Afks in team games. A solution to the problem with no drawbacks

I play a lot of team games and second to team killers one of the worst things is afkers. You can’t get resources from them and even if you destroy their base, they can still remain in the game. I have a solution for this. If a player has not made any action within 1 minute, they are booted from the game. If someone isn’t afk and hasn’t made an action for 1 minute they are frankly dead weight anyway so. So many multiplayer games I know have inactivity timers like this. Also I think this should be applied to 1v1 because an afk opponent is just wasting their opponents time anyway given it takes more than a minute to get units out to go and kill their base.

2 Likes

It’s not that they’re a dead weight, it’s that they deliberately choose not to play in order to increase the chances of the game being lost.

Your solution would work, as would many others proposed against smurfing (cf. part V). However, ultimately it comes down to how much the devs see smurfing as an issue, and if they are ready to do something about it. So far, M1-GM leagues put aside, the previous team didn’t seem to be in such state of mind. :confused:

2 Likes

All the more reason they should booted from the game then lol. If someone is deliberately trying to screw the game for their team, they are no better then team killers. Blizzard uses the starcraft editor make SC2 games as I understand so it shouldn’t be too hard to impliment a system where if someone is not active for 1 minute they get booted. I’ve even seen some arcade games with this function.

1 Like

Can you imagine 10 YEARS OF THIS (insert curse word here) and they never thought to implement anything like this? It’s shocking how little thought people put into this game even while it was super popular. The game was destined to fall in every sense. We can all wish they’d add something like that to team games, but let’s be honest. They’re not touching this game anymore.

2 Likes

They have systems like this in overwatch. A system like this would make complete sense to have and I see zero drawbacks to it except the minimal effort it would take to make this implemented in the game. But I would guess they just don’t really care to right now. However on the off chance I am wrong, that is why I made this thread. I see almost no downsides to adding this.

Pause and try to alert them to come in game. Make sure you use all three pauses, sometimes they come back.

1 Like

Not a bad idea. I am going to try that in future games where I see afks.

1 Like

I would consider this advice with defiance. I’m not sure there’s a time limit for a pause, so using the three of them instead of just one would only prevent you from using it when really needed (if someone phones or if you’ve got a technical issue for example).

Second, this would work only if the player is deliberately AFK (let’s say someone had a phone call during the loading times, it happens). But if you’re facing one of those who do it to smurf, they aren’t there to begin with, and use bots whose behavior is scripted.

https://i.postimg.cc/bYQR8bYq/2020-10-04-AFK-smurf-Profile.jpg

So no amount of waiting during a pause screen will ever induce a reaction, not mentioning the possible laugh at players waiting dozens of minutes for something that’s not going to happen… :confused:

Sometimes just the loud saying of GAME PAUSED or GAME RESUMED will alert the player. I’ve seen it happen.

You can also not assume the worst and simply type PP before you pause. If people are going to unpause then they will unpause you for your “phone call” too. Come on, who the hell takes a phone call during an SC2 game anyway.

People who arent delusional about sc2 being anything more then just a video game.

You’re right, I may assume the worse too often. Maybe I’ve simply been playing this game for too long.

But seriously, considering the state of the players community, better assume the worse and be pleasantly surprised sometimes ; than assume the best and get repeatedly unpleasantly trolled over and over by smurfs, botters, and hackers.

I think only two pauses are required to have obtain the « game paused » « game resumed » announcement. I would simple advise against waiting too long at each pause, and from using all of them in the attempt. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A lot of people are farming now. Some of my friends personally, are currently farming for all the portraits. In team games they must stay for 2:31 in order to get credit for the win. If the team does win down short handed.

However, skilled players that know how to spend money, welcome the extra income, and can still win even down a teamate or two.

Just pointing out, always stay in the game, because something might be happening on the other team as well. And you can always still win. Yes, it’s better if the AFKer does leave instead of being afk all game, so that you do get the extra income.

1 Like