You shouldn't tell teammates to switch

I just had a game where the Genji’s whining at me that Mei is bad put me off and made me doubt myself/lose concentration, otherwise we’d probably have won. People need to know when to not say anything. This was before we even got out the door.

Nah i will let my teamates keep on playing zarya,hog,lucio,zen

5 Likes

It’s arrogant and misguided to think you know better than them what they can and should play. The only people you’d have a case for telling to switch is new players perhaps.

2 Likes

I make suggestions and ask if they are willing to switch. Demanding is toxic and they have the right to play whatever they want

6 Likes

So when you have Reaper and Mei and the enemy Pharah is wrecking your team it is misguided and arrogant for someone to ask the dps to switch to someone that can shoot Pharah?

Sure, sometimes someone has bad advice or genuinely has no clue what is actually happening in the game they are playing. That doesn’t mean you should just dismiss all advice as arrogant or misguided.

2 Likes

I would switch vs a strong Pharah anyway. He was doing this before we got out the door first round

I think there’s a nice way to ask a teammate to switch.

But people can be pretty rude which makes everything worse.

NEVER… listen to what a Genji says.

5 Likes

she is bad tho… that .4 pick rate aint just for show shes terrible

Hey magatchu88, can you switch pls?

I have 1000 hours on her and can make her work at my level.

which is what private profile

High gold low plat, have had her in diamond previous seasons

To be fair, though, about 50% of the time, I see teammates grossly misjudge what they think the problem is and demand that teammates switch for no reason. For example, I remember one game where the enemy team had a Pharah that wasn’t even doing anything significant, and our Support were screaming at the DPS to switch just because the enemy team had a Pharah.

I’ve also had teammates that tell me to switch off Hammond THE INSTANT that the enemy team has a Mei or a Sombra, even if they are playing terribly and haven’t killed or stopped me once.

I half-agree with the OP, but I can say for a fact that people will often demand switches that don’t help, or sometimes actively hurt their team.

4 Likes

to be fair i just won a 5v6 in low plat (last game on dps) so

I think it’s less about “not switching” and more about “not trashing other people”

Genji trashed you
Pretty much
You should’ve left voicechat and put some music to avoid concentration loss

But switching is necessary
A way to make it sound good could be “Mei, they’re countering you with zarya widow, and can’t really place walls, you think you can switch? You’re doing great”… Sounds encouraging NGL

I agree telling someone to get off a hero because you think their performance is bad isn’t helpful. On the other hand if that players hero is hard countered and they aren’t getting any value because of the hard counter positively encouraging them to play something else because of the countered state can be helpful. But lets face it if they’re staying hard countered they’re not gonna listen.

Even when people try to make positive-sounding requests like that, it can come across as condescending or passive-aggressive. For instance, had one game where someone “politely” asked me to switch off Lucio because they wanted more healing (which, btw, would not have fixed the horrible positioning that was getting them killed in the first place). And when I replied with “No, I’m fine, thanks”, they replied with a snarky “Oh okay, then” and then proceeded to call me trash the rest of the game.

These days, as a matter of practice, if someone asks me to switch off of a character that I want to play (or think that I’m playing well), I make a point to mute them immediately.

Also, it goes the opposite way, of course. I’ll simply say something like “We’re having trouble with the Pharah because we don’t have a hitscan”, and then I’ll let my teammates decide what they want to do from there.

If someone don’t want to switch (for any reason whatsoever), then I’m not going to rage or force them. They have their opinion of what “the problem” is, and I have mine.

1 Like

If they don’t have the sense to do it themselves, they probably don’t have the skill to pull it off anyways.

I agree with this, but the problem is that most of the time people don’t ask friendly, they DEMAND that you do what they want.

3 Likes

I willing stick with my character more if someone point at me and ask me to switch. Even if I, myself, was considering switching. Just because I don’t like this type of attitude.

I do consider those that asks for a general statement that I can cover, if I agree with their assessment of the situation. If the requested hero is in my pool, and I can swap to improve my chances at victory, I will do so.

Eg, “Get out of Torb” is ignored. “Junkrat, can you pick McCree?” is ignored. “Can someone do something about this doomfist diving me all the time?” may lead me to swap to Torb, Hog, Mei, Lúcio or Sombra.

State the problem, propose the solution, let your teammates know and ask if anyone is better at that character than yourself.

“But I’m playing this role and I can’t swap to that role”

If you are on role queue, yep, you are right. That’s why I don’t play role queue beyond the 15 mandatory matches to get my free CP.

If you are on open queue, yes, you can. You just said that something was giving your team trouble. If your healing or tanking or whatever is really necessary, someone else will swap to cover you. If they don’t, you are not in a different position than you was when something was not letting your team progress, anyway.

1 Like