Are the current Zealot actually broken?

Cannon rushes can work vs T but T have a natural resistance to them in the form of a wall.

I think winning with a CR vs Terran is more about misplays on the Terran side than it is about good plays from the Protoss side.

That being said, if I feel cheeky, I will cannon rush a Terran but I pull some Gaulzi level nonsense when I do that. 2 probes, build a pylon on the low ground, send 1st probe into Terran base, put down more pylons in plain sight with 1 behind the mineral line and 1 granting vision of the wall, 2nd probe puts down cannons and from there, the Terran can either choose to deal with the low ground cannons or the cannons that are Gaulzi walled behind the mineral line.

Add in a gate when they float and GG.

But that’d because I’m doing a cheese with GM level execution, not because cannon rushing is good.

yea, this kind of cannon rushes usually do not work against terrran unless they panic and start headbuting: treat it like one against zerg where the followup is intended to kill them, not the cannons itself and drop a gate with the first cannon (watch printf or grim for better understanding)

In the long run they might, but not early.

When you actually run the math on a Mule, it is equivalent to about 3-4 workers, but you have to cut 2 cycles of worker production to get the Orbital in the first place. It works out to about a 1-1.5 worker boost at the cost of 150 minerals and it takes a while for that boost to make up for cutting the two prior SCVs.

On top of this, Terran builds SCVs at a slightly slower rate than Protoss with occasional Chronoboost (Zerg has cheaper hatcheries and extra larva production compared to standard worker production to compensate for their drone morphs), and Terran has to take a number of SCVs off the line to build structures.

Mules only start to pull Terran ahead after the races cut worker production or when mineral patches become limited. They do become a consistent boost in the late-game though.

4 Likes

Edit: That’s a very old video and was before protoss realize how much of a power vacuum the other cyclone left. The current protoss style had not been figured out yet in that video.

You can see a leap between your video and this one.

Protoss got a lot bolder in tvp over this years patch cycle.

Also most of this stuff might not matter since the new vikings is pretty busted in ground mode. Thor is also stupid strong for general use.

Wtf is “stalker cheese” LOL??

Sounds more like the legendary “list of 10000 possible protoss cheeses that we can’t scout wahhh”.

In other words, “anything that killed me was a cheese and protoss should be nerfed or I’ll cry”.

2 Likes

I play random a lot and IMO marine and zerglings are vastly superior to the zealot.

You can easily win games with marines or zerglings alone (+ medivacs for terran) if you play better, zealots are bad by themselves.
The only reasone they are decent is because of the warpin mechanic, they are relatively, tanky and have good dps and if you can reinforce with a batch of 12 on the frontline, then they can kick some behind.

But other than that they lack the mobility of zerglings or marine with medivac and have no AA like the ling.

If you gate the impact damage behind a second upgrade then the first upgrade should be moved to the cybernetics core so that it is available earlier and does not block other core upgrades.

Anyway I agree that charge is a stupid mechanic and higher legspeed would be much better, then zealots would also be way more mobile by themselves.

4 Likes

You’d have to get rid of or severely nerf concussive shells to replace charge with a simple higher leg speed

Im not good as maru but this is pretty much how my games play out v toss. toss is so far ahead. went a fast 3rd and yeah. no way to punish it. However, you have to be patient against toss.

That’s why we NEVER see zerglings in TvZ, because terran can just mass 40mmarauders and concussive shells will cover them, right?

Your argument falaciously assumes that Terran somehow has each marauder target fired on a different zealot so they can slow enough to matter significantly.

3 Likes

You can get like 6 lings for each marauder lol

Zealots don’t have that luxury.

The marauders do not have to each be targeting a different zealot for them to kite chargeless zealots to death. Which ever zealot comes close will simply be slowed and/or killed.

1 Like

Blockquote " zealot is strong, top tier unit, even…"

top tier unit in the tier 1 category, no.
Marines: 50 mineral, spawn one unit, shoot air and ground units with instant attacks, moderate damage, with a higher production time than zealots.
Zerlings: 50 mineral, spawn two units, high mobility, moderate damage, high production rate.
Zealot: 100 mineral, spawn one unit, moderate damage, moderate tank, lowest production rate.

You could implement upgrades here, only then does zerg becomes subpar because it takes awhile to get adrenal glands. Warpgate, and charge, doesn’t compare to stimpack, and combat shields.

I’ve ran the simulations and zealots can never beat terran marines with or without upgrades.

Zealots are a support unit. You nerf zealot, you nerf all compositions they are involved in.

cost-for-cost Marines and Lings DPS dwarf the DPS of zealots so I wouldnt even call all 3 of them moderate damage.

With marines you can kite so they do out dps zealots, and zerglings are produced faster than zealots, so zealots are outnumbered.

Cost for cost: 2 marines can beat 1 zealot and 4 lings can beat 1 zealot.

I was referring to you classifying all of them as moderate damage. When the fact of the matter is that zealots don’t come close in terms of DPS.

comparing only basic units

marine is high damage output
zergling is moderate damage otuput
zealot is low damage output

Blockquote “went a fast 3rd and yeah. no way to punish it”

No way to punish a fast third from a protoss player. You said, “Maru”, so I’m going to assume you play terran. If protoss goes a fast third before the 5:30 min mark then they most likely have little to no units with 2 gateways with wargate, a robo facility, and one other additional tech, I.E., stargate,TC,robobay. You’re either also rushing a third which really isn’t an excuse for terran because they usually have a fair amount of units or your cheese didn’t work.