Your actions have consequences

why are people surprised. competitiveness brings out the worst in everyone, it breeds toxicity.

if you don’t like it just keep your daughter away from it.

3 Likes

There is enough girls/women that love video games and put hard work in it. It’s not that rare. Stop the drama and instead of complaining here maybe be a better role model on how to deal with stuff like that.

1 Like

Competitiveness doesn’t breed toxicity. Low integrity and moral standards breeds toxicity. Bad game management breeds toxicity. Bad people breed toxicity.

The issues with gaming isn’t because of competitiveness. Maybe the lack of being involved in anything competitive, but it isn’t because of competitiveness. The lack of competitiveness is what makes so many gamers toxic.

Do you think Smurfs, those with alternate accounts, exploiting glitches and bugs, or any other form of cheating are doing it because they are competitive? No. It’s about feeling superior, at the extent of others.

3 Likes

As crappy as it is, this should probably be a lesson in how to deal with harassment if she is interested in higher play. You will never get people on the internet, or even in person, to not be trolls or jerkwads, and even more so if she is a girl.

Expecting people to be nice online is a lost cause, so don’t bother.

2 Likes

You can (on PC) - Ctrl-Shift-C

So many people don’t see this. Just watch the news.

It’s a reference my dude. All in good fun

I see where OP is coming from, Threads like this dont hurt anyone. And refreshing to read something other than " Y but im 2 good for my SR"

However, low elo is toxic … very toxic, you have to deal with that somehow beforehand. I’ll leave voice immediatly aswell if someone keeps crying into his mic. Increases my performance tremendously.

1 Like

TBH all elo is toxic…just in different forms. from bronze to the top.

It is soemthing you learn fairly quickly. Just depends on your luck of teammates.

However it is an issue many games need to find a solution to.

“forbidden from shaming others” is a rule.

This is an awful rule. It makes the victim have to rely on a system(report system) they have no control over (and in my case extremely little faith in) and protects the actual toxic ppl.

I mean you can easily watch Streamers who are toxic as all get out and they freely get to do this as the companies do not care enough to actually put effort into “cleaning out the toxic trash” that makes an enjoyable game not enjoyable.

this is a sad fact across most any popular game (be it dota, LoL, OW, etc)

1 Like

I’m really sorry to hear that.
First, tell her that there are a lot of people in the Game who are grateful for her work as a healer. It is not obvious that someone takes a healer.

Furthermore, I am sorry for what she has experienced. However, I’m afraid that was just the beginning. Unfortunately, people on the Internet are quickly hurting others bc of the anonymity.

I can only recommend, talk to your daughter again about it. Unfortunately, she will have, it must be said, as a woman in video games always have hard time. maybe tell here that on a soft way too.

Even it is really a shame.

I wish you and your daughter all the best and hope she reinforces the team soon as the heroine she is :slight_smile:

Bad behaviour should be taken seriously at all times, not just because it happened to a young girl. Just saying.

Why are you letting your kid play competitive?

1 Like

bc its a game mode in the game everyone can play.
its not an excuse for toxic players.

every new play to OW should play comp if they want it and feel ready.
And dont should be afraid of bad people who are not have selfcontrol and believe they are the best

While this is true, Blizzard has made it so you never have to communicate with another person in this game if you don’t want to. If you choose to join voice or text comms, that is your choice and you have to be able to deal with what people can say. And if you are interested in “high level play” then not ever being able to take any sort of criticism will always keep you from improving.

I think its quite unrealistic to expect the whole world of “random players” that someone is going to encounter in OW competitive to behave accordingly in any circumstance just because you decided to bring your 12yo there.

The game itself doesn’t contain so much profanity and gore to make it 18+ but the competitive environment does.

This one is on you bud. Sorry to break your bubble.

I agree with you. It is possible.

But criticism is at first about insults in the game instead of constructive criticism in a friendly tone.

No that’s not right, sorry.

Yes, these are the actual facts.

but it is something else that is neither allowed or right.

So right off total lack of supervision on a 12 year old in comp game…

So you as a parent who is supposed to protect your CHILD basically sugar coated how abusive people are on the internet so she wouldnt feel too bad and could keep playing…she having a traumatic experience declined.

No offense but where the hell is your feeling of …im supposed to protect this human when they can not protect themselves. You play this game its not ok for a 12 year old girl to be in comp with voice chat even turned on. You arent even sitting right there!!

You play this game. You know how horrible people can get. Its never ok for children to to be left alone to deal with adults and their random internet behavior. No amount of explanations are going to prepare someone that is still a child.

Would you send your 12 year old daughter into a bar to have a soda alone? of course not right? Its the incorrect place for a child to be alone even though they are only drinking a soda. The things adults talk about do not need to be heard by children.

Im sorry but you are not “such a good parent” for coming to the forums after someone has upset your kid and blaming random internet individuals insted of looking in the mirror and asking yourself …How could i let my 12 year old be unsupervised to the point of being abused by internet strangers?

4 Likes

Sorry but it is.
Harsh language happens in any competitive environment.

Im not talking about things that break TOS like someone telling another dude yo KYS, sure thats illegal and that dude should be punished, but that happens.

Nobody is saying its “cool” and you should “handle it”, but it is what it is.
The damage is done just by hearing it (talking about a child) so since you cant preemptively prevent them from hearing that stuff, you shouldn’t put them in an environment that have A LOT of chances for that to happen.
(although you can, just leave VC and chat, so yeah, even worse not doing that in the first place).

Its called responsibility and anyone who knows better, wouldn’t have done that.

You may not like the color but complaining the sky is blue is quite pointless, don’t you think?.

While it’s true that toxicity and bad experiences are inevitable, I think the best part of the internet and online gaming is, and always will be, the community and the people you meet and make friends with.

I’m sure many people here wouldn’t be who they are today without someone or something that happened to them online.

So, don’t deprive her of that, don’t tell her to shut off coms and ignore everyone, just teach her to find the good and try make some great friends. Letting her play with people you know and trust might be a good start, though I can understand this might be difficult because of her age.

Like I explained in my earlier post: You can’t achieve high level play without the ability to listen to what people say about your play (insult or not) and sort out what can actually be improved. In the middle of a game, no one has the time to worry about their tone of voice, and most criticisms come across as insults regardless of intention.

For the people that can’t handle it, there is many options available to not ever have to talk to other people. But for the people that truly want to compete with and against other people, you have to be able to talk at least listen to them. That is simply a fact of every team-based competitive game, and if OP’s daughter is truly interested in a “higher level of play”, then this is a hard truth that she will have to accept eventually.

1 Like