Artanis prestige rework idea

Thinking about it for awhile now, I think I have an idea of why artanis prestiges are kind of, underwhelming. the first for it’s crippling cost increase, the second was nerfed into the ground, and the third kind of, lacks cohesion. I have an idea on how to rework these into a coherent set of prestiges

P1 - Artanis enters the field of battle as a hero unit, while artanis is alive his units gain 100% increased ability effectiveness.
Disadvantage changed to: You lose access to the Spear of Adun.
Artanis: retains lightning dash, healing wind, resurgence and force of will.

P2: change energy cost of Project Power Field to 15, can also teleport photon cannons within the power field as long as there is open ground to place them. Disadvantage: Guardian Shell is Disabled

P3: Shield Overcharge is now a small area of effect ability that costs 25 energy, Project Power Field costs 10 energy, Solar Bombardment’s cooldown is removed, it’s damage is reduced by 50% and it’s energy cost is increased to 90. Using a top bar ability summons an Unbound Fanatic at it’s location that lasts 20 seconds and throws damaging projectiles. Unbound Fanatics generate energy for the Spear of Adun when they kill enemy units and structures. Orbital Strike summons a fanatic on the last use of the ability.

Disadvantage: You can no longer warp in units.

I wanted to give each prestige a more unique identity along with a more fitting disadvantage. They are major ones but they mostly change the playstyle rather than cripple it’s advantages.

These are terrible. I wouldn’t even bother with any one of these. They might be worst than what we already have.

1 Like

pshhhhh what!!! getting a hero unit for artantis would be freakin wicked! I would def try it… like all the time.

the other ones are neat too, but wouldnt use them as much as that p1 tho

The hero unit idea is the only idea that’s remotely good and it’s not even original.

The only issue I have with the current prestiges is that P3 flat out sucks and needs some improvements like a longer duration to the fanatics and an alternative disadvantage to losing guardian shell while P2 needs better quality of life improvements to the energy costs (like it’s free to use if no combat units are transported and/or the energy cost is refunded if units are transported to within a pylon field so in essence it costs 25 energy to bring your units near a pylon).

I’m all for Artanis as a hero unit. I seen couple threads about it and it appear that the Artanis as a hero unit have quite a popularity among the community.

3 Likes

The idea of adding Artanis as a hero is popular, but I’m not sure about combining it together with Valorous Inspirator (P1), which seems to work okay already. The cost increase is painful for Dragoons but it’s not crippling for e.g. Zealots and High Templar, and the prestige seems to do well overall.

What would be lost in losing the Spear of Adun, also? All top bars including Power Field, and also Guardian Shell?

I do actually quite like the idea that Nexus Legate’s disadvantage could be that it prioritises attack over defence. It also solves a problem that a ‘good’ Nexus Legate will massively overshadow P0 and become ‘default Artanis’. It’ll never feel that way if you lose Guardian Shell, which keeps P0 in the game.

Photon Cannon teleporting seems a bit unnecessary, I’m not against it I s’pose as I don’t think it’d be excessively powerful… but it’s coding work for a bit of a sideline.

So… you said that P3’s problem is a lack of cohesion. This has even less! If it takes this much text to describe the changes (even in summary form), I think there’s a bit of a design problem here.

What are you trying to go for here?

I’m a bit surprised at the total revamp on all of these. I feel even though Artanis’s prestiges are not the most impressive set, they certainly aren’t horrid to be needing this.

The hero idea isn’t new. I do support that idea but again for a 4th future prestige is best.

1 Like

God I really hope Artanis Hero do make it into the prestige.
Link: Starcraft 2 Improving Artanis's Prestige 3: Arkship Commandant (Feat. Artanis) - YouTube

Artanis prestige does not need rework, maybe some mirror tweaks. Like adjustments to energy needed to teleport for p2 or shield overcharge energy requirements for p3.

As for Artanis hero they should include it in future prestiges. Just leave it like it is for now.

1 Like

I wouldnt change p1 at all. Theres people that like the stle of it and know its strength.

As for p2: definitly redo the energy cost. 25 is too much and 10 too less. Also warping cannons is total BS. Once youve built a cannon in the energy field its stuck there and prevents you from porting your army. Ive literally never built a cannon as artanis other than preventing nukes…

P3 is arguably the worst because of loosing guardian shield. And not even getting “good” archons for it. Change this to Artanis hero unit with his heal ability and we might forget about the loss of GS

Been playing Artanis P3 a lot lately. It’s not bad. I find it pretty good actually with spear of adun, and shield overcharge masteries.

Clump with your ally before using shield overcharge. With full mastery it last 38 seconds and prevents 380 damage .

Don’t shoot archon orbital strikes right at structures, part of the strike needs to land on the ground (this may be a bug) the way it works right now.

20 minute game equates to 8 shield overcharges / 4 archon orbital strikes / 3 solar bombardments; or 6 shields / orbital strikes.

I find P3 pretty darn good for maps with clear waves / clear pushing, here mathematically optimal use of shield overcharge can go farther than guardian shell. It’s not as good of a prestige on maps / situations where there is more of a steady stream of fighting going on like DoN.

Archon Orbital Strikes pretty much delete a wave thus saving your units.

I actually find my units survive better in the early game with this prestige than standard Artanis.

It would help if you could recover spear of adun energy for unused orbital strikes. Sometimes 5 shots is overkill. 2-3 shots will delete an early wave, and give player more flexibility with their spear of adun energy. I hope they will consider this minor quality of life change.

2 Likes

Most recently, I remember carrying an ally on TotP. On the double set Thrashers with the double Hybrid Spawns. I used Fantatic to practically destroy all of that wave.

Just giving people a gauge on its power when used appropriately. That wave is considered probably one of the largest spawns (outside of the alternative pattern down main entrance) of any map. So to have Hybrid Dominator and 2 Nemesis left and down to yellow, that’s pretty good damage from Orbital Strike Fanatics :+1:

2 Likes

Then why no other votes for hero-absent prestiges for hero commanders or hero-unit prestiges for other non-hero commanders? I hope you understand that no astral wind in it’s current state will be present in case prestige is made. I’d say Artanis prestiges are good, they just need some tweaking - like P1 affecting all abilites, including dragoons. Even maybe decrease mining animation for probes at twice (which would probably require increasing the cost penalty but it would be beneficial and unique anyways if number made correct). And for P3 it’s up for guys that played it alot and know a lot about this prestige to make proposition. P2 needs just 17-18 energy cost for field and it’s golden.

My hunch is that since Artanis is not a super popular commander (probably get paired with him the least of all the free to play commanders / campaign commanders, and less than Nova, Dehaka, Tychus, Zeratul, Abathur, and Mengsk), most people tried P3 a few times while leveling, didn’t find it overwhelming and dismissed it.

1. This prestige requires some long term mission planning with spear of adult energy management; which involves some trial and error.

2. This prestige isn’t as optimal at early levels as it is later. Shield overcharge gets double at level 13, and nearly double again plus longer duration with full masteries. This prestige also actually makes it worth taking spear of adun energy with Artanis.

Even sans Guardian Shell, I find myself losing less units on most maps because of more frequent shield overcharge or just clearing waves with spear more often. The one exception is I do find early game on infested maps harder with P3, and tend to lose more units. Though 1 shield overcharge / 1 orbital strike gets you through first night / first ship.

I sincerely hope the next Artanis prestige rework suggestion, which contains having him as a heroic unit, would at the very least try to address the issue of the said character being a somehow dull one.

Limit that to the loss of Orbital Strike and Shield Overcharge. Losing the other things is too much, and unnecessary.

The disadvantage of the energy cost is already enough. Disabling Guardian Shell is an incredible disadvantage, and the teleporting Photon Cannons aren’t enough to compensate. Just decreasing the cost to 15 energy should be enough in this case.

Instead of no longer warping in units, just disable Project Power Field. Solar Bombardment doesn’t need to be involved either. Better to limit the scope to Orbital Strike and Shield Overcharge.

Solar Bombardment doesn’t cost energy. Doesn’t limited orbital strike or shield overcharge at all .

If you are going to disable the power field, you might as well just disable warp in completely. I’d rather just rally point my units than have to warp them in at home then move them to my army.

I guess there is proxy pylons. But this makes level 15 200 supply upgrade a lot less useful . Making this idea worse than the current P3.

Why would I bother using a Prestige that locks Artanis’s Warp Gates that have 3 charges per Gate? That is one of his best traits! You can warp in an army with just a few Warp Gates.

My main issue with Artanis’ Prestiges is that none of them really change your gameplay or army composition. Even the caster/ability-focused P1 forces you to get the usual Zealots/Dragoons, because it takes too long to get upgraded High Templar, which are the main strength of P1. The Dragoons don’t get any buffs from P1 - but still cost 30% more.

Some sort of Nova P1 treatment would’ve been interesting. Or removing the tech requirement for the Templar Archives, you know? Or keep the tech requirements, but High Templar already have their upgrades researched… at the very least the Khaydarin Amulet and Psi Storm. Or make at least one Golden Age Archon per P3 Orbital Strike permanent. Hell, what about just upgrading all your Archons to Golden Age Archons with higher stats as part of a Prestige? Keep the 1000 shield ones temporary, but buff his regular Archons. You see where I’m getting at, right? Something like that. Or a Golden Armada Prestige, with added Carriers and Golden Age Void Rays, but disabling the Gateway and a Shield of Adun ability, something like that, whatever.

But instead, all three prestiges behave almost the same in terms of army composition or build orders. It’s all just… Artanis+. Still better than no prestiges, don’t get me wrong.