You guys are the most entitled, whiniest group of people i've ever met

Just a reminder, the game will probably be released next blizzcon, or 2021, we have only gotten a preview of few selected features, that are still in Pre-Alpha testing stage.

Why is movement acceleration inherently desirable? It would make every damage dealer even more potent than they already are, and squishies even easier to kill. This is the first time I’ve ever heard this complaint in relation to Overwatch, and I fail to see why slowing down movement would improve the game.

It’s typically removed because anim cancelling is inherently exploity and dumb. In games where it simply wasn’t accounted for, it’s tech, and that’s fine. That doesn’t mean that it’s some kind of objectively good game mechanic. Anim cancelling is literally an exploit.

It hasn’t removed any kits from the game. Ever. No hero has been added, then subsequently removed from the game. Various kits were reworked. That type of thing isn’t relevant though. New game doesn’t mean reworked heroes go back to how they were. Hell, they could just do that now if they wanted to do that.

So does every game I’ve ever played that has a matchmaking system. Regardless, they’re still working at improving that in the current game. What does that have to do with OW2?

Okay fair enough, but that’s not the type of thing that REQUIRES starting a game from scratch and rebuilding everything around it. Those are extremely minor QoL features that they can add later.

What? What about UX/UI could possibly be related to queue traffic? What’s violated? You queue, you get game. Seems reasonable enough.

According to who? What are some examples of “bad netcode.” People say this a lot, but I don’t think they understand what that means. “I got killed around a corner BAD NETCODE” or “but I hit recall how did I still die BAD NETCODE.” These things aren’t bad netcode. That the server knows what actually happened in these instances means that the netcode is good. That your client doesn’t instantly know when someone else’s mouse gets clicked is unavoidable.

Movement acceleration won’t improve hitreg issues. It also won’t “fix” widow duels, and won’t remove flick aiming. Widows will still flick, and it’ll just hit more often because now there’s no way to dodge. If anything, movement acceleration would make it pointless to play anything but Widow because the game would become absurdly easy, as everyone’s movement is smooth and predictable. Also projectile vs hitscan would just uh…be more in favor of hitscan. By a lot.

Again, I don’t see why movement acceleration is necessary. I like the game without it. Adding it would require reworking almost everything. Seems like a pointless change.

Or maybe, just maybe…they’re just doing what they think makes the game more fun. Weird concept, I know, but game devs aren’t all out to get you. They just like making fun games. And anyway, when is the last time you’ve looked at Blizzard’s books to know that they’ve squandered resources? You’re making a lot of assertions, most of them are just that: assertions.

This standard is observed and set by you. It’s not a standard in my book, nor is it a standard in Blizzard’s book, clearly. You’re out here being a negative Nancy for absolutely no reason. “Change my game, everyone agrees with me” despite someone right here telling you they don’t. You and your opinion aren’t the only ones out there. People are out there right now enjoying OW as it is. Many people are also excited about OW2. You’re saying the game needs to change in all these ways, but not saying why apart from “but everyone’s doing it guys, everyone’s been doing it for forever, we should abide by the precious standard that is FPS gaming otherwise we’re doomed.”

Maybe just chill and wait to see what more OW2 has in store before you start claiming Blizzard is off the rails.

Should’ve waited for it to go on sale or bought an already used one.

Jim sterling has said that 10$ is too much for a game if its not perfection. But hey, he is also a fearmongerer.

1 Like

Jim Sterling is a guy who directly profits from unnecessary outrage :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Slowing down movement and adding acceleration rebalances hitscan/projectile. It solves Widow’s flick-only problem. It adds a skill ceiling to strafing patterns and jukes. It fixes massive problems related to movement that is horribly exploitable.

Make sure to unmute sound;
https://gfycat.com/foolishinferiorkusimanse
https://gfycat.com/magnificentshallowcirriped

Animation cancels are not inherently exploits, and not something that just isn’t accounted for. Blanketly calling it an exploit shows a horrible ignorance for what an animation cancel is, and I’ve spent many a night explaining to people that their preconceived notion of what animation cancels are, is fundamentally wrong.

And right now, it appears to me like you don’t even know what an animation cancel is. Most people don’t, and just parrot what they’ve heard other people say.

Nowadays, animation cancels are literally a requirement for fluid and responsive movement and attacking, and also double a tool to sculpt desirable gameplay.

Once you know what an animation cancel is, they become necessary and constantly appear in ways you didn’t expect that you wouldn’t even bother calling it an animation cancel.

Nor would you think that it’s unfair when it happens in those games. In fact, many times when there isn’t an animation cancel, the action in question feels clunky and unresponsive.

And the fact of the matter is, there are heroes that get it as part of their kit.

Every single element of Symmetra’s kit has been removed and replaced with a different incarnation.

Primary fire, no longer auto-lock. Secondary fire, no longer a phase projectile and now explodes on contact, charges quicker, and has faster speed. Shields removed, barrier replaced, turrets changed, ultimate swapped with basic ability and both completely, functionally different.

Symmetra HAS been replaced, and core parts of other kits have been replaced as well. As for them being able to, no they can’t. Blizzard cannot revisit these facets of gameplay for PvP, and new games actually DO mean that they can go back to how they were.

Black Ops and MW3 removed quickscoping. MW and Black Ops 3 and Ghosts now have quickscoping again.

Halo 2 removed hitscan, Halo 3 introduced projectile fire. Halo Reach and Halo 4 went back to hitscan.

Counter-Strike removed fastswitch silencers.

UX/UI – everything front and center, equal screen presence, and not buried under submenus.

The game literally has multiple instances where it completely disregards an input from a client.

I personally documented dozens of instances of mispredictions.

#1 in this thread, all ten video link examples showing mispredictions. This was allegedly supposed to have been fixed with a patch a year ago, but this Halloween it’s popped up again, meaning they broke their fix.

I don’t expect you to know the nitty gritty as well as I do, but don’t try to speak for someone when they know what they’re talking about.

Just know that you aren’t right anymore than I am, but I at least have history and examples on my side and you’ve made some really horribly ignorant statements… some of them listed below;

All of these are horribly ignorant and indicative that you don’t actually have much experience as you say you do under your belt.

One person isn’t a statistic.

Over a hundred games over the course of 20+ years, and documented evidence IS a statistic. And the person who brings those examples has more weight than someone being contrarian based on their opinion.

At this point, I get it. You’re cemented on your stance and no amount of me going point-counterpoint is going to change your opinion on things. That’s fine, agree to disagree.

2 Likes

1 Like

Imagine championing a company that sides with the literal police state of china.

I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of OW. I bought it for 40 and bought some loot boxes, They are not getting another dollar. Free h o n g k o n g

1 Like

Considering the game hasn’t gotten any real content in the past two years and suddenly content shows up with a price tag, people are going to be peeved.

For other reasons, it doesn’t help that they’ve come out and said they’re going dark until OW2s release. That means the bad balance that plagues us right now is going to carry over in that game. I actually want to play the tank role without boring myself to death.

3 Likes

Personally, I just lost interest after heck all for years.

They can do as they please with it, I probably won’t buy it.

how DARE a company that puts years of effort into a product want to earn MONEY OH GOD NO

EVERYTHING SHOULD BE FREE WAAAH MONEY BAD

• everybody who complains about game prices

I’m super excited don’t get me wrong but people are allowed to disagree. You can’t say “well they gave us PvE so just enjoy it”.

There’s reasons to be skeptical about the writing and the quality of AI right now. Unless the AI is DRASTICALLY improved in comparison to the modes we have already I think everyone here should be concerned.

3 Likes

You’re just complaining about everything that OW is. You’ve said the lack of story is bad. Networking is bad. Matchmaking is bad. Hero reworks are bad. The movement itself is bad. Queues are bad. The UI/UX is bad. Lack of various QoL features are bad.

You’ve got absolutely nothing but negative comments to say about every single aspect of OW.

If you don’t like the game, don’t play it.

If you want the game to be something completely different, then unlucky. Make it yourself or find something that fits your tastes. Don’t expect devs to change the game into what you want.

Pot, kettle. Kettle, pot.

(Also, as an aside, I’m not going to respond to points that amount to “oh yeah, well obviously you’re just ignorant and I’m just smarter than you.” Repeating what I said and simply claiming that I’m obviously ignorant isn’t an argument.)

1 Like

For your mental sanity, the “cryers” are NOT the half of the playerbase, just a bunch of people seeking likes and spread misinformation, remember this playerbase it counts in tens of millions, so if you see 1.000, 10.000 comments are just minority, and this forums always atract that type of people. so ignore all the comments if you like OW2 that is more important than a bunch of kids saying things

What are you arguing? That the lack of story, bad networking, bad homebrew matchmaker, hero reworks that miss the mark, movement systems that violate basic logic, queues that intentionally lose out on traffic due to a bad interface, and missing features are all supposed to be good things?

You don’t criticize something because you want to see it fail. You criticize it because you want to see it better.

Critique and criticisms with specific points are different from completely negative noise.

This wasn’t an insult. You’ve demonstrated multiple times that you do not know the argument that I’m presenting, you do not know how wrong you are with those specific details that you can’t even re-read what you’ve written and understand the flaws in your understanding, and then at each successive reply you try to pick apart my posts with fake strawmans just to get the final word in.

I can choose to explain every single detail and make some odd 2000+ word post, or I can choose to walk way from the conversation because no amount of me pointing out and explaining things will deter you from your stance.

Even if I DID explain everything to you, you wouldn’t give a damn. You and I both know it.

2 Likes

Take monster hunter world as an example, the game was 60$, and its massive expansion was 40$.
I dont think ow2 will be 60$ tho. But expect everything from Blizz

Saying someone is obviously ignorant and dismissing their points is not only an insult, but a bad way to get someone to respond. There’s nothing to say.

“Oh great, you think I’m ignorant. No?”

The point about your criticisms of OW are that you’re criticizing EVERYTHING and want changes to EVERYTHING. The thought there is that what you want is a different game. I, and many people, don’t agree with your criticisms. To respond with “but all these things are bad” is just missing the point. And your word choice implies a bias against the development team in the first place.

I asked a bunch of questions and you answered with “wow, you’re so ignorant.” “but you wouldn’t give a damn” lmao, you’re not even trying to have a conversation.

That’s the exact reaction a sequel is supposed to elicit out of a fan. You’re supposed to criticize everything, or else how are you supposed to get a bigger, better sequel?

You called all animation cancels “exploity and dumb”. I told you animation cancels have a purpose and exist in ways you might not have thought, and I speculate you don’t actually know what an animation cancel is.

You said that I’m calling hitreg a problem because I’m bad and died around a corner. I gave you a link to over 10 video examples showcasing hitreg problems.

You said that if movement acceleration were added, it would slow down the pace of the game + hitscan would be stronger + no one could dodge anything + flick aiming wouldn’t be lessened. I can’t even begin to explain how you were wrong at each successive instance, because you lack the basic prerequisite knowledge of what movement acceleration is. Which, if you had that prerequisite knowledge, you’d know that all of those statements are incorrect assumptions. I also speculated that you were parroting stuff you’ve heard instead of admitting you don’t know what something is and trying to understand it.

You said the matchmaker is good enough, I disagreed and said why, pointing to a Bayesian skill system developed by other entities than Blizzard’s inhouse programming/math team.

You said smurfs and hackers will eventually happen so there’s no point. I disagreed, pointing out that any amount of time where people have fewer problem children in their games, even if it were a day, is worth it.

You said that they could roll out all of the changes I desired now. I disagreed and said that there are things they cannot do because of how they’ve handled the first game, and that it would upset OWL.

You said they won’t do a revert on a new sequel, I gave you examples in other games where reverts did happen in other FPS games and establish a precedent of what an FPS game sequel should do.

You said a sequel doesn’t have to do anything I said. I pointed to a half dozen other games where they did do it that way I said it, that establishes a standard. That I’m not making up the standard, that the past 20 years made the standard and I’m just communicating that standard exists.

You said everything I’m arguing is based on my own observations. I told you that the observations I’m making correspond to 20 years of games.

We’re done here. You and I both know that I damn well entertained conversation with you, and you still responded to each of my posts with fake strawmans saying that I’m wrong, and that I’m opinionated, and that I should leave.

This isn’t a matter of insult. I literally cannot engage with you because you are both figuratively and literally not allowing me to engage in a conversation.

2 Likes

Whatever m8. If you want everything to be done your way, start your own company. Otherwise, don’t use an arbitrary “precedent” to say that what Blizzard is doing is bad by default. You supported your arguments with “but I don’t like these elements of the game” despite the abundance of players that enjoy the game (since beta even).

I’m not disallowing you from participating in conversation. Using “you must not know what your talking about” as an argument is preventing me from participating. I know exactly what an animation cancel is. It’s an exploit. That’s why they get patched out. Fine example: if the animation of a reload is cancelled with a melee, and the gun is still reloaded, then there’s an automatic discontinuity there. Magazine never made it into the gun. If they intended animations to be cut short by interrupt actions, they wouldn’t consistently patch them out in favor of a more consistent and predictable gaming experience. You can’t just dismiss that with “well, you don’t know what an animation cancel is, so obviously you’re just wrong by default.”

You’re the one shutting down this conversation. The only thing you’d accept as “having a conversation” is agreement. That’s not how this works.

Are you in denial? There are literal people that get PAID to play this game, tweeting that the game is in a rough state. A bunch of SK players were tweeting all week about how incredulous they were at how Blizzard handled the World Cup and didn’t provide practice rooms all week.

These players are calling the OW2 announcement bittersweet because OW1 and Blizzard aren’t being handled/handling things properly.

There’s a backlash because people are upset, and you’re treating the upset people like a non-existent party.

No, it isn’t. An animation cancel is where the timing of one action can overlap with the timing of another action. It has nothing to do with being an exploit… animations are flavor texts used to represent hidden timers for every single little thing in the game, and each little thing has a startup, active, and recovery timer… multiple things are designed to have a recovery timer overlap with another startup or active timer.

Stop right there. The entire name of an “animation cancel” is a complete misnomer, because animation cancels are literally only animation cancels if and only if the recovery timer of one action overlaps with a startup/active timer of another action and it ends up being shorter than the sum of its parts – that Action A into Action B is shorter than Action A by itself + Action B by itself.

It has nothing to do with animations being cut short, it has everything to do with those timers, and whether or not you can chain them together.

You didn’t even know that. How am I supposed to speak with you when you claim to know the language, and yet you just explained to me that you don’t actually know the language?

3 Likes