Can't see portraits, ladders or lobbies

So there was a frequent bug on my old computer, but since buying a 2017 MacBook Pro this has never happened. Now suddenly it’s cropped up again in a significant way. Sometimes I load the game up I can’t see any portraits, stats, ladders, etc. It won’t let me play the game at all, it’s just a hollow skeleton of a program.

A few days ago, restarting my computer resolved the issue, but now today it still is having serious trouble. I’ve been waiting and restarting my computer for 45 minutes. The game is unplayable! Any advice?

Thanks

Heya Hektor,

Would it be at all possible to test the game client on a different network? This will help verify between a network issue and a computer issue. If you use a mobile hotspot for this be sure to disable the wifi on the phone so that all data goes through the cellular service.

Let us know if this works for you.

You are on to something!

Normally, I have a 5G network, but I ran the game from my mobile hotspot and it worked flawlessly.

Is there anything we can do to fix my regular wi-fi network? I don’t want to use my data when I play (although it’s invaluable to know that it works!) I’ll let you know if this work-around ends up being a coincidental success rather than a dependable one.

Hey, HektorOfTroy. This could be an issue with the home network, provider, or peering since a hotspot worked. With it happening for so long and consistently through different devices, I don’t suspect peering/routing to be the issue or the provider itself. It seems likely an issue with the home network devices.

Try seeing if Google DNS may work over the provider DNS, check for the router ports, make sure the router’s security/firewall settings are not set too high, and if you have a separate modem and router, try bypassing the router.

I tried the Google DNS and it made no observable impact. I moved my security/firewall settings to be very low and it made no observable impact. I do not have a separate modem and router, and tried various simple solutions such as moving closer or farther from the wireless router.

I looked into router ports and disabled all port forwarding rules, although I was not able to see four digit codes like your link suggested.

HOWEVER

The reason I have ghosted is because the problem seemed to resolve itself after a few weeks. I haven’t experienced this glitch in many months. Thank you VERY MUCH for your attention and trying to help me.

Appreciated the update either way, HektorOfTroy! The ports article was recently changed, so the specific ports are no longer publicly available. The article should address most issues with the router firewall or security.

Hopefully, all is well now! Definitely sounds like there was a connection issue somewhere on the network or in the connection routing since it cleared up after a few weeks :slight_smile: Let us know if the problem comes up again!