You've probably heard this before

I’m a new player, only been playing a couple of weeks. Got to level 25, did my placement, and had seven losses and three wins. That was an eye-opener - players who evidently don’t give a toss about winning and quite happily throw games. Anyhow, I ended up with a silver ranked SR of 1608.
After my first ranked match, another loss due to throwers, I went down to 1478. WTF? -130 for 1 loss! After another 5 losses and just 1 win (for +30) I’m in bronze…
Blizzard, I know you’ve been told this, but your SR system is sh*te.
It’s my personal SR, so why do I get punished for how the team performs?
SR should be based on how individuals perform within the team, on factors like KDR, damage done, healing done, damage absorbed, time on objective, etc., with maybe a bonus for winning, but no penalty for a loss that’s pretty much out of my control.
I was really enjoying the game while I was leveling up, but my brief competitive experience has totally put me off. The current SR system is a massive disincentive to continue playing, which is a shame.

Why do you expect to climb the ranks as a legitimate new player? People are better than you. That’s all.

6 Likes

you’re looking at the wrong side of the coin. casting lots to see who’s on which team is incorrect at it’s core

Once you understand why your idea is bad, you’ll climb :wink:
Just continue playing.

2 Likes

First of all. You clearly dont have knowledge how system works. 10 games after initial placement are having big bonus to sr in both ways, up or down to place people faster where exactly they belong. Second thing, its good you ended up in bronze, you as new player have no place to be higher. After you will get knowledge and game sense you will start climbing, dont worry.

Btw you are not punished for how your team performs, you are being punished for how you performed.

I get it, you are angry being place in bronze but belive me, there is no shame being there as new player. Dont take it so seriously, try to learn few heroes and get better at them. And most importantly, dont be afraid of comp, its not perfect but you will find good moments in it.

1 Like

I might be new to OW, but I’m certainly not new to FPS games, and I know from experience that I’m a slightly better than average player, nothing more.
I’ve mainly played Orisa and Moira so far, depending on what’s needed in the team. As Orisa I regularly get gold elims, gold objective kills, golf hero damage, gold objective time and gold damage absorbed, but my team of dps idiots throw the match and I lose SR. As Moira I regularly get gold elims, gold healing, gold objective kills, gold objective time and gold hero damage, but my team of dps idiots throw the match and I lose SR.
On the odd occasion that I get in a good team with more than just me healing or more than just me tanking, we win - end of.
I know I’m not good enough to be a GM player, but I think high gold/low plat could be a realistic expectation if only I wasn’t at the mercy of teams comprising five idiots playing only dps - and playing very badly at that.
Yeah, I’m whining, but that’s the problem. I play games for enjoyment and, with very few exceptions, OW competitive has not been an enjoyable experience for me. I’ll probably still play QP, Arcade and Workshop, but comp needs to change before I go near it again.

Record a game, post the video here. People will let you know exactly why you are in bronze.

1 Like

It’s actually TOO easy to climb out of the lower ranks. Personal-Best-SR is active up to platinum, where you DO get changes to your gains and losses based on your personal stats. If you just frag out hard enough it ends up not mattering if you win or lose too much.

If you’re in the literal bottom 25% of the playerbase, you deserve to be there because you’re not skilled enough to slaughter the bottom-feeders of that rank.

Here’s an excellent post about all the ins and outs of the competitive system in Overwatch.

Because the most important statistic about whether you are skilled, relative to the others in the match, is whether your team wins or loses.

For everyone below diamond, it is. Those statistics are used, unfortunately in an unpublished way, but they are used. When you play really well, but your team still loses, your SR goes down less. When you play poorly, but your team wins anyway, your SR gain is smaller. According to the link I provided, the standard SR gain or loss is 24. Gaining more than 24 means you outperformed others who played the same hero in your tier. Gaining less than 24 means you did not. etc.

This is first and foremost a team game that requires synergy and team play. People already complain that the existing system doesn’t reward people sufficiently for team play, so you can’t please everyone.

It sounds like you would enjoy a competitive game that was Free For All Deathmatch more than Overwatch.

I’m in bronze, so I very much sympathize with being discouraged by losing. However, the game is very complicated, and there is a large amount to learn before you can genuinely claim that you deserve to be in gold. The tiers are divisions of a bell curve of skill. The fact that you are new and fell quickly into bronze tells me that the SR system is working quite well. It started you at SR 2350 for your first placement game. Assuming generously that you gained 24 SR for each of the three wins (24 * 3 = 72) 72 + 2350 = 2422. 2422 - 1608 = 814. 814 / 7 = approx 116 SR per placement loss.

This means that the system judged your statistical performance to be significantly worse than the average gold player. If you had been statistically the same as a gold player, you would have lost 24 SR per placement match loss.

The matchmaker assumed you were SR 2350 before your first placement match, but had the maximum amount of uncertainty surrounding that value. That means it is much more willing to adjust your SR by a large amount in the direction that is indicated by the outcome of the match. An important factor is that you are not judged against the people just in your match, but in all matches for the SR you are currently. So, medals don’t accurately reflect whether you did well compared to the other people who played your hero.

If your mechanical skills are indeed above average, then once you get the hang of helping your team win, even when they make mistakes, then your climb back to gold will be relatively easy.

Yes you are whining and complayning. Just stop man, and most importantly dont do thst in games. It will not help you in any way. I see you are actualy 1300 ±, average people (gold,plat) smurf into your actual sr elo to chill and have fun. If you play as average player which is gold, you will climb in no time.

You are new to the game and comp, geez just enjoy the game, stop taking it se seriously. I dont remember me being so salty back then when i stared doing comp.

Overwatch is not classic case of fps game, playing fps game would maybe help you by playing hitscan heroes and not moira/orisa.

If you are average as you say, there is no way you would stay in bronze or silver for a long time. Performance based SR bonus will kick you from it.

1 Like

The reason why you are at rank you deserve is simple. Everybody gets random team mates and random enemies, not just you. You are the one constant in ranked and when soloqing it’s the only thing you can rely on. The reason why people climb is because they truly are better than the rest of the rank they’re at. They give their random team mates an advantage by being better than them, thus they are more likely to win the game.

You really should post a vod here and many will probably point out why you’re a bronze player.

If you are completely new to OW and went into ranked straight at level 25, even with past FPS experience, there is no way you should be anywhere near platinum rank, or probably even gold for that matter.
To top it off, if you are leaning on the fact that you should be higher based on prior FPS exp, then why are you playing heroes like Moira or Orisa that have little to no carry over from other FPS games.
If you played CS or something, then why not choose Soldier 76. With even a tiny bit of prior exp you should be able to quite easily carry yourself out of bronze with him, even with a thrower on your team.

Just don’t worry about your SR number and learn the game, because at level 25 you haven’t even scratched the surface of how to play the game.

Why did I say “Plus Ultra” in my head aftet reading the title.

Go to custom games, and select some “Tryhard FFA” lobby. Play 5 rounds of some non-cheese DPS against plats/diamonds/masters/GMs/t500, and send us screenshots of the scoreboard after each round.

Seriously, don’t stress over your rank. The cornerstone of OW’s success is that Blizzard found a way to create a game where the experience in this specific game is like 5 times more valuable than the experience in some other FPS, so people from other games can’t stomp as hard just by having 5 years+ previous experience. At this point, like 2/3 of plats (which is still considered kinda meh rank) are lvl 500+, low rank smurfs, or just boosted.

dont look at team, look at how u personaly perform, u do it wrong that why u at low rank, as soon as u realise that all loses is your fault, u will be don’t care about what is your team doing. Pick a hero that u can win the game solo. Otherwise practice 24/7