Are the current Zealot actually broken?

I don’t think their’s any confusion that the current zealot is strong, top tier unit, even…

But we can compare this unit with the marine and see that, in that light, it’s not really any stronger. Head on, sure the zealot wins, but compared to other units, the zealot has enough weaknesses that it’s on about the same level as a marine.

We don’t ask for the marine to be nerfed. We’re quite happy with the idea that this core unit is strong, and we want it to remain strong.

The issue seems to more be centred around all-ins, yet that issue is clearly a warpgate issue, not an issue of the zealot. So long as warpgate is in the game and readily available, protoss players will use all-in stats.

The community also pleaded for the zealot, and the hydra for that matter, to be made into core units. We even got buffs like reducing the price of charge, and a buff in Legacy (the +8). While some did complain about it, it wasn’t an concern that the community as a whole seemed to back. And I suspect that the reason for that was that we knew that we wanted the Zealot as a core unit.

I think I just can’t get over this patch… on the lead up we saw nerfs to the immortal and WP. And I for one was interested to see where these changes were taking the race, you know, where Blizzard would put the power of the protoss race, how the army as a whole would be flavoured.
Nothing was added… what the heck?

13 Likes

It’s as strong as the other races basic unit (ling and marine)

8 Likes

Zealots are the best core unit in the game, if not the single best unit in the game. Do they have the micro potential of the Marine? No. What does? But we have humans playing the game, not Autonomaton 2000. Byun, back when he was good, was able to make marines look as good as Charge Zealots.

I’m not discouting that Protoss is getting f*cked out of existence in this patch, but you have to have a sense of reality about the Zealot, it’s beyond awesome and requires very little babysitting.

2 Likes

I don’t mind nerf the all in, but I realy have a problem that in every single patch they are nerfing it and not accomplishing it, they are hurting macro games, the WP Immortal nerfs along with ov speed buff, stim buffs, Protoss clearly don’t have any advantage in the late game as it used to have, what they think nerfing the early game will do to the race?

2 Likes

No one credible believes zealots, adepts or observers are a problem in sc2. Nor liberators or ravens for that matter. Blizz is flubbing this patch. They need to fix infestor/BL, and ravens need to be more powerful if anything - not less. Lurkers have like a 30 sec window of effectiveness in ZvT and ZvP - THAT needs to be fixed, by making them cheaper and come out sooner … not giving them more pointless late game upgrades that no one is going to get because the opponent has already hard countered the lurkers with air or mass siege.

There are so many changes in this patch that are either pointless or actively bad (the neural change for instance). If they want to revamp the game, cool. But do it by actually fixing things that are a problem. Not minorly tweaking everything in the game and thereby achieving nothing.

2 Likes

Find 1 GM terran ON EARTH who thinks ravens are good for the TvT meta.

The liberator is getting buffed, and the adept is getting buffed.

3 Likes

Both charge and concussive shells are upgrades that should be removed since they are anti-micro for both sides and are lazy designs. Charge should just be replaced with a fast speed upgrade like what they had in BW which would allow zealots to always chase the enemy and not wait for cooldowns between charge usages.

But on the subject topic, Zealots with charge are one of the most powerful basic ground units in the game with no micro potential, high damage(8x2 + 8 charge impact damage = 24 damage per charge hit) and high durability.

1 Like

Let’s be honest here: zealots are good but they are not as good as speedlings or marines. There is no need to change the zealot.

8 Likes

imagine believing this

14 Likes

Zerglings beat Zealots with even resources and supply every time , specially after Adrenal glands upgrade.
I have no idea why the balance team keeps trying preventing protoss players from early all ins by nerfing their units over and over again instead of buffing their late game to have a real chance of winning !!.
Look at this obnoxious hive upgrade Adrenal glands that converts the zergling into the best mineral dump killing machines on the ground, you just fought an even battle with heavy losses on both sides , no problems zerg will spawn 50 zerglings in few seconds and send them to chew your infra structure and few units you can pump out with hilarious dps!

Zealots should have a late game upgrade that gives them credibility in late game not nerfing them further !

11 Likes

Have you looked at all of the patch notes? Or played the test map?

Zealot Dragoon fights against tanks were so much fun in BW. I do not think that it would be a good change for SC2 though. SC2 is way different from BW.

1 Like

The vast majority of players do not, and always knee jerk about the changes off what they read or what others who also aren’t playing say about them.

The only bad changes in the entire patch notes is the Obs change and giving the BC a 1 second stun. Everything else plays great.

Speed zealots have the advantage of always moving faster instead of waiting for each charge cycle.

The question is: How fast would blizzard make the zealot? Faster then stim marines?

2 Likes

Concussive shell would be removed in the same patch since it discourages micro and causes Bio to just destroy everything since nothing except massive units can escape.

1 Like

Can Blizzard give you a job? You seem to be the only person who looks at the changes and really thinks about them. I am sick of all these people whining who do not play the test map or do not look at pros playing the test map.

I like the idea.

4 Likes

I would like to have whatever you are smoking

Marines and Zerglings have two upgrades meanwhile Zealot only has 1.
Zealot is the only T1 unit which fails hard against enemies with armor.
Because he does two attacks 1 armor reduces 2 damage from them.

1 Like

Well, then you should be happy since you’re about to get a second one.

Like the Marauder? The Immortal? The Roach? The Stalker? wtf?

And each attack does more damage than the Zergling or Marine.

5 Likes

you mean separating charge damage and sell it as a new upgrade?
Compared to Marine and Ling upgrades,it is laughable

4 Likes

LUL, the poor MyOh immediately gave a like to this post…

2 Likes

Yeah. It was a joke, don’t worry, you killed it already. I’m against the change. But don’t complain about a unit that requires little to no micro and forces TONS out of your opponent. It’s by far the strongest of the core units. That’s not what’s making Protoss weak right now.

3 Likes