AoE Mind Control?

Ever since Mind Control (MC) got introduced in Sc1 BW via DA (Dark Archons), it’s been a fun concept to explore in this series. Infestors in Sc2 Versus mode. Coop has a whole slew MC options on all 3 races. Was wondering if an AoE (area-of-effect) MC would be worth exploring (concept-wise. Yes, aware that there won’t be anymore content for Sc2)?

Diameter would something large, like 8 to 10. All of the units that are NOT T3 (tier 3) would be affected. Units with the Heroic tag would still be immune.

For finer tuning. We could limit it to something like 20 to 50 supply will get mind controller. For larger range of supply, it’ll prioritize lowest tier combat units, only coming back to workers if there’s nothing else to fill the allocation of supply to MC.

Don’t think this would’ve been too hard to implement, but I’m guessing there’s redundancy in CD (call downs) and other abilities that summon a whole mess of units (Mengk’s Wolves of War, Zagara’s Hunter Killers and Roach Drop pods). However, still neat to just “insta-kill” enemy units, and as a bonus, turn those units right back at Amon

Wouldn’t this mute half the game’s waves up to mid to mid-late game?? Like for many of the compositions we get?

I can see why this isn’t explored. Hard to tune it correctly. If you restrict further to T1 units, then it becomes rather pointless. If you do the T2, the above problem occurs. If you make it T3 too, then it becomes too OP (already OP at T2).

I wouldn’t say T1 is pointless.

Being able to steal lings / banes / marines / zealots would be often a great deal.
However, 8 to 10 radius? If it’s supposed to be casted by a regular caster unit, radius similar to storm’s would do fine for 150 energy. It’s mind control after all, perceive it like “insta kill with bonus benefits”.

The same reason why CDs and other abilities don’t just mute half the game’s waves… they’re on higher cd (e.g. Swann’s laser drill abilities), are costly (e.g. Nova’s Griffin Strike, Zeratul’s Legions, Mengsk’s triple tap PoA), require good energy management (e.g. Karax’ OS and SL, Vorazun’s DA, and Stukov’s Queens).

I did say T3 was excluded

If Dark Archon has less aggro and Vorazun also doesn’t have as many crowd control as she does now, MC would be a lot more utilized.

1 Like

Except you didn’t actually specify a cooldown that would restrict such action. What is costly… exactly?

Presumably this AoE-MC would function similar in its acquisition, cost, and availability to a regular MC (as you’ve already placed restrictions on the T2 units it can apply to… implying implicitly that it functions similarly but ‘less powerful for more units’).

As such, getting out a single AoE-MC capable unit during early-mid game isn’t difficult. I base this on how well I personally can play Dark Archons as the only comparable. Which is why I think it would (as you’ve current framed it) render much of the gameplay moot.

And I think Dallarian here points outs my poor choiced words, which well exemplifies my previous point. Perhaps it was inappropriate of me to say “T1 is pointless”, I just mean here (to clarify) in the grand scheme of the game as a whole.

We can see T1 can function without removing the first 10min of Amon. I hardly would say that’s optimized either.