Your Servers drop players than penalize them

I was playing ranked last night and got into a match and out of no where your servers kick me from the game and take 50 points from me, and yes it was your servers. This happens to a fair amount of people and yet it continues. Its frustrating to spend a lot of time on something on ranked just to have the game take 50 for you with nothing. I just want to know when my points will be reimbursed.

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Remember if you see the message, “Lost Connection to the Server” in the title screen or the message “Failed to Connect to Server” in red text in the text chat box, this means there is something that disrupted your connection to the game server and not a problem with the game server itself. There can be a variety of reasons this happens including those that don’t disconnect your computer from the Internet. There is great troubleshooting to start with that can most likely resolve most issues and I encourage you to check them out here:

As always if nothing in that guide works, please consider running a connection test such as a WinMTR test and post the results here.

WinMTR instructions:

1. Download WinMTR from http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/ (Console players need a Windows Desktop Computer connected to the same network as their console to do this.)
  2. Unzip the WinMTR.zip file to the Desktop.
  3. Open the WinMTR folder and select the 32 or 64 bit version. Choose whichever one corresponds to your version of Windows.
  4. Run the WinMTR.exe
  5. Type the IP address you want to trace in the “Host” field. To get the correct IP you will actually need to open up the game and go Practice Vs AI or Quick Play and if you are on PC hit Ctrl+Shift+N and it will bring up the ingame network diagnostic graph, or go to Video > Options > Display Network Performance Graph if you are on any platform including Console. In the top left corner is the IP address you want to run WinMTR to.
    Network Graph
    note When looking at the IP it will show up ingame as something like 12.34.56.78:12345. You will want to leave the last 5 digits and the colon at the end off and the IP you want to use is just the 12.34.56.78
  6. Once you notice the connection issue while playing, play for about 6 more minutes, minimize the game and click on “Stop”.
  7. Click on “Copy text to clipboard”, then return to this forum thread.
  8. Type two sets of four squiggly lines and then paste the contents of the WinMTR test between: ~~~~ Paste WinMTR Test Results Here ~~~~

If in the event you can’t even connect to Overwatch and get into any game mode at all, please use one of the following IP addresses based on your geographical region:

• US West - 24.105.30.129
  • US Central - 24.105.62.129
  • Brazil - 54.207.107.12
  • Europe - 185.60.114.159
  • Europe - 185.60.112.157
  • Korea - 211.234.110.1
  • Taiwan - 203.66.81.98

i know when its my internet and its only happened once or twice since the release of this game. I have a performance overlay on and it didn’t even flinch. if it was my internet it’s understandable, but it wasn’t.

I believe you that it is not your specific internet connection but the problem is that a disconnection can happen among several different hubs between you and the game server on that specific connection route. That is what the WinMTR connection test is for.

|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                                  HG6Box -    0 |  647 |  647 |    0 |    0 |    8 |    0 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |  130 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|96-34-116-161.static.unas.tx.charter.com -    0 |  647 |  647 |    9 |   15 |  206 |   12 |
|   crr14renonv-bue-4.reno.nv.charter.com -    0 |  647 |  647 |   11 |   17 |  162 |   14 |
|   bbr12renonv-bue-5.reno.nv.charter.com -    0 |  647 |  647 |   10 |   21 |  183 |   21 |
|   bbr01rvsdca-bue-4.rvsd.ca.charter.com -    0 |  647 |  647 |   28 |   39 |  236 |   35 |
|bbr02chcgil-tge-0-2-0-1.chcg.il.charter.com -    0 |  647 |  647 |   31 |   39 |  205 |   35 |
|                eqix-ix-la1.blizzard.com -    0 |  647 |  647 |   31 |   39 |  203 |   32 |
|       ae1-br02-eqla1.blizzardonline.net -    0 |  647 |  647 |   32 |   48 |  355 |   41 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |  130 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider~~~~

So from what I can see here, the first hub of your ISP right out of the box is having possibly unusally large spikes of latency (in the 200’s) even though your overall average is 15 milliseconds. This could be very well the be source of the problem. Also the very second hub is not reporting back so that might be a problem but it may be configured to not respond to pings either. Also where do you live? If these IP address are an indication of the route, it looks like its going from your home to Texas, to Nevada, and then somewhere in California, THEN heads for Illinois which then connects to the Blizzard Chicago Servers. Which is really wonky as that is not a very straight path to a game server.

im in Nevada. I don’t know why it would be going to texas

Yeah, again I am not specifically sure if these charter listed address indicate their location (you’d have to ask them). Now the speed isn’t exactly bad on average. However the fact the worst ping rate of the third hub is over 8 times the size of your average that third hub might be acting up and causing the disconnections.

I don’t know anything about networking

And that is what players like myself are here for. My recommendation for now is just follow up with your ISP, share these results and maybe they can see if they have any trending problems that could be causing this. Also keep testing Overwatch in non-Competitive game modes. Sometimes problems like these resolve overtime on their own.

Is this game free to play? I’ve spent to much time on the game to deal with these issues just to monitor it myself which I been doing already. I have 0 issues with any other game. There’s always something. From faulty servers to constant FPS drops without any real solutions. I haven’t been able to enjoy the game for quite sometime do to these problems. its infuriating

Note

I’ve tried every idea you guys have posted. got my hardware checked and its fine and I just played another quick play match and of course there was FPS drops.

I played with a friend physically next to me, both using LAN connections on the same router and I got kicked when the match started, while he was next to me in the game. And even tho I could join back in time I got penalized. You do realise how f’d up that is, right?

It is frustrating but not doing more troubleshooting to isolate the problem does not help expedite your issues. If your friend did not disconnect and you did, I would lean more toward check your computer’s network configuration if you are disconnecting frequently.

Not having any issues apart from OW with my PC or network connections, I’ve debugged both on my router and my PC and neither had any problems, my bandwith to my ISP was like ~20% utilized, the two OW instances wheere p much the only thing using the internet and latencies/RTT to p much everything
else where fine as well as the smokeping to my DSL showing no problem whatsoever.

We both had problems, once at the same time but mostly just either of us, that was only smaller lag spikes tho, not like the instakick from that placement match(like, I saw the join screen for a second, then the “lost connection” screen), which I could rejoin pretty much instantly(as in before it was closed due to the “player leaves first minute and the match gets cancelled” thing).

Okay this is more helpful information and I am more willing to believe there is an issue somewhere between you and the game server, but again troubleshooting has to be done to figure where and why. WinMTR tests prove where the problem is. (See my post above for instructions).

Yeah thing is I’m not gonna get into comp when having connection problems(we stopped playing comp after this incident and just went into arcade) and how am I even supposed to get the game server’s IP address when I get kicked before the game starts? I can’t traceroute an IP I literally can’t know. And even though I’m in network engineering, my crystal ball of network issues won’t help me here either :wink:

Please use the Training Range (DON’T use Competitive) and you can locate the IP address by opening the NetGraph (again see my instructions above). If in the event you are getting disconnected before getting into any game mode, use the pre-provided IP address in my instructions.

I’ve done all this. when’s it getting fixed? I’ve never spent money on something for it to be so inconsistent