You know those people who say matchmaking is rigged?

You’re literally just trolling at this point.

It happens, because matchmaking, for some weird reason, puts good players with bad players to balance things out.

If you win many times in a row, game views you as “carrying player” and will throw you players you supposed to carry.

1 Like

Obviously developers coded the matchmaking algorithm to detect if you’ve won 2 games in a row to make sure you lose the next one. :roll_eyes:

Considering I’m a Mercy OTP these days, that’s really helpful on the matchmaker’s behalf if true lmao. …Not.
:v: :woozy_face:

1 Like

You made it sounds like it is hard to do.

Also keeping everyone at 50% winrate artificially is just a way to make everyone feel equally viable even if they are bad at games so there is a good reason to want to rig the matchmaking.

Unfortunately, matchmaker is unable to account for heroes picked.

According to info from here Algorithmic Handicapping is Wrong for Online Games - General Discussion - Overwatch Forums (blizzard.com)

certain models are used to calculate odds of winning. But any psychological model has degree of error.

It’s merely speculation on my behalf, but Overwatch “behavior model” seems to be based on pre-existing psychological compatibility of team - as in “everyone work together, play nice”. But real Overwatch team usually is far from that, in more than one aspect. Making calculated odds of winning different from actual odds.

2 Likes

Is it possible that you’re playing the wrong hero at the right times and providing insufficient support for your teammates?

1 Like

I’ve played Overwatch long enough to know when I’m the weak link, but I appreciate your concern. :+1: :blush:

The biggest flaw, as I see it, is that I can’t imagine the development team have updated the matchmaker after implementing Role Queue.

1 Like

Which makes a lot of sense. Think about it. The higher your SR gets above your actual skill level the lower your chances of winning become and the higher your chances of losing become. It should be no surprise that after a winning streak a losing streak follows.

Then there are external factors such as loss of motivation as you realize that you are on a losing streak. This loss of motivation can be huge if you believe the system is rigged against you and will end in a self-fulfilling prophecy. Then your SR is way below your actual skill level and you get on a winning streak simply due to chances, this winning streak then might motivate you or otherwise makes you more engaged with the game leading to more wins. And the cycle continues.

The motivation-thing is just one easy example I came up with quickly. There are a lot of these factors at play, many of which hard to figure out. Easy ones are state-of-mind, how awake you are, stress, etc.

It might feel like it, but feelings should not determine your opinions. That’s the job of reason :slight_smile:

So you prefer to blame the match maker over taking accountability?

1 Like

Honestly I prefer a source that has been “on some level” endorsed by a Blizzard rep/mod.

Until Blizzard comes forward and tells us whats going on, literally all of it is speculation.

The reality is, people’s ego’s are too fragile and they need to find a scapegoat as to why they’re unable to be successful in a video game where they’re playing against other human beings who are more skilled, more intelligent and sometimes, just luckier.

2 Likes

That’s a silly question. I know when I perform badly, and I don’t put those games in the same category as games where I have underperforming teammates. One can acknowledge both! :point_up: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Fair… I’ll give you that…

In this scenario, generally you would benefit from swapping to another hero. In those cases, you put out more value, and you lose less SR if you consistently put out more value than your teammates…

More value and less SR lost, translates to higher SR gains long term.

1 Like

Fortunately I only play Quick Play these days so I don’t have to worry about SR! :v: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’d appreciate it if you didn’t try to tell me how to play a game I’ve owned and played very regularly for 4 years - Sadly my internet is subpar at best which anyone whose read at least 10 of my Forum posts would know, and as a result I work with what I have. Unless I’d rather do zero damage or let my teammates die against my will, I play Mercy and have done so for about a year now.

Not that my experience changed back when I was a flex player, however. But playing Mercy, the only considerable thing I’ve noticed is that I switch between getting teammates hit all their shots to teammates who hit none like clockwork and I observe it in real time.

I don’t see why it is such a stretch to imagine that players who aren’t performing so well get put with better players in the hopes that said better players will carry them. Unfortunately I highly doubt the matchmater has been updated much, if at all, since Role Queue.

1 Like

Because it’s a serious matter that has played one of the biggest parts in the game and has been one of the most thriving reasons for the decline of the game as the handicapped matchmaking has proven to make players’ gameplay experience very bad in the long run as handicapped matches are almost never enjoyable for anyone, which also induces hostility between the players and causes other varying issues regarding not just the enjoyability of the game, but the integrity of the competitive gamemode as a whole

Also

I don’t think it was him, but it has been officially confirmed that 40% is the lowest the system can estimate or else the game won’t be physically able to initiate. However handicapping being a massive problem isn’t really about the 40% chance either. It’s more deeply rooted in the gameplay itself where the team with more highly varying players is much more likely to lose the match against an evened out team with better averages. Only in very rare occasions does the highly varying underdog team get an absolute unit of a DPS paired with an adequate but considerably worse support that enables the team to benefit from that one players’ carry status. However like I said those occasions are very rare and the chances of it happening drastically diminish the better the players are in the game

And that is why you play in group.

Matchmaking simply unable to calculate odds of victory accurately in that case. It would be great, if Blizzard explained to us, what kind of model they used to calculate winning odds. Though I imagine, that it could ruin the game, as players would run their own calculations and leave game, if they don’t like odds they got.

2 Likes

I see this happening already and whenever I’m playing solo I’m doing this as well, because if I don’t leave a match I clearly see is skewed up against me and I’m the one getting heavily handicapped in the match, I end up tilting out of the planet when we inevitably lose the match. Playing with considerably worse teammates against a solid team is just that horrible of an experience. Last time this happened was last night when I thought to myself “oh s— my teammates are so much more worse than the opponents, but maybe these 2 lvl 50 accounts will even things out” and we never got even close to capping the first point of that Anubis push. I traded 2-3 picks for my life many times that match, but my teammates varied between 2800-3200SR while opponents had +4 stack and +3800SR players (surprisingly over half the players had open profiles), so they never even managed to remotely approach the point regardless. Watching that happen again and again while players were typing garbage in the chat to each other was such a tilting experience that I’ve vouched to not give clearly skewed matches another chance for a while :slight_smile: Unless I’m stacking like I 99% of the time nowadays am considering how terrible the solo experience is as a high MMR player

Also yeah it doesn’t calculate odds of victory accurately, as already stated in the starting post quite clearly on multiple occasions. Just the fact that it can achieve an estimated chance of a victory by handicapping (mixing much higher and lower MMR’d players against much more even ones) tells us that when in OW the team with more highly varying players tends to lose every match the higher you climb, at approximately 50% chances to win. Obviously you can still have the upperhand with a handicapped team if your estimated chances are near the 60% upper threshold, but even then it’s a massive liability for your team. This is the problem with the system

Welcome to any solo queue experience in any game ever.

Uh , you know that you are putting TOO MUCH trust on your ability to tell at a gaze the level of skill of ELEVEN players in the match right?
Like I get perception sometimes is accurate, but believing you are more accurate than a system that has access to way more stats than you its closer to dunning kruger effect mate. Just a tip. Dont trust anything too much, including your “senses”.

Also its not rare knowing that most private profile users have something to hide, or are ashamed of being average-low rank … that doesnt happen on High plat and above. At least not as much.

No system can predict the future mate, it does what it can with the given information.
If a dude that plays 4 heroes at Master level decides to “feed” with Ball , which he/she plays at 2300SR level, the system cant predict it … you know that, right?

Since RQ was installed, people have been losing versatility to INSANELY low degrees, so you will get this phenomenon way more often. If you add that to people having a bad day or coming from a loss streak/tilting games etc, you get the “chaos” factor.

Lets keep our expectations realistic shall we? No MM system in ANY game is able to predict chaos factors, so in OW, when you introduce “forced lack of versatility” (RQ) and multiple different tools that you are NOT forced to learn and use at your skill level, you will always get uneven matches.

PS: If you want to “control” your team mates, LFG or 6 stack mate. Option is there, takes more time, but its a trade off. Your call.

1 Like

Oh there’s quite a lot of this on these forums. I’m starting to really feel the depths at which people are genuinely incapable of self reflection.

2 Likes

Just play the game
Reaper flanking always from the same spot and does nothing else, no one on your team recognizes it and feeds to reaper the whole game and looses

The community can be rough some times

1 Like