'You can't smurf in QP and Arcade!' they said

C2RPXK

Riiiiiiiight, tell me what this Level 4 Doomfist is doing, then?

God I wish they’d limit people to having ONE account, somehow. Go be obnoxious on your main against your own people.

I know it’s futile. The devs won’t do jack about these and other disruptive players because it makes them money in game sales, because it’d be impossible to enforce on console thanks to the fact that reports go to Microsoft/Sony (who don’t care), because they’re only focusing on the sequel and don’t care about the current game, a million and one other reasons, I know. You don’t need to tell me what I already know.

Just let me be rightfully irritated, and hope that maybe, impossibly, SOMEDAY, this game will be fun and worth playing again.

28 Likes

To be fair, when I was GM, sometimes I would play QP and get matched against silvers and golds regularly. I don’t really think MMR really exists for QP, so smurf or not I really dont think it makes much of a difference, even more so in arcade

Comp is a different story

18 Likes

I would also emphasize that it is perfectly common for a quick play game to have players from any Competitive skill tier on your team or as one of the opponents. This is because there are no group restrictions and these other modes uses a different hidden MMR system. It does not matter if you think a player is a smurf or not in those modes.

19 Likes

That isn’t better. You get how that isn’t better, right?

22 Likes

Not sure what the heck you are talking about. I myself enjoy the challenge of playing against more skilled players and work to find ways to improve my skill. Knowing its in a casual mode, I know the result of the match is not as important as learning and enjoying the experience.

15 Likes

Yes why would we want a game mode that gave us fair matches that are at our skill level so we could enjoy ourselves in the GAME, y’know the word GAME, right?

Am I the only one that is sick to death of everyone acting like 222 is a perfectly fine replacement for the regular game mode that we all had for 4 years? And then on top of that moderators wafting in here and insisting that it’s normal, even enjoyable to get nothing but pubstomped in that arcade mode, the one mode we have that is, y’know, original Overwatch?

Like seriously I tried to like you because you were reasonable to me when I was flippant at you but you are just… So, SO dedicated to ensuring that average players don’t get a fair shake in this game that it makes me really dislike you, WyomingMyst.

I just want to play the game that I bought and enjoyed. I don’t want to have to sweat my butt off in comp, or be pidgeonholed into 222, I just want a normal arcade mode - and I’m not even allowed to expect THAT to be fair.

This game is a joke.

17 Likes

Yeah no one is learning anything getting curbstomped by someone 2-3+ ranks above them, and casual just means that there’s less at stake for playing. Getting curbstomped in a casual mode still isn’t fun.

That’s the PROBLEM. The problem that we have been trying to explain for god knows how many years now, but especially in the past year or so since the game was abandoned by the devs for the sequel’s development. The game. Isn’t. Fun. When things like this happen as frequently as they do.

No one is enjoying this kind of experience except the stomper/smurf and, I don’t know, masochists, maybe.

18 Likes

Literally what does it matter in arcade. The matchmaking there is hella loose already. That Doom could have been on his main and still be put in the same game as you.

3 Likes

The only people who enjoy it are the jerks that I just played against (also, same hat, you and me)

One guy literally named ‘Tilt’ and his entourage of 5 super high level accounts and me with two level 35 accounts, no stars, and another low leveler not grouped in with them - so I have 3 maybe smurfs, maybe new people, and we handily win - until the timer hits 99% and my team gets absolutely decimated.

They drew this out for all three rounds, and each time it was CLEAR that they were significantly better than most of my team, me included. I’m not egotistical, I don’t care about my rank, I care about my EXPERIENCE.

The experience of KNOWING that you literally cannot win no matter what you do IS NOT FUN. It’s not fun for anyone but the jerks who are doing it on purpose over and over again, not trying to win until the last second because they know they can cat-and-mouse it out over and over again and curbstomp some lower skilled people. That’s not a game that’s just a waste of my time.

This game has honestly become so frustrating, the community is maddening with their insistence that somehow expecting fair play is unreasonable or just asking too much - the game USED to give me fair matches, it’s not like I’m asking for something that never existed or couldn’t exist. I’m just asking for what had already worked before but was altered to no longer work right.

15 Likes

I always felt like the game could’ve worked like this:
You match into a map → upon the player select screen, players can call “dibs” on which role they’d like to play during the prep phase → once the game starts, the only way to swap between roles would be to ping another player for a role swap, or a teammate disconnects from the game (to which that team has roles unlocked for the team with the disconnect).

At the very least, it would technically wave off having to wait long periods of time for a match, but then it would become a first-come-first-serve type of ordeal, but that could be dealt with.

2 Likes

Except if the system worked like it should and the matchmaking enforced, I should never have run into that Doomfist at all.

Exactly this. I don’t know when things got this bad but they were never this bad back when I first started playing, and I’m not one of those “oh well everyone was bad back in the beta because the game was new” people, I started in 2018. The game had well been out by then, there’s no excuse for this.

10 Likes

You can’t smurf. What difference does it make if they are level 1 or 1000? You’re just complaining coz you lost.

1 Like

The problem here is that players would fight and argue over roles. We know this because there was a bug when they first introduced role queue for Competitive, but waited two weeks before bringing it to Quick Play. The bug was that Quick Play didn’t have role queue but it had the 2-2-2 ruleset turned on, meaning who ever clicked one of the heroes they got first got to keep that role, and boy were the forums lit with rage posts at the time.

Furthermore, your proposal would require skill rating to be merged into one again. If players were forced to play their worst role, the balance in actual skill among all players would become less accurate. This is not as much of a problem in open queue because teams don’t play in a 2-2-2 ruleset.

7 Likes

It is working as intended, loosely. There’s 7 arcade modes at any given time and the arcade players are spread thin between them. The matchmaking has to be this way so that you don’t get 30 min queue times. Heck some of the modes like low grav already get near those times already.

1 Like

Just let him have his mental breakdown

1 Like

I don’t like being stuck in the healer section when I know swapping to Mei could be a huge help to my team. The whole point of the game is being able to change and fill in what is needed, and being good at determining what gaps your current team has and filling those. I’ve won games that were 6 DPS because everyone was doing their job and doing it well, I frankly don’t think team comp is that important - especially when you’re talking about a ‘casual game’ mode, like the base game was.

Like, the people who really think they need people to be stuck in a role so they have tanks or healers, fine, let them all sweat it out in comp I don’t care.

Personally I think they should have made it more advantageous to be willing to fill in what’s needed to win; if you were playing with your guildmates rather than just rando’s 24/7, you’d probably care a lot more about each match and the experience of your teammates IN that match, because they’d be your guildies, your friends. Instead it’s just some chump I’ll never see again, so why should I swap to someone I don’t really want to play just for them? I’d do it for a guildie, but not some random person that means nothing to me.

If ‘needing’ each role to be filled was so important to the gameplay itself, then they should have designed the game with a system that incorporated that from the beginning. Retroactively changing it 5 years in? Not a good call.

4 Likes

Unfortunately the truth is this, we know that Blizzard is quite literally doubling-down on the role-queue specific rulesets given that they are going to a 1 tank, 2 damage, 2 support 5v5 team format and making very specific balance changes toward that goal. We also don’t have any confirmation that open queue modes (Competitive Open Queue, Quick Play Classic) will ever remain in the game when Overwatch 2 releases.

I don’t blame you if this news makes it that Overwatch is no longer fun to play, but that is your decision. I am not here to tell you to “sit down and eat your food and like it.” I am only here to tell you and the rest of the community this is how it is and what we can expect it to be.

The way I see it, there would have to be a massive upheaval from the community as a whole rejecting the changes proposed going into a 5v5 format, and right now, from what I can see, there is more positive social media reaction to the new ruleset, than negative. That is my observation at the moment, and things may change. Unfortunately if anyone wants old “pre-Role Queue” Overwatch back, then I am afraid they are going to be disappointed.

5 Likes

I’ve been playing the game since christmas the year it came out, and the matchmaker didn’t start out amazing, let me tell ya - It was a bit dicey to begin with, then after the first year got significantly better. I’d say it was pretty good, I got consistently fair and well balanced matches for the most part, like one in ten would be an obvious stomp at most. Then they increased the window of what was acceptable skill ranking - I remember people talking about it, it was in the patch notes, it was a whole thing - but basically they widened the window of what you could be matched with, and suddenly the matches started declining pretty noticably.

I remember going onto the forums and seeing a lot of new posts from people who were confused as to why suddenly the game just felt so different, and it’s only gotten more noticably worse as time goes on and trolls invent new, stupid shenanigans to pull on you so you can’t have a real game experience anymore.

The only people who enjoy the game are the ones who don’t notice the unfairness because they lack the observational awareness, or the ones who are doing things to mess the game up for others. The rest of us are just stuck with a game that can’t give us a real match.

6 Likes

True, but I feel like there should be another option to the current dilemma the game faces (roles having a pretty apparent margin in terms of wait time): Perhaps instead have two roles one could queue for and the player(s) can swap between them during the match? Just something, surely, has to be better than the game’s current predicament?

Then again, they could look into more strict match-making requirements, but that would require a larger pool of players that the game simply doesn’t have at the moment… [contemplating].

Interesting idea, but are you saying this would break the 2-2-2 ruleset? If so I think that risks making the matchmaking experience even worse because a majority of people would gravitate to playing the damage role.

This is the problem that always has to be considered first. Quality of matches versus timeliness of your queue time.