An unexpected fatal error occured

This problem just wont go away and the support tickets I have opened haven’t provided any answers.

Latest Error Codes I have received:
676195A6-06F8-4002-A5E0-E768401B201E
90C20DF8-87E0-471D-96A3-5DEDAD7FAF30

If there are logs I can upload to help diagnose the issue let me know.

1 Like

When does the error appear?

There is no rhyme or reason to the crashing. Sometimes it will crash as soon as I am logged into the game. Sometimes its while sitting in menus, others mid game. You name it, it’s crashed on me.

Latest Error ID: 3F290CE8-0DDB-4FEA-8CBF-3B53FD06C16B

Those text strings are report IDs, meaning they reference reports that are generated on the server-side when the crash occurs.

You’ll want to submit a support ticket explaining that you are having random crashes and include those IDs. Support can look the reports up and see if they reveal any causes of the crashes.

If you get an automated response the first time, try the suggestions within. If they don’t work, resubmit/reopen the same ticket and explain that you still need help. Keep doing that until a human answers.

Yeap, I am aware. The ID’s alone wont help which is why I offered to uploaded logs/dmps etc.

I hear you on reopening a ticket but it is just endless back and forth with bots or digital assistants copy pasting the same preformatted messages.

If they weren’t closing them out so religiously I’d say its worth trying but that is a dead end so here I am.

The forums are solely player to player help. Since the MS acquisition, there hasn’t been support on the forums anymore. The only place for direct help is the ticket system.

Also, you’re the one that closes out tickets, not support (or at least it should be that way). So, that’s why you keep appending/resubmitting the same ticket when you don’t get the help.

Yes that was my understanding too, yet here I am.

I am also disheartened to learn support never visits the forums anymore but the ticket system hasn’t helped either. The most recent one was opened 3 weeks ago and ping ponged back and forth without resolution or answers to my questions.

It was marked answered and closed by a game master whose name I don’t think I am allowed to share but if I am granted permission to so do I will share it.

That said perhaps a player out there has run into something similar to me and could answer my most immediate question which is what files need permission to pass through the firewall?

I noticed there were 12 entries in my firewall settings and some seemed to repeat (and possibly conflict?) Not sure if that is even relevant anymore since I disabled the firewall all together and still crashed but I am curious.

I have asked that question multiple times in the ticket system but have yet to get anyone to respond to it so trying my luck here.

If you happen to be in the ear of anyone at blizzard who could help me identify the issue I would really, REALLY appreciate it. I mean like you might make it onto the christmas card list this year.

PS I forgot an important tid bit that I shared in one of the tickets:
After noticing all the firewall entries I removed them then uninstalled SC2. After installing again I manually entered 2 sets of permissions in the firewall before firing up the game. One for sc2_x64.exe, and another for sc2.exe. Things were fine for a bit then it crashed again.

I double checked the firewall settings after the crash and noticed the entry for sc2_x64.exe had been disabled. For the record I did not make this adjustment.

PSS, I know you are trying to help so I took your advise and reopened the latest ticket.

Update 1:
Got a response back from the reopened ticket, and they pointed me to the forums again.

At least this time they didn’t provide trouble shooting steps for issues I never reported having.

Update 2:

I replied to their response letting them know I still need help and and I got a reply within 24 hours which is nice, but…

Here is the response I got:

We’re sorry to hear that you’re experiencing crashing, freezing, or launch issues in Starcraft 2. We understand how frustrating this can be, but we’re here to help you resolve these issues. Please follow the steps below, and if the problem persists, consider reaching out to the Starcraft 2 forums or consulting with a local tech expert for further assistance.

Make sure your computer is up to snuff for the game by checking the minimum requirements. Even if your system doesn’t quite make the cut, give these steps a shot - they might just do the trick:

1. Update Graphics Drivers and Windows: Ensure your graphics drivers and Operating System are up-to-date.

2. Verify Game Files: For Blizzard’s Battle.net launcher, select Starcraft 2, click on the Options menu, and choose Scan and Repair.

3. Disable Background Applications: Close unnecessary background applications, as they might interfere with Starcraft 2. Check for any resource-intensive programs running in the background and close them before launching the game.

4. Run as Administrator: Right-click on the Starcraft 2 shortcut or executable and select “Run as Administrator.” This ensures that the game has the necessary permissions to run smoothly.

5. Adjust In-Game Settings: Lower in-game graphics settings to reduce the strain on your system. Experiment with different settings to find a balance between performance and visual quality.

6. Check for Overheating: Monitor your system’s temperature while playing. Overheating can cause crashes. Ensure that your CPU and GPU temperatures are within acceptable ranges. Clean any dust from your computer components and ensure proper ventilation.

7. Reinstall the Game: Uninstall Starcraft 2, restart your computer, and then reinstall the game. Corrupted installation files can lead to various issues, and a fresh installation might resolve the problem.

If, after following these steps, you are still experiencing issues, we recommend visiting the Starcraft 2 forums on the official Blizzard website. There, you can find a community of players and developers who may be able to provide additional insights or solutions based on their experiences.

If all else fails, consider reaching out to a local tech expert who can perform a more in-depth analysis of your system to identify and resolve any hardware or software issues.

The kicker is they marked the ticket resolved again and provided a link to a survey. There is no longer an option to resubmit or append the ticket.

At this point I feel like I have no other options but to try my luck here unless you know the magic words to get someone to actually look at the ticket and tell me what they are seeing in the logs.

I’ll ask around about the crash reports, but I can’t promise anything. They may or may not respond to me too.

The reports are indicating an issue with the Nvidia graphics drivers. There are two .dll files in particular that are causing errors each time you have a crash.

Are you sure you updated the graphics drivers? The version in your dxdiag are showing they are old.

I appreciate this more than you know.

I love Nvidia but this isn’t my first rodeo when it comes to their drivers.

Can you verify what version you are seeing? My current driver version says 32.0.15.5599 but I no longer have the dxdiag I uploaded when I submitted the original report.

This info could prove useful when communicating with nvidia.

Thanks again!

I can’t, unfortunately. MVPs aren’t employees.

If your version matches the latest that Nvidia has, you can try using a driver removal tool to completely remove all traces, including the two dlls that are throwing errors. Afterwards, do a clean install of the drivers.

I hear Nvidia might have a removal tool. You may need to look around Nvidia’s site to find it. If not, you can use this removal tool. (It’s the top item at the top of “Announcements”) Check out the recommended usage section on the download page too.

I’ll ask about the driver version.

Sounds like the drivers are current.

If the clean uninstall and reinstall doesn’t work, I’m out of ideas.

Hey, you tried. It is more than I could of expected and I appreciate it.

I tried using both DDU and Nvidias Cleanup tools but even though the version number looks correct it feels like something is corrupted still.

I may wait to get a response from Nvidia or I may just reformat my window drive and reinstall.

If I get it working ill report back here in case others have a similar issue.

Error persists:
4BAE3CEF-F209-45EF-8CE9-61EF39C63C4E - in game
32CBFB7F-8BF8-49D1-9E45-5957EBF8DE70 - while watching replay
9A754A37-F1A9-4038-96B2-EBC096DE2092 - in game
Nvidia just released 556.12 so I decided to start from scratch.

I performed a memory test overnight using memtest86 which came back with no errors.
With that done I checked hard drives for errors and performed some benchmark/stress tests for other devices to see if anything failed or looked suspicious but everything appears to be ok on that front as well.

So I reformatted the windows drive and disconnected additional drives then reinstalled a clean copy of Windows 10. Let windows update do its thing several times and double checked device manager to make sure there were no unknown devices and that all new up to date drivers where installed. After all of that was done I installed 556.12.

Game still crashed so I repeated the install again with windows 11 which also crashed leading to the error codes above.

I didn’t install anything like Razer Synapes, Geforce Experiance, or Asus Armory Crate to avoid unnecessary back ground apps.

Onesync was properly addressed with with both versions before Battlenet and Starcraft 2 were installed.

Ran battle.net in admin mode.

I tried opening a new support ticket yesterday but the system appears to be down and doesn’t appear to be up and running yet so leaving this here in the hopes someone on blizzards end might run across it.

did you solve it? i’m with the same issue

Exact same issue here running on a 4090.
I assume there is no further update so far?
Did anyone manage to solve this issue?

1 Like

Only solution I found was too uninstall the game from my desktop and play on a laptop with an older driver.

Also running a 4090 and I have tried multiple drivers. Nothing works. Even if one did find one I couldn’t use an older driver because most of the other games I have been playing aren’t supported by them.

It is quite the pickle.

1 Like

Just tried again with the latest nvidia driver 560.70. Clean install using DDU. Safe to say this isn’t just a driver issue.

The ticketing system seems to have been restored so trying that approach again.