Co-Op Mutation #180: Graveyard Shift

Flying command centers does not have the bonus vision that landed command centers do, and I believe the same applies to all the other buildings - when in flight they have zero vision.

honestly it’s not as worse as polarity. This mission isn’t heavily relying on your ally.
I passed as Nova and Raynor. As mentioned earlier, command center- siege tank defense line can hold 3 directions. Yea you might have to look for left over buildings, but you can still use 1-1.5 day to search for them. All we want from our ally is defending bottom and destroying building in daytime. This is far less annoying than you must defend together and more forgiving.

Does that apply if they are floating as well? a possible benefit for Swann that would allow defenses to sit there and still have space available

Played it couple times now, feels more like I got hired as a cleanup worker, trying to figure out which buildings my ally missed

Nope. Flying buildings have 0 vision.

Blizzard should stop joking, camera and vision mutators week after week are not hard but simply annoying.

rolled spotters chokers and skanks as karax, probably the worst combo for him… and my ally missed a lot of buildings…
managed it in the end but nearly lost with the chokers and spotters staying out of vision and the horde of skanks my ally didn’t help with.
honestly though it would be easy if I got hunterlings or kaboomers… even nydus worms are np if the enemy comp is ok…

Anyone who says Zeratul isnt the best commander for every week is wrong, especially for this one considering his observers don’t even give a damn about the Afraid of the Dark Mutator and have vision anyways when stationary.

2 Likes

Thanks to Maguro, I no longer have to complain on the forums that the purifier beam came into my base, and killed all my Depots and scvs.
Why complain on the forums if blizzard doesn’t even have one guy to copy and paste the changes that Maguro provides?

A helpful tip: Nova with her sensor upgrade can help find left over buildings that you may have missed, since they will shop up as ! in the black areas. That ability + her blink can help her quickly move around the map, assuming you’ve cleared most of it.

3 Likes

As usual, Han and Horner make every Dead of Night mutation much easier. Happened to get paired with a Raynor ally which made it even easier to do my bombing runs, but I could have been paired with a defensive commander and been almost as effective.

As usual, Han and Horner make every Dead of Night mutation much easier

On paper or in theory, you would be forgiven for thinking H&H, a purely offensive commander, would be garbage on DoN mutations. In reality, the duo are really well equipped to fight off the zombies and tactical air strike feels kinda OP on this map. I love it!

I’m no fan of modes that make the interface worse than it already is, but at least you can see the logic behind this week’s mutation. Two players, one camera per player, enemies coming from 4 angles at once. Wait, that’s not enough! Let’s increase the angles and keep players from using low aggro structures for sight.

Not sure if this is being clever or just having a bad day… for once though I’m glad the QA is only a myth. (not counting Maguro’s awesome contributions)

If only those last buildings would leave a trail of infested marching towards your base.

Some time ago the design team thought long and hard on how to make co-op more accessible to a wider range of audience. They came up with the brilliant idea of releasing a commander that did not require the player maintaining sufficient supply, pylon fields, building automated gas, managing reinforcement path, army logistics planning or even having to start any upgrades for their units! The entire works, basically, plus automated blink micro just to be sure. It turned out to be a huge success, the commander became immensely popular!

But what now? What else could possibly be done at this point? Can Blizzard finally rest easy knowing that they’ve developed a commander to appease absolutely every possible type of player out there and move on to create different kinds of new content?

Then, on the week of the 180th mutation, as the entire co-op development team was just about to celebrate the success of their new commander, one of the testers that read your post reported this seemingly critical bug to them. Dilligently, they decided to hold on to their bottles of champagne for the moment and forward the bug to the QA, as their pride would never allow such an attrocious error. No longer producing software that is completely bug free in every practical sense is one thing, but there is nothing to celebrate about a product that doesn’t even work. After staring countless hours at the bugtracker, with a corkscrew in one hand and a bottle of champagne that’s become room temperature in the other, the bug still hasn’t even been confirmed. What’s going on? We tried nearly everything, the QA team replied, as nobody has been able to reproduce the bug. We’re starting to think the bug might be due to something like cosmic background radiation interfering with the processor of certain users causing it to malfunction in a certain way. Not a pleasant day for the QA team, but these things happen and the best thing to do is just laugh it off at the coffee table and try again the next day. The story of course eventually also reached the lead developer, who then quickly lost the mood to celebrate the success of the final commander as he came up with a simple and plausible explanation that accounts for everything that happened. The reason of course being that he came to the shocking realization that there is far more work to be done on the development of co-op commanders, but how on earth is he supposed to deliver the news? Would anyone even believe him?

This is nothing but an elaborate fantasy, but I had to share it.

tl;dr you forgot to build a robo bay

Is this your first time using observers as Zeratul? Only the 100% bonus from the upgrade is unaffected, so his observers still lose half their sight range. That’s quite a big damn if you ask me, especially if you consider the area which is pi r squared.

2 Likes

The sight radius on them is at least as large as a Nexus and they’re essentially 100x better to use than building Nexuses all around your base would be, so I don’t see what your issue is and why you’re trashing his Observers, they’re totally amazing for this brutation.

1 Like

I like your snark, I’m sure you did the mutation a lot more convincingly than I did.

this mission can piss off

Strike Fighters aren’t KIND OF op on Dead of Night. They are completely OP on Dead of Night.

You can one shot up to 3 structures at a time (depending how they are positioned) with a single strike fighter without ever leaving your base, and it’s not like the Strike Fighters can’t be used defensively in a pinch either.

They’re an offensive commander, but the thing about that map is that the better your offense is the less you’ll have to actually spend defending. The defense of the bases only gets tough after night 3 and with H&H the games rarely last past night 3 to begin with.

Strike Fighters are nowhere near as good on other maps though. Good for sniping Void Rifts when that mutation is in the pool, but really not good for much else.

One of the first things I noticed about this week’s mutation is how futile it is to defend all 4 chokes at once. Leave the top choke alone since the beam likes to travel in that area anyway. Focus your defense and your camera closer to your main structure and play a tight formation. A simple way to do this is to build close to the bottom middle choke, and form a long defensive line from the left choke to the right with your ally.

I found that to be the easiest way to defend. The real trick to this mutation though is clearing the structures fast, trying to hold out forever with these mutations especially since the beam makes so much of the area unbuildable is not a smart strategy.

Tough but fair mutation this week. My partner and I managed to beat it on our second try but frankly we got lucky- i could easily see this one taking a dozen or more goes.
Partner did an incredible job essentially playing solo defense as swann while I ran around killing structures both during the day and night as fully cloaked vorazun (dts+coarsairs ftw).
Definitely the most difficult part of the mutation was not having the objs marked on the minimap- it came down to the wire while i frantically searched for the last three buildings.

With the sensor array upgrade, a xel’naga watcher has 8.5 sight range in surveillance mode, but what about Artanis’, Karax’ and Fenix’ observers? And do Nova’s elite marines get 2 sight range with laser targeting?