4th unit variation for LotV

Well, the Protoss were (still kind of are) a very religious race.

I just wonder, how come the ā€œReaverā€ fits, but the ā€œGrieferā€ does not?

Itā€™s worth noting that for the most part there are 4th unit variations for LotV- They just arenā€™t used. Iā€™m pretty sure it was always meant to be 3 unit choices, but there are plenty of additional abilities and a handful of variations that can be added ingame with a bit of effort.

For instance, the Taldarim Zealot has voicelines (which may or may not have been reused for the Supplicant) and a gimmick ability called ā€œTerrazine Furyā€. The Purifiers had the Scout, with Afterburners for its gimmick.

Reaver has a certain eloquence that ā€œGrieferā€ lacks.

It could take the name Abrogator (like Zeratulā€™s disruptors in co-op) or Nullifier

1 Like

Wasnā€™t ā€œNullifierā€ the name of Nerazim Sentry that might have been planned?

I remember the Nerazim High Templar at least was going to be called ā€œSignifierā€.

How about ā€œPrimusā€ as the name of the Purifier High Templar?

Nullifier was the original name for the Sentry, same with Disruptor and maybe one other thing before they ended up with Sentry.

The Signifier and Warp Ray (Aiur Void Ray) are among the more complete units in the editor, but thatā€™s not a high bar since those are the only two that actually got units. The Purifier Scout, Taldarim Skytalon, etc. etc. only have leftover bits and pieces in the data.

Ah. I see.

What would you call a Nerazim Adept?

Youā€™re right! Thatā€™s very strange. For some reason the name ā€˜Grieferā€™ just feel weird on my teeth.

Also, do some of you come from Japan or Thailand? This might be my stereotype, but only people from either country seem to be this obsess with name.

Especially, Thai, I once witness a heated argument about name for hours. Iā€™m not sure, but it seems they think that many problem can be fixed with a changing of name. They seem to be arguing about what to call a naive rodent. It seems like whether this rodent is annoying or not depend solely on what their official name is. There is also this girl who got dump and face a string of bad luck; she legitimately change her name because it sound similar to a frictional character in old folklore or something. (Although itā€™s possible that my student was screwing with me, his explanation was too vivid that Iā€™m sure there is some truth to it.)

US, actually, just very particular about Protoss names since they are my favorite race. IMO, there needs to be a certain eloquence for it to sound Protoss enough. In the particular example of ā€œGrieferā€, the only definition I can think is the rather human ā€œsomeone who spoils othersā€™ enjoyment in gamesā€, which the Protoss likely have no concept of.

Honestly, I would split the Adept from its position in the tech tree to a new combat role so that the Instigator (and assuming 4 unit variations, the Taldarim Slayer as well) can take itā€™s spot. In the new role (maybe Anti Light or Harassment) for the Nerazim unit should be the scrapped Soul Hunter from WoL.

As purely an Adept, though, maybe Shadow Seeker, but Iā€™m not too sure. Itā€™s difficult coming with real-ish Protoss unit names and gimmicks.

I kind of like ā€œShadow Seekerā€.

Thatā€™s good one. Donā€™t like the Primus though.

If youā€™ve not heard of it, thereā€™s a map creator that made the first two SC2 campaigns in coop mode, and he did most of the missions of LoTV by now.

Thereā€™s a 4th variant for every unit there.

Where can I find this?

On EU servers, type coop, youā€™ll get a list of all the missions by the same creator.

Is it only on EU? What is the Creators name?

the first two are on US, all three are on EU.

his name is raegLordDz.

Iā€™m not seeing any missions that would have 4th variants. Is it specific?

you gain access to spear of adun/new unit variants as you complete the missions, theres a bank file across all campaigns, so you should complete them in order and do the bonus objectives to get more perks.

For example thereā€™s Talā€™darim melee and ranged warrior variants, but you only gain access to them once Alarak joins you.

Oh. You mean all three Campaigns. I thought you meant Missions.

The LOTV coop campaign is out on EU, most of the missions are out now.

Wait. Mission Progress is carried over?