)] DEATHwish (Fenix)
[CtG (Han and Horner)] Mazso (Karax)
[CtG (Artanis)] Iswald (Abathur)

[Reddit Post Link]

Notes:

• Large groups of Widow Mines and Spidermines are spawned on the map. Players can destroy these to clear them out.
  • Widow Mines have 180HP, deal 250 damage each with 5 range, and replenish their charges.
  • Spidermines have 25HP, deal 250 damage each, and do not respawn upon detonation.
  • Missiles spawn at the very start, [from the edges of the map]. They slowly fly to the players’ bases.
  • Missiles [deal 100 damage] at first. However, the size increases, and eventually they launch nuke missiles toward players’ bases. Those ones come with a warning sound.
  • Players can shoot down the missiles [10 HP], but sometimes they launch [Point Defense Drones], so shoot those down first. Also, players cannot stop them from spawning.
  • Mag Mines do not respawn upon detonation.
  • Running/flying a few units first to trigger the Mag Mines in an enemy base will make it safer for the rest of your units. Zerglings, Phoenixes are effective for this. Han and Horner’s precision strikes are spectacular for this job.

Commander of the Week: https://www.strawpoll.me/19465906
Mutation difficulty: https://www.strawpoll.me/19465907
Do you like this mutation? https://www.strawpoll.me/19465908

Commander of the Week winner of last week:

Links:
Weekly Mutation Database
Maguro’s Mutation List
starcraft2coop.com

9 Likes

this week… NOVA’s week~

#213 Mutation (Of Mines and Miners) play list.

2 Likes

These mutations on this map. Nova seems like a no brainer, Tychus too most likely.

1 Like

Yay, I have a chance to use Karax in a Brutation again.

Edit: Got paired with a Nova, did well. Only lost one shuttle due to mag mines. Lost a number of units because dear God Karax units are slow. Also did my duties of orbital striking nukes.

Tychus gets wrecked by missile command.

This looks like a really tough combo. Can’t dodge the mag mines because of the spider and widow mines, can’t go off the main base until you have detection and therefore can’t get to the shuttles. I don’t look forward to this at all.

1 Like

Actually I’ve found Tychus to be quite good vs Missile Command because his turrets are not affected by Point Defense Drone like others are.

Of course spending resources on the turrets means less Gear and Upgrades for Tychus’ crew but that’s normal for all CO’s with this mutation.

2 Likes

Ever try his turrets? They are like static marines that can hit ground and air, bypassing PDD.

1 Like

Tychus can get a fixer as second outlaw.

And you can dodge with Medivac pickups.

1 Like

Tychus is the champ of this week.

Auto turret bypass point defense drone and they deal instant damage so they are even better than missile turret or photon cannon.

Probably won’t bother building any fixer, Sirius turrets can tank and detect all in 1 package.

It’s kind of unfair that Mines and Magmines target launch ship when it becomes active.

I played Dehaka with Zagara and we almost lost a ship when it turned active.

It look like Tychus or Nova would be a suitable commander for this. They both just need to clear out the minefield while the partner can set up defense to protect the ship.

Yeah, had a few runs with Vorazun, didn’t clear enough of the mag-mines with oracles so kept losing my void rays. DT’s could clear the mines with Shadow Fury but if there’s a detector nearby, lose a bunch of DT’s in one go.

Did a dry-run (tried on Hard and failed) with Tychus. Sirius’ turrets are detectors, and don’t trigger the spider-mines and widow-mines. Will do Nikara as my third, and for detection, otherwise game over if Sirius dies. If I didn’t need detection so badly, Blaze makes for a good 2nd/3rd outlaw; but he’s 4th on this one. Going for the outlaw availability mastery. Need them for their abilities more than increased fire power.

And his turrets are hitscan so two per CC (mine and ally’s) should be enough. Maybe add a 3rd for each as the game progresses.

Another one of those “need to memorize the mission to win” scenarios. Ugh.

1 Like

Tychus turrets get 1 shot by the death effect of the fat missiles, I heard if you place many of them together they can also shoot down the mini missiles but I can’t say for sure, clearing mines with Tychus was still kinda slow in my attempts.

My easiest run so far was going zeratul mass cannons.

1 Like

I highly doubt I have the macro for this, but theoretically Raynor could scan for mines, drop Marines and tanks directly on top of the ships (bypassing most of the mines), and go from there? And once there’s vision their ally could join.

Might even be good with Swann - Raynor could go pure marine and Swann can tac jump the hercs.

Downside is it’s two slower commanders.

You can’t really prevent the first ship from blowing up randomly, but you can prevent the other ones from doing so.

Just won it three times in a row with Nova. Pretty much just have Nova run around the map while leaving her army on the objective, not much else to say.

Easiest strategy probably is just to do Stukov bunkers. First ship will likely die since Stukov has nothing for it, but that isn’t a big deal as long as your ally doesn’t instantly quit because of that.

Blaze with his ultimate as first oultaw for Tychus? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

First game didn’t go well. I went with Tychus and my ally have Zagara. Lost the first ship and I knew that was gonna happen. Not much we can do. Clearing out the minefield with Tychus is a bit slow. Missiles is what killed me in the game.

Me and my ally from the first game agreed to form a party and find suitable commanders combo. I choose Karax for protecting the ship and my ally choose Stukov to clear out the minefield.

We went 2nd round and we beat it without the bonus. We’re able to stop the first ship from being destroyed. It was pretty easy until I almost got overrun in the last two ship (I was protecting two ship at the same times.) Luckily, my ally done clearing out the map so he came by to help me.

I can’t say who is the best commander for this map. I find the combination of commanders and communication with ally are crucial part of completing the mission.

Beat this week mutation on first attempt.

I am using Kerringan and my ally is Stukov.

My Stukov ally is defending our bases and expansion against the missle commands with his well-placed bunkers, and clearing the mines and triggering mag-mines with his free unlimited infested while I just defending the airship with Nydus and Lurkers. After 10 minutes, I starting to clear most of the mines in the map where my ally didn’t clear it with my Immobilization Wave which has huge AOE.

Raynor is garbage vs Minesweeper IMO, especially on this map due to its time limit.

Being forced to burn scans early on cripples your ability to grow your economy, adding in the need for turrets for Missile Command, and he’d take forever to ramp up properly.

2 Likes

Yeah probably right.

What commanders have easy access to detection? Tychus, Alarak, Nova, and HH come to mind. Who else?